The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Young mare not eating all of her food

My thoroughbred mare will be 4 in April. She gets alfalfa and bermuday day and night and also pellets twice a day. She ALWAYS eats the pellets first and then the alfalfa. She munches on the bermuda for a bit. For breakfast yesterday, she left alot of the alfalfa and the pellets. She has also gone back to dunking her hay in her water. She stopped doing that when she had a small automatic waterer but at the new place the automatic waterer is the size of a small bucket and is on the ground. Could it be her teeth? I'm worried!

Quote Originally Posted by Koniucha View Post
    thoroughbred mare
    gone back to dunking her hay in her water
    new place
    I'd be concerned about ulcers.

Ulcers were my first thought too, especially because you mention a "new place". It's well documented that stress can cause ulcer flare ups, although alfalfa is a good buffer.

It wouldn't hurt to have her teeth checked, but usually that show up more in dropped feed, rather than not eating. Give you vet a call and run it by him/her. Some will just advise a round of gastroguard even without making the farm call. As far as her dunking? She's doing it because she can. Lots of horses are dunkers. It's a pita, but I haven't really found any good way to stop them. The bright side is she's getting lots of water and that can help prevent colics.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I'd be concerned about ulcers.
    ^^^ This

My mare dropped down to only nibbling her feed when her ulcers flared up, and eventually stopped eating and drinking.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Should I get her teeth checked? I'm sure that she is still growing new ones because she is young.

FWIW, my mare had her teeth done when she was going off feed, the vet was convinced that was it...it was not. She had severe ulcers. It of course cannot hurt to have her teeth checked, but the fact that you moved her recently, and that she has resorted to dunking, may be an indication of something more than just her teeth.

I would have a vet look her over entirely, and not focus on just her teeth.

What "pellets" do you feed her? And how much? (weight, not volume, that doesn't tell a reader anything useful )

The pellets are the Sacate(sp?) brand alfalfa bermuda blend. I do not know the weight, it is two of the smaller scoops twice a day.

So its a pelleted roughage?

Aside from her non-eating issue at hand right now, why do you feed her an alfalfa/bermuda blend pellets if she is already getting straight bermuda hay? I would feed an alfalfa pellet since alfalfa has a slight buffering effect on the tummy due to the calcium in it.

My mare was just treated for ulcers, and they recommended 6 pounds of alfalfa per day (be it pellets, cubes, or actual stemmy hay), and unlimited grass hay that we feed in bales (timothy mix). She also gets NeighLox daily.

Interesting link about roughage type and gastric ulcers.

http://www.ker.com/library/PopularPr...s-07-12-31.pdf

I feed her the mix because that is what she was fed before I got her, but I will go to a straight alfalfa pellet. This is my first horse, so I am new to nutrition. I have learned so much!

Edited to add: I guess my thinking too was that I wanted her to have some alfalfa but not that much due to it giving alot of energy and she is a young thoroughbred.

You also probably need to add a good multivitamin/mineral supplement to make sure all of her nutritional needs are being met if you're not feeding any other concentrate or fortified feed.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

So I went to see her today and talked to the BO. She gave her some banamine and let her out for the day. I had to leave but she called me and said that she was running around and started to eat. I came to see her later and she was standing and eating. I hope that she will feel better. The BO was thinking maybe a mild colic?

Please call your vet. Not eating is a serious symptom and the reason could be so many things.. Some of which, Banamine is counterindicated for. And ask your BM to not administer drugs to your horse without discussing it with you first unless it is a life or death emergency!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

You might think I'm crazy but I've learned the hard way to never give banamine first before having horse checked by a vet. I've seen way to many horse's symptoms covered up by pain killers. It can also be hard on the GI tract. If she is still not quite right I'd have a good equine vet check her out asap. Don't fool around with this.
    I have a rule: the vet can give 1 dose of banamine (after a thorough check of horse) & if the horse comes out of it not 100% then it's off to the equine hospital. Usually this ends in just needing IV fluids. At least you have the colic angle covered.
    If she's not really showing any colic signs, perky, happy, just not eating everything, try some gastroguard or just have her scoped.
    I'm always concerned about impaction colics when bermuda hay is fed.
    Good luck & keep up posted.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Had to add to be sure to put her on a good probiotic for daily use.
    Also, if she does want to eat, be sure to make her feed into a sloppy mash. Add some mineral oil for a few days if she'll take it in her food. This is only if she is 100% though. Again, if she's not 100% I'd get vet asap. Don't ever ever ever take risks with colic. It can get bad very quickly.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Just wanted to post and say that she is herself today. Worked her a bit in the round pen and she was kicking up her heels! I have no idea what the problem was, maybe she had a cold? I am so happy she feels good again!