The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Unhappy New slaughter plant application makes mockery of unwanted horse theory?

The horse meat lobby is trying to buy a facility in MO to set up a horse slaughter plant. Apparently the application to the local board says the proposed facility will breed horses on site in addition to trucking in. What?? Breeding?? I thought the whole point of horse slaughter was to 'take care of the unwanted horses.'

I bet the plant owners are grateful to all those who endlessly perpetuated that talking point to help get the defunding overturned and pave the way for them to breed the ultimate Frankenhorse for European dinner plates.
    "There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" ~ Sir Winston Churchill

What's that noise? A train?

Lemme toss some coal in the engine:

I've said it before and I'll say it again; you better be a vegetarian if you're whining about slaughtering horses or raising them for meat. I care for several pet cows, and most days I actually prefer them to most horses. All three of them have their own personalities, quirks, and likes and dislikes. There is NO difference between one animal and another, which is why I choose to eat none of 'em.

well, you breed them you kill the 'OMG the chemicals' argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Well, there's always steroids and antibiotics.

but they are in cows, pigs and chicken, too....

I am going vegetarian: Have Girl Scout Cookie!
    GNU Terry Prachett

I will be interested to see where this goes.....I don't know enough about it but it seems to me that breeding and raising horses for meat would not be a reasonable thing to do financially....if someone were to try it, I will join the picket line.

Dude, we are animals too. Breeding an animal for slaughter is cruel. I mean, we don't do this to humans, do we? If they are going to slaughter horses, slaughter the ones with really bad conformational/temperamental issues. The ones that cant be used for anything. Same goes for cows and chickens and pigs and every other animal on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy60 View Post
    Dude, we are animals too. Breeding an animal for slaughter is cruel. I mean, we don't do this to humans, do we? If they are going to slaughter horses, slaughter the ones with really bad conformational/temperamental issues. The ones that cant be used for anything. Same goes for cows and chickens and pigs and every other animal on the planet.

Let me see....
    Oh, right:
    Without the meat demand there would be hardly a big, cow or chicken in sight.

A quick history of the horse:
    Up until the 1950s horses were heavily used in agriculture. Then - after WWII - tractors started to make their mark and many farms replaced their horses with machines.
    This caused the following:
    Many warmblood horses went to the packer. Especially the heavy blood lines.
    many draft breeds went nearly extinct. It is no accident that Percherons and Belgians are so strong in numbers: The appetite for horse meat in France demanded comparatively large herds t be kept around. By the 1960s the domesticated in Europe was in danger of becomeing a thing of the past.
    What saved their bacon was the increased amount of spare time and money that allowed people to pick up the hobby of riding.

Food for thought, pun not intended.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I don't see the money in this. When slaughter horses can be had for a few hundred dollars, how can you breed and raise a horse to even break even. After the 11 months it takes to carry the foal at meat prices. Would hate to see the standard of care of the broodmares there.
    And how many months to grow the foals until they are big enough to slaughter? Unless they are going to try and promote foal as the next veal, good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jolise View Post
    I don't see the money in this. When slaughter horses can be had for a few hundred dollars, how can you breed and raise a horse to even break even. After the 11 months it takes to carry the foal at meat prices. Would hate to see the standard of care of the broodmares there.
    And how many months to grow the foals until they are big enough to slaughter? Unless they are going to try and promote foal as the next veal, good luck to them.
    Really, why go to the expense of breeding them when you could just hire Kelsey Lafever to dupe people out of them?

"Mockery" you say?

Ever gave a thought to what is to demand horses be euthanized by animal control shelters like we do dogs and cats, euthanizing clinics and then dispose of that poisoned carcass?

We are so terribly wasteful already, guess that also rich enough to just throw away all that a horse can be once we can't use it any more alive.
    All that food and other products SOME horses can be for us thru slaughter, have been for centuries for us, as the natural, renewable resource they are for us in ALL the uses we make of them.

Not only that, why would anyone else but those running the slaughter plant and regulating the slaughter plant have a say in this?
    If it is not YOUR horse, you don't really have anything to say about it.

There are plenty of animal rights extremists, some posting right here, that think horses should not ever be trained and used in any way, not for carriage horses, not to show, not to trail ride, not even as pasture ornaments.

There are always some with little to do trying to tell others what they can and can't do, is there.

I do think anyone wanting to open a horse slaughter plant today, in the midst of all those real, seriously crazy, deranged animal rights extremists out there, that will try to blow the plant and the vehicles of anyone working there, as they just did in CA, I think anyone wanting to take those chances, well, are a bit foolish:

http://agricultureproud.com/2012/01/...cattle-trucks/

Does anyone else remember when this BB wasn't an emotional trainwreck? When discussions could get heated and there was disagreement but at least the information was intelligent, well thought out and from experienced folks.

I miss that.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Does anyone else remember when this BB wasn't an emotional trainwreck? When discussions could get heated and there was disagreement but at least the information was intelligent, well thought out and from experienced folks.

I miss that.
    Well, some complained to me that COTH was anti rescues, so they were not posting any more.
    All I could think, when some rescues have been questioned, as some were questionable, some that supported them, rather than fact finding and coming back with answers, got huffy about it and left.

Maybe I was wrong, maybe it was, as you say, the "emotional wrecks" gushing over every rescue story, they were missing.
    Seems to me there are plenty of rescue threads anyway, no one is anti rescue at all.

Interesting thought.

YEA!!! another slaughter thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    "Mockery" you say?

Ever gave a thought to what is to demand horses be euthanized by animal control shelters like we do dogs and cats, euthanizing clinics and then dispose of that poisoned carcass?

We are so terribly wasteful already, guess that also rich enough to just throw away all that a horse can be once we can't use it any more alive.
    All that food and other products SOME horses can be for us thru slaughter, have been for centuries for us, as the natural, renewable resource they are for us in ALL the uses we make of them.

Not only that, why would anyone else but those running the slaughter plant and regulating the slaughter plant have a say in this?
    If it is not YOUR horse, you don't really have anything to say about it.

I disagree. Do you think it is also the case that we shouldn't "interfere" if children are being abused? Is it okay to starve a horse to death, as long as it is not mine?

There are plenty of animal rights extremists, some posting right here, that think horses should not ever be trained and used in any way, not for carriage horses, not to show, not to trail ride, not even as pasture ornaments.

I must have missed the post where someone here said that horses should not be kept confined? Or ridden?

There are always some with little to do trying to tell others what they can and can't do, is there.

I do think anyone wanting to open a horse slaughter plant today, in the midst of all those real, seriously crazy, deranged animal rights extremists out there, that will try to blow the plant and the vehicles of anyone working there, as they just did in CA, I think anyone wanting to take those chances, well, are a bit foolish:

http://agricultureproud.com/2012/01/...cattle-trucks/
    The pro-slaughter rationale has always been based on the fact that we have an unwanted horse population. Breeding more horses seems to negate that arguement.

The Breton Horse in France is raised for both draft and meat use (I'd bet meat use is primary, today). IIRC there are other breeds used for that purpose, also.

For most of human history the horse more a source of protein than a tool of transport. That changed about 10,000 years ago with domestication. Still, in places like France, Iceland, and Japan there remains a market for horsemeat.

Since we don't have many breeds in the U.S. that could be economically successful as "meat horses" I don't see anybody doing that beyond someone who is going for some "high end" niche market (like Kobe Beef).

That somebody puts raising horses for slaughter in an application for a license doesn't make a mockery of anything.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post

I miss that.
    Me too.

If this is just an application to a local board, it's normal to toss in everything except the kitchen sink. Most development applications are like that. Doesn't mean anything. It's just part of the process.

Certainly something for county residents to monitor and be involved in if they are interested.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    The pro-slaughter rationale has always been based on the fact that we have an unwanted horse population. Breeding more horses seems to negate that arguement.
    Wrong, just means they want to be profitable and have a regular supply. Doesn't mean they won't take other horses.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy60 View Post
    I breed meat goats. They have a very good life until one day they are taken for a ride.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    I disagree. Do you think it is also the case that we shouldn't "interfere" if children are being abused? Is it okay to starve a horse to death, as long as it is not mine?
    -
    -
    Nope, there are many good reasons to have horse slaughter, not just one you happen to object to there.

As so many do, you assume that somehow abuse has something to do with slaughter, which it doesn't, any more than abuse in any other place, be it some backyard or rescue.

The antis use the abuse card all the time.
    Shame on them for following animal rights propaganda.
    Divided we will all fall, AR will win, no more domestic animals and you know what, that happens to include ... horses.