The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default another TB pricing question

So I'm looking for a project and I've know what recently off the track horses are going for via Canter and other sites but what about a TB off the track that has had some time off, in a program and just knows the basics? Like w-t-c and maybe a cross rail or two?

Well, a lot will depend. I think it would be reasonable to see them in the 2-3k range, but I also know plenty of people who instantly price OTTBs at 5k the moment they are on the farm (which I have no problem with and have done myself!).

That being said, my former horse was basically what you are describing, and a saint to boot at 3 years old (baby sat the older show horses on trail rides). We got him for 1k...because they wanted him off their payroll, he wasn't fancy enough for their program (nice hunter barn...for the record, he totally could have been a hunter. Very cute. He was/is a fantastic xc horse, though!), and we offered cash.

So, to be fair, expect to pay 2-5k...give or take a bit for fanciness, temperament, age, color (yep), size, sex, and whether it seems capable of the "job" the people who have it want it to do (ie, Vernon was cheap because he wasn't a hunter. He'd have probably been a lot pricier had he moved on the flat like they wanted him to).

Smile

Thanks Yellowbritches! That helps a lot! I wish I had the guts just to buy something off the backend of a racetrack. Maybe in my youth but now.... I need to know that the horse won't kill me

i buy lots of tb's off the training farms here in ocala. i work for an equine vet and know most of these horses since they were foals or weanlings.i bring them home give them some time off and restart them, then sell into the perfect new homes. hunters,jumpers,eventers. whatever they decide they would like to do.i knoiw their backgrounds and also most of their medical history.that really helps. i tend to get them before someone pushes them and injuries occur.i just sold a really nice 5 yr.old. w/t/c and jumping small fences for 3500.00. he will be doing his first beg. novice in march and they love him!
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Quote Originally Posted by pasodqueen View Post
    Thanks Yellowbritches! That helps a lot! I wish I had the guts just to buy something off the backend of a racetrack. Maybe in my youth but now.... I need to know that the horse won't kill me
    Go buy one of the Trainer Challenge horses

(tho not BW unless you're a very confident, consistent rider - she seems to be the least ammy-friendly horse in the group)

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post

(tho not BW unless you're a very confident, consistent rider - she seems to be the least ammy-friendly horse in the group)
    I guess I disagree.....I'm an ammy rider and she absolutely would be my personal pick.

As for pricing...it depends on the horse. I've paid over 5K for unstarted TBs and one that was off the track but had no re-training.

If the horse had all the bells and whistles....good size, looks, real quality movement and looked to have scope for jumping...they could easily be 10K at the level described by the OP.

I've also paid less than 1500. Depends on the horse, depends on the seller etc. One thing is certain....just because you can buy a horse cheaper right off the track...doesn't mean that the horse for sale should be cheaper.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

BW is also my fav but watch all of ED's videos with her - she is much less forgiving of SP (compared to his rides on the other's) - & the OP sounded a little less confident

Personally I'm hoping that ED ends up with her

ANywhere from $200-10,000 LOL

A horse is what someone prices the horse at. But with WTC and jumping small fences, if trained right - all the basics have been done and those who know TBs know that once you solidify the basics with a TB, you have most of the hardest work done. Solid WTC and over small fences - assumes to me the horse could do a training level dressage only test well enough.

So then you look at size, age, temperament, ridability, soundness and talent.

Is this a horse that could go to BN or N or T or MORE?

Is this a cool minded TB who is courageous over jumps? I have had horses for sale for a TB rehab - placed probably 50 for them and a few I sold at an 'adoption' price of $10,000. No one should think ever these were rescue horses. The money went to feed 80 plus OTTBS that were never going to do more than be in retirement. So I sold them for what I thought they were worth. That said, one of the ones I sold for the most - trainers later who worked with him could not believe he had been so cheap.

That horse was hard to ride because he was OOOZING with enthusiasm but he could jump the moon and was young, 16.2 hands and courageous.

But hunter trainers thought he was crap. Jumper trainers thought he was MARVELOUS. And the owner was once offered over 20K for him as a dressage horse.

At the same time, I placed horses for $500 that had solid WTC and low fences because there was baggage or something (one horse had lost an eye). The point was with those horses to find a really good home that would provide for the horse based on the problems.

THEN of course, there are people who are desperate to sell and you catch them at the right moment. A friend bought a TB with WTC jump for $1.

I recently looked at an OTTB that was VERY talented. He was $3200. He had a solid WTC and jump at 2'6". I thought he was a STEAL. But too much horse for the 14 year old girl shopping (who bought a QH in the end).

Definitely a wide price range. I would say mostly in the $2000-$10,000 range, usually no less than $4500 if being sold by a professional.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

(tho not BW unless you're a very confident, consistent rider - she seems to be the least ammy-friendly horse in the group
    )
    I beg your pardon...you are 100% WRONG, seriously before assuming a ride you haven't sat...........

"What Yellowbritches says..is correct on pricing...."

Our horses are all up to approx $2500 doing just that, and yes we have placed quite a few nice fancy upper level prospects for that price. (Solidify is an exception bc of the RRTC but if he had stayed home he would have been there-after the challenge he was still under market value....) Plus, we give full disclosure, stand behind them forever, and do transfer ownership.

PS, why does everyone think BW is not an ammy friendly ride? Eric is an amazing rider and she is an awesome mare, but not necessarily a pro ride from what I saw......except for the fact that pros will want her in their barns....
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Thank Bev, BFNE...luv you guys....

I don't think the OP was looking for "made" WTC, just one that has the ability to do some WTC under tack that has proven not to be either unsound or insane. It certainly is noce to know if they are confident enough to hop over things and if you can get a gauge how they use their shoulder over a jump you get a better idea of what you have. None of the Challenge horses are "made" WTC, though under good pro's they may look it. I'm sure tey are need fine tuning and each trainer indicated that if they had 3 months rather than 5 weeks they'd have done some things differently. The OP will have as long as she wants with her project.

The price will depend on how much the seller has invested (pro trainer, vet chiro...?) and how much they want or need to sell (new shipment of 3 horses just came in!!) and if they have any sort of "star quality" in addition to the basics of soundness, age and temperament.

I'd snap up any of those Challenge horses (yes, Brazil first) because he added value of having been able to SEE the training they got over the last 5 weeks is priceless. Strangely enough, the horse who was "wildest" to start and missed 3 weeks (High Level) would probably be my second choice.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I've sold mine anywhere from $800-$2500.
    It usually depends on how much I buy them for, their age, movement and how much I've ridden them. If I buy them cheap I try to keep the price low enough to sell quickly but still make a profit. Then I put that money into my next project.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10