The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What would you ask your horse if you could communicate with it?

And do you believe that there are special people can communicate telepathically with horses? Or just a big hoax?

I think some people are better at interpreting horse body language than others. I believe that the only thing the over-the-phone communicators are experts in are reading humans.

If there was a magic person who could do it, though, I'd ask if there was anything about his life that he really dislikes, so I could try to change or eliminate it.

I'd ask the old guy if he was in pain anywhere and what I could do or have been doing that makes him feel comfortable and good.

Big ol' hoax. I DO believe that there are people who are more in tune with horses, or their horse, and get that "something's wrong" feeling, or are able to put it all together to get that great ride. But as far as asking what do you think of the color of your saddle pads and that horse across the way is calling me names and getting an answer, over the phone??? Um, no.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Why the HE!! wouldn't you cross that bridge today?!?!?!

In all seriousness, I think we communicate pretty well. I'd been worrying about and afraid of said bridge for a week (it was a Cowboy Challenge obstacle, not a real bridge, which we cross all of the time). I think there are people with a much better sense of or attention to animals who can read them pretty well. I am pretty good with my own animals, and occasionally other random critters, but it's not like they talk in words.

I'm first, I'm first!!! that is what she would say or something like me, me, me all done in kinda a high voice. I can't hear her but he body language is very clear. Spoiled!

I don't believe in it but...

For my one mare, I would ask why she feels death is coming any time she can't see her buddies... Especially when the farrier is out. She is doing better but I still would love to know!

For the other... I would just want them to tell her how much I love her, and what an absolute joy she is. I try to pamper her and treat her in a way that shows it, but I doubt she could ever know how precious she is to me.

1 members found this post helpful.

The jury's still out as to whether I believe, but I'd like to know if he likes me? He whinneys whenever he sees me and when he was boarded he would run up from the field when my truck pulled in.(anytime of day)! Whenever I call him he comes.(better recall than my GSD any day of the week).
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

My horse is such a chatterbox his communicator could'nt get a word in edgewise....and he's a snitch, too
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

5 members found this post helpful.

First I would ask him how his back was (he has kissing spines...) then I would just talk to him.

I think there are people who are more in tune with animal behavior and body language than others, and people who are more gifted with animals than others but I do not believe that people are able to communicate telepathically with animals (especially not over the telephone)

That said, if it were possible, I would like to ask Princess why in God's name she INSISTS on sticking out her tongue at Judge Potts, and only Judge Potts, every time we see him at a horse show(and even if it's at a show he is competing at and not judging!) It's like some weird equine stalker fetish. We canter behind him, she cocks her head and PHHHHHHT then he turns and looks, I put left leg on, she pops tongue back in mouth like "who, me? I'm a pretty girl doing everything right!"
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

2 members found this post helpful.

one I would like to know he is in no pain and then I would want to know WTH when he wants to go and I won't let him he can do the most lovely collected canter almost lope but when I ask him to canter he acts like we are at the races, can we please please please just pick up the canter and canter

I am not a believer, but have in desperation considered trying a communicator, but figure the day that I do, my SO will have me committed.

I would ask, what is wrong with you?! What hurts and how can we help?! I have a horse that has stumped the vets and I'm nearly out of options. Even the super fab lameness vet was lamenting the fact my horse couldn't talk.

Now an exorcist...I'm all for that, if anyone knows of one. Kidding... Well, unless you think it might work...
    Last edited by horsepoor; Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: iPad induced typing error

Horse #1 - do you feel any pain.

Horse #2 - do you like me even just a little bit?

Why are you so danged hard to catch, but will follow me around like a puppy dog as long as I'm not holding a halter?

I'm still undecided about the horse communicator issue. There are times that I just get this premonition or intuition about something out of the blue, and its always right on target, so I do wonder if there are some people out there who have an even greater, heightened, sense of awareness and spiritual energy. I firmly believe that there is an unknown spiritual energy attached every living thing that gives it its' uniqueness. How else to account for the different personalities of people and animals that are otherwise bred identically and raised in the same environment? Something makes us all special and unique. The mere existence of that phenomenon makes me think there must be some type of unique energy that each of us emanates that perhaps allows others with a heightened sensitivy to perceive.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I would ask her what the heck freaked her out in the barn 2 weeks ago when she broke out of her stall and wiped out in the concrete aisle !

Why must you walk into the barn to poop? Why can't you all ( 3) just stay outside and go there??

I think animal communicators are a scam on the unfortunate people who use them. If we take the time to get to know our animals, their habits and moods we will know when something is off or wrong.

To Saintly Schooling Pony- 1. SHUSH! 2. You are loved and I really will bribe you with however many cookies you want if you would just be a good pony for the DD. 3. Could we work out a signal you are about to be a jerk to the DD so I can have ice cream ready for the tears. 4. Lateral work will not kill you
    To red headed pony- Either be nice to DD on a more consistent basis or I will ride you more often and neither of us want that. 2. You are not qualified to teach the DD balance by impersonating a bronc, you haven't gotten her off yet but if you do I will ride you and then pay every barn rat in the city to ride you. 3. I know you like being pampered but eating gold glitter will make your poop glittery. (again)
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

His registered name so I could look up his pedigree so I could scour the world in a vain attempt to find a horse a millionth as nice as he is.

I'm the original skeptic when it comes to animal communicators, but while wearing my best, cocked-eyebrow, suspicious persona, I did witness an unusual event last week.

Best friend has recently acquired a VERY stand-offish, don't touch anything behind my shoulders or even stand there for that matter, mare. She (the mare) is carrying her first foal, and friend is trying to get her used to having her udder touched without getting her head kicked off.

Enter animal communicator, who is learning Reiki and offered to work with mare as a test case. After measuring and attending to her various chakras (sp?), and standing in the stall with mare just "offering" energy, I witnessed a major transformation. Mare visibly relaxes, starts chewing and yawning and doesn't seem to care that animal communicator is standing next to her, near her hindquarters.

Maybe its just the ability to read body language, but I definitely saw a change. And I saw mare revert back to her normal, crabby self, immediately after Reiki session ended.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Default I talk to all my horses, always have.

Sometimes, I hear what they say. Not always, not every horse. It's not audible, but it's there. Some make statements, some ask questions. Not always my horse, or one I love, might be someone else's or my own. Sometimes they hear me, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they don't like my statement or my answer. Over the last several decades I could hear 5 or 6 quite clearly. Didn't make them any easier to ride or train always.

As far as body language, it's always been so incredibly easy it's almost instinctive for me.

Do I think there are people who could communicate with every animal? I'm not sure every animal talks. Do I think that someone could phone it in? Nope.