The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bank Barn renovation photos anyone?

Hubby and I are getting ready for a big project- designing our new forever place. Right now there is a very nice bank barn there that we will be renovating. I need some visual ideas for layouts if anyone has any they can share?

The tough part is that I have to share the barn with my dad, who will have some cattle in it, so I cannot take over the entire thing. Makes things a little more complicated as far as water (right now there is one spigot, and I foresee some sawing through concrete to run more water lines)...

Visual inspiration, PLEASE!

Will you be using the downstairs or the upstairs? What is the dimension/shape of the barn? My barn is a traditional center aisle barn (not quite 3x as long as it is wide) and the 'cellar' is not finished, so my renos are not all that unusual - stalls along each side of the aisle. Some of the stall sizes were determined by the location of the big beams/posts.

I just saw one such double purpose barn this week, not a bank barn, but on a small hill.

They had a larger metal building, open in front, with 1/3 of the East side their cattle pens alley going into there, a circle and the working cattle chute there, exiting back south into the alley and cattle pens below.

The other 2/3rds of the barn had a tackroom, that also had cattle medicines in there, three 12'x12' stalls and a two stall area full of beautiful hay.
    The middle was a 12' alley and the front part, still under the barn, had six nice stalls and runs from the stalls, then an alley and more cattle pens, the runs and aisle then outside, in front of the barn.

Looked like a great layup for that double purpose, horse barn and cattle working facility.
    The wind was blowing 60 m/h and cold from the North and it was nice and cozy in there.
    The North wall had windows, that I think would make the area less hot in the summer.