The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I absolutely don't believe in animal communicators, but I would love to know why Connor reacts like a wild Mustang when anyone approaches him too quickly for his tastes. (Despite being a perfectly well-adjusted, well-trained Welsh Cob!)

I would ask why he feels the need to be such a cranky ass. And then I would warn him that if he doesn't stop him, the next thing he will hear from me is that 800DEADCOW aka Valley Protein is on their way to pick him up

1 members found this post helpful.

Your horse already gives you all the answers you need, if you listen. He'll tell you how much he likes his food, treats, bedding, shelter, turnout and YOU. Horses speak very plainly, and they never lie.

I would ask Chip why, after five years here, he is still worried about being touched/brushed by his poll when getting groomed. He checks out totally fine with the chiropractor, vet, and massage person. His atlas/poll is cool/normal and soft/normal to palpate, totally fine. If he is loose, no halter, he doesn't worry. He is easy to bridle, super easy...But halter him and go to brush, rub, or touch him on his upper neck, he tenses and raises his head and gets tight. I can talk him into relaxing, but it's a put-on, he's only doing it b/c I asked, he is not actually relaxed. This horse is a pocket pet, totally fine with us...except for some ingrained bad memory about 'that'. I would be curious to know what he remembers/expects.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I would ask Chip why, after five years here, he is still worried about being touched/brushed by his poll when getting groomed. He checks out totally fine with the chiropractor, vet, and massage person. His atlas/poll is cool/normal and soft/normal to palpate, totally fine. If he is loose, no halter, he doesn't worry. He is easy to bridle, super easy...But halter him and go to brush, rub, or touch him on his upper neck, he tenses and raises his head and gets tight. I can talk him into relaxing, but it's a put-on, he's only doing it b/c I asked, he is not actually relaxed. This horse is a pocket pet, totally fine with us...except for some ingrained bad memory about 'that'. I would be curious to know what he remembers/expects.
    Ear twitching possibly. I have seen so many wonderful horses hate to have any hands near their ears/polls because of ear twitching. That or being treated for ear mites at one point. Had a gelding that had been treated for ear mites at the age of 2, I met him when he was 12 and he was still distrustful about those ears. Wouldn't let you near his forelock either.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Yeah, I know the possibles: I would just be curious to hear his story
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Would love to ask where all the scratches & bites were coming from & why will he not stand up for himself.

"why are you so expensive?" would be mine (: unhelpful, i know.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Why do you poop in your water bucket?

Why don't you jump the fence and eat grass if you're so danged hungry in the dirt paddock?

What on earth do you SEE in that corner of the arena?

Click here before you buy.

(Both horses) Seriously...your own poop cannot POSSIBLY taste that good...

Bailey - Do you realize that we actually CAN make it through a dressage test without you impersonating a giraffe (even though you warmed up and schooled perfectly) and that you will get lots and lots of cookies when that happens??

Bailey - How is it that you'll gleefully gallop into a water jump on XC, but if we come across a puddle on the trail, you snort, sidestep, and glare at it like it's Lake Placid?!

Sky - What the hell happened to that leg, (Horse has scar tissue that we are pretty certain came from stall kicking) and did you REALLY bow a tendon, or just fake it? (Previous owner was told he'd been retired from track training due to a bow, but there is NO scarring on any leg. I know this happens, but it's still just weird)

Jax... How badly and where do you hurt? How bad does your saddle feel? Will you please stop tormenting my mother when she rides you. I know you won't hurt her and it is funny when she squeals like that, but she doesn't find it funny. And please stop enticing your brother to chase you. He isn't supposed to be running!

Dublin... Do you really love me as much as you let on? You do know I love you endlessly, so when I pick your stall while you are on cross ties (across the aisle from you) there is no need to do your version of Riverdance and nicker the whole time. When you get better, can you please carry yourself in canter, because it's exhausting for me to do it. Do you actually like to jump? Will you please let me clip your bridle path, scissors aren't cutting it, literally. And stop running, spinning and rearing, you're injured, not that you noticed, and I would really love for you to heal.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

What's your problem??

and, I am embarrassed to admit, but I would ask the "do you even like me?" question.

Some owners do communicate with their horses. If they've not lost their sixth sense.

Our conversations are usually our owner whining about things, and we warmbloods telling her to do more for us.

I would ask my horse if she thought the animal communicator was as crazy as I thought.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mom23monkeys View Post
    And do you believe that there are special people can communicate telepathically with horses? Or just a big hoax?
    I have had experience with an animal communicator when asking about a dog that was having issues. I called and asked for a reading. When I called back a couple of days later she related that she communicated with the dog and told me the day and time, and that the dog would have been relaxing laying down in the yard. I remembered that he was, in fact, doing that at that time. But the thing that really got me was the cat. I have always had more than one dog, and at the time only had one cat. A couple of weeks before this, while alone in the house, I had rhetorically asked the cat if she would like me to get another cat, so she would have "an ally against all those dogs". There was no one in the house, I only spoke to the cat, and told NO ONE about the conversation. When speaking to the communicator, she said "But don't get another cat!" I had been talking to her about the dog, and was surprised. I looked down and saw the cat staring at me from the door, and the communicator reiterated that the cat did not want another cat in the house with her. That I had asked her the question, and this was her answer. I'm not making this up. So if she can talk to the cat, why not the horse? I would ask what happens at the barn when I'm not there and is there anything she would want me to know?

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

I'd ask my horse why s/he and his/her brethren acquiesced to stupid humans running their lives.

I would ask my girls both the same thing:
    what are you? where did you come from? what was your life like before me? how about before the people who didnt feed you? were you wanted? what happened to you?
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids

animal communicator ah near and dear to my heart

Why does my Mare act so strange on the way out on the trail and back in same area?

Answer. she does not like the feel of the leaves under her feet. that was nice to know and only place we ride that has leaves on the trail.

Normally ask how do you feel today or how does he feel today?

Have a head shaker and that answer is nice to know.

How do you like your blanket? This answer gave me a chuckle. " Love my Pink Pajamas"

Why do you bang at your gate.
    "Because i can"

It was funny to hear which horse was the most loyal.

Feel it depends on the animal communicator on what they can do.

One of my horses wants to be my #1 horse. Shot a glance at him said, well that horse allows me to ride him and not buck mom off. He is not broke yet.

It amazes me what they like or dislike. Seems they think the horses that are taken on the trail are special horses.

ML

I would tell her
    I love you sweetie, you are the BEST girl in the world. I think she knows this.
    I would ask her...
    What could I do that would make you more happy/comfortable.?
    How come you decided that you don't like your horse trailer anymore? (used to ride in it with other horse, no scrambles). Will only haul in bigger trailer.
    Can you do that beautiful extended trot that you do when turned out when I'm riding you?
    What do you like to do best? (I think she would say eating, sleeping, being adored, and running (she is an OTTB after all).

That's really interesting thread that i landed on to. The best thing one can offer to ones pets is caring. They only need care and affection and they would do anything for you in return of that.