The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kitten & cat food suggestions

I lost my barn cat back in October to thrombosis. He had just turned 11. I haven’t wanted to replace him but the mice were moving into my feed shed. An area rescue had a reduced cost wellness event on Saturday so I succumbed to my neighbors offers of a cat or two and went to the clinic. Happily, both kitties were negative in testing so I now have two new barn kitties. I picked these two because, well, they let me catch them. It didn’t hurt that both are major love bugs. Both have respiratory infections and will be fixed when they get over them. They have not yet hit puberty but are close (so not itty bitty kitties but still pretty young). I have one male and one female. I’m not sure of names yet but am considering Noah and Gracie. I’m still considering name options.

http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/...new%20kitties/

Now for my question, my two house cats are both on prescription food and I’m not sure what the good cat foods are that are out there these days. What do you guys like? They will be getting kitten food for a while longer so I’d love suggestions for both kitten and adult foods.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul There is a kitten and an adult formula

Blue Wilderness canned comes in kitten and adult formula and is a good, low carb wet food. Really, any low-carb wet food is better than the best, most premium dry. Dry foods can cause all sorts of health problems in cats from urinary issues in young cats to diabetes and kidney issues in older ones. The key with kittens is multiple feedings; they need more calories than a full grown cat.

http://www.catinfo.org/

The above link is a GREAT resource when it comes to learning about feline nutrition. The carnivore connection tab on that page is also very good. The vet who wrote it specializes in feline nutrition and it's a very thought-provoking, interesting read that has all sorts of tips for feeding.

They're cutie pies!

When I fostered kittens I fed mostly wet food and switched between the dry the rescue gave me and what I bought myself. They gave all the fosters Purina, so Purina Kitten chow it was.

Chicken Soup is a good food, but my own cats and fosters didn't like it. Mine used to love it, but something changed and now they won't touch it. 4Health that is sold at Tractor Supply is very close to Chicken Soup.

Wellness, Evo, Natural Balance, Eagle Pack, Merrick, California Natural - they're all good foods. It depends on whether you want to go grain free, but mainly just read the labels. Most of the premium foods are very much similiar for adult and kitten foods. I know the only difference I saw in Wellness (canned) kitten food and adult was that the kitten food had 1% more protein.

Those guys look "post weaning" age, so they really don't need kitten food. I agree with the above posters who say wet food, but if you can't, adding water to dry food works well. I can't afford all wet food for all 5 of my cats, so I've been doing this for four of them.

My dry food four have done well on rotating Blue Buffalo, Merrick, and Taste of the Wild. The kitty with inflammatory bladder disorder, who is on wet food and UT treats, rotates By Nature, BB, Evolve, Wellness, and Natural Balance.

Default Thanks!

Thanks folks! I'll take a look today or tomorrow and see what's available here. The girls is now definitely Gracie but Noah just wasn't fitting for the boy. I'm pretty sure at this point that he is going to be Kipling (Kip).
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe