The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Black Morgan Mare in WNY

It is with a heavy heart that I post this! Miss mare was intended to be my all-around, dressage/trail/pleasure horse, and eventually my kids' horse. Unfortunately, I think she'd be MUCH happier with a different career/situation. I have the time to ride and work her 1x a week tops, and can't keep her in full training forever.

I am giving her away because I have no idea how to market her! I am not very familiar with the breed, and I don't have any connections in the driving world, where I think she would excel.

The Good:

She is sweet as can be, loves to be groomed, and is easy to handle. She is not spooky. She loves people and is the first to come to you in the pasture. She is not mare-ish at all and in fact acts more like a gelding. She is homozygous black, has a gorgeous tail, and looks like a mini Friesian. She turns heads wherever she goes. She is currently 14.2hh at the wither and 15hh behind. She should finish around 15-15.2hh. She is a 2007 model.

Her sire is JMF Black Thunder, the 2010 Walnut Hill Champion in Cross Country Obstacle. Her siblings drive and her sire has had good success competing in driving. http://www.geneseevalleymorgans.com/stallion.html

She ground ties, round pens, longes, ground drives. She knows verbal cues and is an expert at reading body language. She W/Ts under saddle, is soft in the mouth and moves off the leg.

She is an independent, confident, somewhat dominant personality. She'd probably make a superb trail horse or driving horse for someone that wants to go out alone.

She has always had the best care and is up to date on dental, worming, shots and trims. She is a very easy keeper. She ties, leads, loads, bathes, clips, is good for vet and farrier. She has wonderful feet and is barefoot. She is a very easy keeper.

The Bad:

She is difficult to fit a saddle to, has a forward girth groove, and is opinionated about how the saddle fits. She can buck with the best of them at the canter, most especially if the rider is off balance or the saddle is NQR. She might benefit from regular chiro.

She is sensitive and athletic and in terms of riding, I don't think she is suitable for anything but an experienced rider. She would do best in regular work, with a rider who can laugh off her baby antics and keep her in a consistent program.

She does best in a small herd situation as far as turnout goes. She's been turned out alone, in a group of 5-6, and in a group of 20+. She seems to prefer the alone or small group situation. With a large herd, she feels the need to be the Boss Mare and keep everyone in line, which involves a lot of running around and shuffling horses to and fro on her part

She is currently in professional training with a super trainer and is being worked daily.

Some photos and vids:
    http://pets.webshots.com/album/580682001HRVbkP

I will include her AMHA papers and I am ok with someone wanting to take her on as a possible resale project.

I will require references and I will check them! PM me for more information. Serious inquiries only please!
    Last edited by FlashGordon; Feb. 24, 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: more info
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Perhaps her sire's owner could help you market her?

There is a market for Morgan driving horses....especially in the Northeast/New England. She's gorgeous. If she were mine I think I would be sending her to a driving trainer vs. riding......since it seems like that was what she was born to do Im sure you could at least get your expenses back......and more. Good luck....and picture her put to a cart. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyperch View Post
    There is a market for Morgan driving horses....especially in the Northeast/New England. She's gorgeous. If she were mine I think I would be sending her to a driving trainer vs. riding......since it seems like that was what she was born to do Im sure you could at least get your expenses back......and more. Good luck....and picture her put to a cart. Wow.
    Thank you!! I appreciate it. She IS very lovely, and a high quality animal, IMO. I am at the mercy of being totally uneducated when it comes to Morgans, and driving... but if I don't place her in the next month or so I am seriously going to consider sending her to a driving trainer, and hopefully selling her that way. I know my husband would love it if I could actually recoup some money. lol.

Perhaps you could get in touch with Forever Morgans. http://www.forevermorgans.org/ It is a network of Morgan owners all over the country who watch for Morgans that need homes. Typically they take horses in need of rescue. I'm not implying that in any way, but it is a large group of Morgan lovers.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    Perhaps you could get in touch with Forever Morgans. http://www.forevermorgans.org/ It is a network of Morgan owners all over the country who watch for Morgans that need homes. Typically they take horses in need of rescue. I'm not implying that in any way, but it is a large group of Morgan lovers.

Actually, their main focus appears to be brokering Morgans for AC4H.

Make sure you read up on Forever Morgans before thinking about contacting them. Here's some of the highlights:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=321167

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=329208
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Ah yes, I remember that thread, thanks guys.

I'm not in a hurry, and will be very picky about her home... and like I said, if she doesn't go, I'll consider sending her out to be trained to drive and be sold this spring.

I appreciate the input though, COTH is good like that.

Default morgan mare

Please contact me about this mare as I am Very Interested in her!! I have a 17year old niece that rides and shows morgans with me and we currently own a black gelding and a Friesen..
    I look forward to your response..

dewy1@live.ca

Miss mare is on her way to her new home in PA, with a friend of a friend. I couldn't ask for a better home!

I had loads of inquiries and had the luxury of being choosy about where she was going... thank you to everyone who took an interest in her and passed her information along.

Congrats, Flash!!!

Great news! Now don't give up on finding the right horse for you and your children.

There are lots of good horses out there which will be good for all of you. Just keep looking.

Thanks guys. She is a lovely little horse and I'm glad she is going to a great home. The new owner is very adept at training and is a quiet, kind, patient horsewoman who is used to this type of horse. I am looking forward to hearing about their adventures together.

I'm sure when the time is right, another horse will find me...

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    Awesome!
    Ditto!
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."