The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wash stall drainage

We are building a 4-stall barn on a new property. The barn will have a wash stall for the horses, but no people bathroom. I am getting conflicting info on how waste water from the wash stall is supposed to be handled. I am checking with the city to see if there are any laws about it (though it has not been mentioned in the several times I have met with them), but I am wondering what the various options are. Many people have told me it can just drain into the sand but our plumber says no way - it has to tie into our septic system. Are those the only two options out there? Anything else I can consider?

It really depends on the code where you live.

I suppose it's prudent when you think you will use a lot of soap and stuff to run it into the septic system...however, you might have to consider that it might overload your capacity.

Ahh, just realized your location... just letting it run off the surface won't do for 6 month of the year

I think my laundry room is not connected to the septic system, but has a field line of it's own...but the drain has given me problems so I have fudged it (I mean, come on, it's going into the soil one way or another....)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I have to imagine there is code for this one and you don't get a lot of choices. My two cents is use big enough pipes so you aren't clogging them! I've been in lots of barns with issues in the wash stall (also with water coming back in when the frost goes in or out).

My old BO built the best wash stall. Brushed cement floor, it drained via the grade from back to front and then in the aisle was a drain like you would see at a car wash (long and narrow). I hate it when they have those little round drain cages, right under the horse's feet, that pop off all the time or clog.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I have a 12x12 drain box in the center of my wash stall. It's a grate with a holey rubber mat over it (like a bar mat) and solid rubber mats over concrete floor throughout the rest of wash stall - grated to center drainage area.

From that grate box in the washstall - I piped the center drain outside the back wall and into a French drain (4' x6' hole filled with 3/4" rock). From the pipe that comes out into the hole - I put a pvc-type box about 2'x2'x6" high. That catches the sand that's washed off their feet/legs from Equiciser. I take box out and dump it every few months.

We hose alot, but rarely use shampoo so I didn't feel my setup would hurt the environment by having soap go into the groud. If I had to run it to my septic tank - I'd have a 700'+ pipe up to the house and it would run uphill somewhat so that wasn't a viable option.

Your plumber is probably correct, as part of his job he'll have to be familiar with codes in your area.

If it clogs it isn't worth having IMHO.

I've used the ones that just surface drain off into the grass, outside of course, used an indoor one in a relatively new barn, it was rather like a combination car wash/gym shower with those perforated mats and I have no idea where the waste water was piped although I'd think because of the location it tied into the washers and thence to the septic. That's a lot of water and depending on the time of year a lot of mud and hair to go down into a septic, the "hair trap" sounds like a good idea - after all they have grease traps for commercial kitchens.

My old county specified that if you wanted a greywater disposal system it had to meet all the requirements of a blackwater disposal system, ie you'd need two septics. The county I live in now is far less picky.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

There's no need (unless it's building code) for it to drain into a true septic tank. Many houses have a regular septic for bathroom waste, but laundry water may go into a separate "dry well" for that. Check to see if that would be acceptable.
    If your barn is far from your house/septic, running a line out to it will be expensive, putting in an entire septic system for a wash stall seems like overkill.

Thanks everyone. We verified with the town that a septic tie-in is not required. So it's just our particular plumber that is opposed. But I should be able to arrange with the excavator to put in a dry well pretty easily. This will not be a heavy use shower...I will have max 4 horses at any given time.