The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just had to share

Had a succesful ride today- had to share . My 8 yr old horse is getting restarted now after having a lot of time off for health issues. He is in great shape and Ive been bringing him back now for about 6 months. He has developed a habit of opening his mouth and pulling when he doesnt want to go forward. Its irritating! So I put a figure 8 noseband on him. The first time I rode him in it, he was trying to figure out why he couldnt open his mouth but he was still moving off my leg- just not as much.

today, he wouldnt move at all. So I made him turn in circles by opening my hand and turning him. After about a half hour, he was willing to walk to the left but not trot - he would stop and kick out. My reins were loose - he just wanted to be able to open his mouth and pull and I was done with that! So we did more circles. I finally got some trot but every time we passed the gate, he would stop, back up, fling his head around and paw the air. temper temper. so we did more circles. I figured at least that way I could keep him from rearing. He isnt a rearer, but he was plenty mad! What was to be a half hour hack, turned into an hour and a half session. He finally gave a big sigh, put his head down and trotted peacefully around the ring both directions. Gotta Love it when it works!

Glad you had a good ride, and good for you for sticking to it until you got the result you wanted! So many riders are not aggressive enough and will give up- then their horse has their number. But not yours, so good job.

Thanks!
    I knew if I didnt conquer this today, that he would continue to question whether he really had to go forward when I asked. Clearly I don't want that to happen.

We are supposed to have snow tomorrow. Hopefully it will get delayed because I want to get on and do this again tomorrow - just to make sure he remembers!
    My guy is usually good natured. But when he gets an attitude, it can become a problem. And he's big. He's 17'2 so I want him to know that I am in charge - and he is not! Im pleased at how we resolved this today!

Kudos! I am going through this same sort of thing with my horse right now. The turning in circles and disengaging his rear end is what I do, too. Glad to hear it's working for you.