The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Laundry sink for water trough?

ok....I'm going to have the water during turnout available inside the run in. (spigot in barn right beside dutch doors leading into run in) I have already had electrician put in a GFI/covered outlet in a safe spot on the inside wall from aisle to run in, for later ability to plug in heated bucket/or tub. If I got a large enough laundry/utility sink, I could during winter, simply set same heated bucket/tub inside it....use drain hole for plug feed through.....)

anyway. I would like? the ability to 'drain' a watering vessel for cleaning times...into a tub/bucket underneath. (keep in mind, I'm only going to have 2 or 2.5 ( maybe a mini) horses on this property....

So, I was thinking of the laundry type sink, where I could use a plug/drain it when needed......

anyone done this? Is anything with a 'drain' going to be problematic?

TIA!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Depending on how cold it gets where you live, you may be able to line the sink with insulation and place a bucket in it without needing to heat the bucket.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

hmmm. See what you mean, Frank, but...
    I want to use the actual 'sink' for water containment most of the year...(so I wouldn't want to line with insulation) I was only noting that for the brief months (central va) that water may be freezing, I do have and have planned for the heated/cords/etc for that need.
    My bigger concern with this whole idea, is if anyone else has indeed used a laundry/utility sink with drain/plug before, and if it works, or if they are leaky/problematic at the drain area
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

The neighbor kids used a bathtub to water the ponies. I guess nowadays folks would have a heart attack at all the edges the thing had but they shoved it into a corner and nobody ever got hurt.
    IIRC there was a regular drain plug in there and it worked fine, but there wasn't a whole lot of clearance under the tub to pipe it away so if you drained the tub you had a swamp right there at that end of the tub. We were in CA and it didn't freeze hard in our area.

I had a double laundry sink, one of the really heavy cement ones, but I used it on the ground as a manger and truthfully I wish I still had it. We have a plastic laundry sink with legs and I wouldn't use that around the animals if you paid me. It's much too lightweight.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

thanks Re: hadn't thought about the 'lightweight' issue.....

yeah, the 'on the ground' drain is something I want to avoid, as this is in the run in.

so...I suppose IF I go this route I will have a bolted on pressure treated surround 'frame' so the 'lightweight' part is solved, and horses protected...that way, I could still place/hang a bucket underneath for draining times....
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Why don't you get a Rubbermaid stock tank and put it up on blocks? It's got a drain, just at the end.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible