The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can I sell a massive red oak tree?

We had to drop a huge tree by our barn and now it is just laying there. We do not have the equipment to cut it or move it. I put an ad on Craigslist for free but I am wondering if there is any value to the tree? Heavy equipment can easily get to it so if I can get some replacement lumber out of the deal I might need to change the ad.

I'm not positive, but I think a big red oak should have some value. I used to work with a guy who did a lot of woodworking, and remember him talking about someone cutting a tree like that into boards rather than firewood. You might try giving a woodworkers supply a call.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

One red oak log is not worth much. It's worth about $15 a ton, unless it's perfect enough to be used for veneer. Loggers these days don't deal with single trees. It just takes too long to set up the equipment, that most won't even look at anything less than a sizeable acreage. You might find someone with a portable mill that would want it. Do a search for portable saw mill forums, and ask there.

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...c,56120.0.html

If there is small hardwood mill in your area they may be interested, but likely won't pay for it, but at least save you the cost and trouble of cleaning it up. The value of red oak has plummeted in recent years. That coupled with it only being a single tree makes it a tough sell. I think your original CL ad is probably your best course of action.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I will just leave the ad as is and hope that someone will come and take this wood away.

Mills usually don't care for trees that grew near a residence or something like that. Chances are, one time or another somebody whacked a bunch of nails in there. Too risky for the machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

When we were clearing property a few years ago pine was more valuable than oak
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

What about asking a portable saw miller?

we live in MA and had someone come to our house to saw up one of our trees into boards. I am not sure of the price in the end $100- $300? a few years ago.

then maybe you can sell the boards or use them yourself?

If the tree is that big someone specializing in quartersawn oak might be interested in it. You could google it for your specific area and see what pops up.

Do you have any event barns near you. Some Eventers may find a way to get a big log onto their X-country course :-) Might cross post in the eventers section
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    Do you have any event barns near you. Some Eventers may find a way to get a big log onto their X-country course :-) Might cross post in the eventers section
    THIS. Awesome idea.

Someone did post a while ago..or maybe I stumbled onto it elsewhere, that there are some companies that will clear an area for you and return the trees to you as boards. More ideal for people wishing to clear a pasture (then they get their boards for the fencing back!).

Any other barns near you that may want to invest in some more pasture fencing?

I have had some calls already from the CL ad. At this point I would just be happy for someone to come and take it. I would love the oak boards but just can't handle all of that right now. It just needs to be gone as it is blocking one of our favorite trails.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Log blocking a trail? One of my jobs is to replace logs that have rotten that were across trails on purpose. I can tell you for a fact that a red oak log lying on the ground doesn't last nearly as long as a white oak. Putting blocks of treated 4x's under them helps a lot, but the lift capacity of my front end loader is only 2500 lbs. so some of them have to sit on the ground. I can drag ones I can't lift.

If it's already across the trail, it would make a perfect cross country jump. Good luck getting it gone.

Nancy!

Contact Woodmizer to see if they have a customer in your area with one of their portable mills. I have engaged a local fellow for this several times and the cost was very reasonable...and I do use the lumber for woodworking purposes after I air dry it for a few years.