The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink Farriers - A non-hoof related question for you

So I'm a curious as to how you all would handle this situation.

Background: small barn with my horse, friend's horse, and 2 racers off for the winter. Friend and I use different farriers.

Story: Friend (we will call her "A") goes away for a week and I farm sit for her. The day "A" leaves her horse pulls a shoe. I leave message for "A" (because at this point she is still on a plane) and call her farrier to leave a message. Message goes like this: "Hi farrier I'm Jane Doe and I am farm sitting for a client of yours, "A" while she is out of town for a week. "A"'s horse lost a shoe today. I am unsure of your normal procedure/turn around time for replacing lost shoes but would appreciate it if you could call me or "A" back and let me know when you can replace shoe." yada, yada, I leave my number and figure either "A" or I should hear from him within a few days.

I don't hear from farrier. Fine I do have an out of area cell number, but assume he has contacted "A". He never calls "A" back either and she ends up calling him after she gets back into town to set up an appointment.

SO.....
    How would you handle a call like this? I realize I am not a regular client and farrier doesn't know me from adam, but horse and "A" are regular clients.

Thoughts?

As a hoofcare provider I would make a return call to BOTH "A" and you to facilitate the best for the horse. "Professional decorum" simply demands that.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Well, not a farrier but I always allow that a message may go astray & do at least 1 follow up call

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

This is sadly more common than most think. Many farriers in our area are not the best at business. They can forge a mean shoe, balance a horse right but don't expect them to call back, show up on time or even be nice to ya.

I think it stems from a few things. Many guys that get into farrier work are not very worldly and just don't have the interpersonal and business experience to uphold the paper side of their practice. And some have super huge egos and just don't give a crap about calling the "little guy" back.

I am super blessed with the hardest working, punctual, business-like, workaholic blacksmith. I treat him like a god.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Well, not a farrier but I always allow that a message may go astray & do at least 1 follow up call
    I am a farrier and I definitely appreciate this attitude. I've missed messages because they came through so garbled that I didn't even know who had called, or even just because I checked it at a time when I couldn't return the call right away and either accidentally deleted it and didn't have contact info or just got busy and forgot. It happens sometimes. If he's normally reliable and good about returning calls I wouldn't hold this one time against him.

Boy is that dilemma common. And it's something that everyone should plan for when leaving town. Call your farrier and your vet and tell them who is barn sitting and what to do if something happens.

I boarded where one of BO's horses stepped on his clip and impaled it in his hoof. I don't know when it happened, but the next morning, when horse came in to eat, he couldn't walk on that hoof. Barn sitter did nothing but put horse in a stall. . I said call BO and call her farrier. Not done.

Ended up, I called BO's farrier who had apprenticed under old farrier, so I knew him for years. Uh, it's Friday morning, he's busy and maybe he could get there after 7:30pm or not. OK, horse is dead lame. I called my farrier. Who was on the way to gym with his girlfriend. I whined. My farrier, who only did my horse at that barn, came out, pulled shoe, and said horse was probably going to get an abscess so plan for that. I told barn sitter. I had epsom salts and icthammmol and diapers and SMZs and everything needed to prevent or treat an abscess. Barn sitter did nothing. Horse got abscess. Which ended up being a bad abscess, since it was not treated until BO came home a week later, and horse's farrier came out a week later and popped it out. Oh and horse was for sale, so people who were to come look at him were told not to come because he was lame.

I then bought my own tools to pull shoes. So far, that BO used them, hmm 2x, and I used them once on one of her horses. Cloudy and Hattie haven't needed them. But I sure learned that you need to make sure that farriers and vets and barn sitters know who is to do what and when. That horse would have had that clip impaled in his hoof all weekend if I'd not called and begged my farrier to come out. He was not amused. And charged accordingly.

I've always authorized my farrier and my vet to go treat my horses when I was out of town. When I worked, I travelled often. So I said I'd pay for anything, no matter what, just treat the horses!

My farrier comes when I call. Good boy!

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    I've missed messages because they came through so garbled that I didn't even know who had called, or even just because I checked it at a time when I couldn't return the call right away and either accidentally deleted it and didn't have contact info or just got busy and forgot.
    This is certainly a good point, although I think less likely in this specific case (farrier has a business land-line and I had made several other calls at the same time with no garbling issues). By all means I'm not trying to "go after" this farrier or judge him personally, I was more curious to hear what you would do if receiving a call like mine (do you call me back, owner back, both, neither). Just trying to get a feel of what standard practice is in this type of situation.

Ah, I get you. If I got a call like that from the farmsitter, it would depend a bit on the client. Some I'd have no problem just talking to the sitter about replacing the shoe, but others I wouldn't so much as touch the horse without talking to the owner. I'd call someone back though.

Quote Originally Posted by Odie222 View Post
    SO.....
    How would you handle a call like this? I realize I am not a regular client and farrier doesn't know me from adam, but horse and "A" are regular clients.

Thoughts?
    Within 4 hours of receiving your call I would have called my client to confirm and returned your call. Regardless of who got back to me or even if the situation continued with phone tag, I would replace the shoe within 24 hours of the original notification call because that is my written business policy.

I don't expect other farriers to run their business this way because most horse owners aren't willing to pay for the additional 40% overhead involved in managing a high availability farrier service.

Default FARRIERS IN MY AREA WON'T EVER CALL BACK ! FREQUENTLY DO NOT SHOW UP FOR SCHEDULED AP

I AM NOT ALONE IN THIS ( THEY TREAT ALL CUSTOMNERS LIKE THIS AS THEY HAVE A MONOPOLY ) ```BUT I WISH TO EXPRESS THAT ....

FARRIERS IN MY AREA NEVER CALL BACK NOT MATTER WHAT THE PROBLEM IS :

SHOE OFF
    IGNORE APPOINTMENTS THEY HAVE MADE
    SOMETIMES HAVE THEIR 'SISTERS ' CALL AN HOUR AFTER THEIR DESIGNATED TIME ...
    TO OFFER UP HIS ABSENCE BEING DUE TO ILLNESS ... HE WILL CALL TOMORROW....

WHICH TOMORROW ?????...

THESE ARE FARRIERS ON THAT "LIST'

THEY JUST DON'T NEED THE $$ ?

YES, I PAY CASH AT TIME OF SERVICE....

YES. I HAVE ENOUGH WORK FOR THEM BUT NOT TOO MUCH ....
    FULL DAY OR IF THEY PREFER TWO HALF DAYS...

ANY DAY OF THE WEEK ...
    ANY TIME ... GOOD LOCATION

YES ! ROOFS ON THE BARNS

AND YES `` HORSES AND PONIES THAT BEHAVE ... ALL "FINISHED" NO VICES
    STAND ON CROSS ` TIES

BUT IF "THEY' DON'T FEEL LIKE WORKING THAT PARTICULAR DAY
    HEY ... THEY WILL NOT EVEN SHOW UP AND OR CALL.

ALL I CAN SAY IS I HOPE SOMEONE TREATS THESE 'GUYS' LIKE THEY TREAT THEIR CUSTOMERS ...!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Boy is that dilemma common. And it's something that everyone should plan for when leaving town. Call your farrier and your vet and tell them who is barn sitting and what to do if something happens.

I boarded where one of BO's horses stepped on his clip and impaled it in his hoof. I don't know when it happened, but the next morning, when horse came in to eat, he couldn't walk on that hoof. Barn sitter did nothing but put horse in a stall. . I said call BO and call her farrier. Not done.

Ended up, I called BO's farrier who had apprenticed under old farrier, so I knew him for years. Uh, it's Friday morning, he's busy and maybe he could get there after 7:30pm or not. OK, horse is dead lame. I called my farrier. Who was on the way to gym with his girlfriend. I whined. My farrier, who only did my horse at that barn, came out, pulled shoe, and said horse was probably going to get an abscess so plan for that. I told barn sitter. I had epsom salts and icthammmol and diapers and SMZs and everything needed to prevent or treat an abscess. Barn sitter did nothing. Horse got abscess. Which ended up being a bad abscess, since it was not treated until BO came home a week later, and horse's farrier came out a week later and popped it out. Oh and horse was for sale, so people who were to come look at him were told not to come because he was lame.

I then bought my own tools to pull shoes. So far, that BO used them, hmm 2x, and I used them once on one of her horses. Cloudy and Hattie haven't needed them. But I sure learned that you need to make sure that farriers and vets and barn sitters know who is to do what and when. That horse would have had that clip impaled in his hoof all weekend if I'd not called and begged my farrier to come out. He was not amused. And charged accordingly.

I've always authorized my farrier and my vet to go treat my horses when I was out of town. When I worked, I travelled often. So I said I'd pay for anything, no matter what, just treat the horses!

My farrier comes when I call. Good boy!
    THIS could have been avoided by having the know how and tools to pull the shoe yourself. It isn't hard, and really is invaluable. I was thankful for that skill when I helped a neighbor at a show unstick their horse from a trailer mat I've had many horses pull shoes and at the very least spring them, at the most do bad damage to their foot because of the clip. Waiting for my farrier to show up when I have a clip jamming into someone's foot is not going to happen for me...whether he's prompt or not. Ask your very good farrier to teach you how to do this next time he's out. He'll also be able to point you in the direction of tools you may need.

As for the OP...well, I never expect much of farriers when it comes to common business sense. Yes, I know there are guys/girls out there that rock at that kind of stuff, but most of the ones I encounter, no matter how good they are at the business of trimming and shoeing horses, SUCK at things like returning texts, phone calls, leaving bills, etc. I constantly tease my farrier (a good friend, as well) about it. I also know that he's a young guy with a new business and is trying to get better/learn from his mentors mistakes. But, I forgive him when he's MIA for a day or two because he does a fantastic job, is extremely knowledgeable, and has made huge improvements to my horse's feet.

Always call back if you don't hear from them and you need to. I pester the crap out of the farriers in my barn if I NEED them (have to say, most are good when I tell them it is urgent).