The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a small puppy to adopt in Michigan.

Thinking of taking my rant to the menagerie section, but let me briefly state it here: a lot of animal rescues are SERIOUSLY WHACKED with their crazy restrictions, militant red tape processes and awful communication, not to mention surly attitudes that make one feel like it is a huge hassle for them to be contacted at all.

I am nearly ready to give up. I want a little dog. Have had dogs ALL MY LIFE and have bred, shown, and raced sled dogs, raised Leader Dogs and Leader Dog puppies. I live on a farm. Responsible pet owner, but does anyone want to work with me? Well, yes . . . ONE rescue that's 600 miles away was beyond polite and helpful but the puppy I wanted had already been adopted.

Anyway. I could go on, but I shall refrain.

If anyone knows of a puppy that fits the general description to follow, I'd appreciate it! Happy forever home to Mr. Or Ms. Right!

Small (adult size < 25#)
    Short haired
    Young or puppy (< 6 months)
    Healthy, active, not orthopedically screwed up as it will be doing a lot of roaming around with me
    IDEALLY a cross of Frenchie, Boston Terrier, TINY pit bull type on the VERY small side. Something like a Bo-Chi or a French-Pin would be just perfect. Brindle my very favorite-est color and goofy ears and an underbite are BONUSES.
    Click here before you buy.

Sounds like the guy I adopted last month except that he's more like 1.5 years old but still very puppyish...

Deltawave, I adopted two kittens from this shelter in 2010. They are a VERY small shelter that tries to do the best they can with what they are given. I check their website regularly, although it gets updated about once a week.

For better or worse, it's a who gives them the money first for an animal, no application form to fill out, no waiting, etc.

http://www.animal-control.org
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

try bowling green/warren county humane ,ky

i have had numerous dogs from there, and they deliver all the way up the east coast, perhaps go north west as well.......give it a try..........they can tell you ALL about each dog's personality, and will accurately match you with what you want........i am a 4-time winner with dogs from them, and friends have done just as well..........

You might want to try some local animal control shelters, low adoption fees and the animals don't have much time to get adopted.
    I know the one in Monroe County (SE Michigan) is usally pretty full, very surprised how many purebred and smaller dogs end up there.

Good luck with your search.

You have a PM
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

You have another pm.

Me too. Denied by local rescue....but have one rescue from Animal Placement Bureau in Lansing and Adopt-a-pet in Fenton. You can send your info to either of them and they contact you with available dogs if they don't currently have what you are looking for.

I also have a good friend that volunteers for the Boston Rescue and she thinks they do a great job. Mid Michigan Boxer Rescue - Adoptable Dog of the Month - Fern! This little lovebug has been with MMBR since she was about 9 months old. She was born approximately October 2007 (so she's around 4 now) and weighs a petite 33 lbs...A perfect size! We're guessing she's pitbull mixed with boston terrier?

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...04488248_n.jpg

Hmm, funny ears, check
    small size, check
    short haired, check
    healthy, check
    just over 6 months, mini pitt type body, very active and LOVES to go rambling with you.

His mother ran out in front of my car, very skinny except for where she was VERY pregnant. I stopped in time and brought her home... She and one puppy got homes but I still have two brothers, one who looks like a black and tan Doxie and this little guy;
    http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...DSCF0270-1.jpg

This picture is from December, but he is still every bit as cute. Shipping to you would probably be less then what most rescues charge.
    I'm not an official rescue, just soft headed, err, I mean soft-hearted. But I'll always take them back, no questions asked and help you any way I can.

If anyone's interested, I still have the doxie looking pup, the Blackmouth Cur who might be this yellow guy's father (opened the car for the momma and big yellow fellow jumped in) and Satan's beagle for adoption as well.