The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USEF Drug Rules and Forms

Upcoming recognized show and my gelding may or may not need some Ventipulmin. He has been having RAO issues. Doing well, but will be stalled all weekend for the show, so it might trigger some worsening of symptoms.

So, what do I need to do?
    Did I read correctly that there is a form at the show I just fill out that says what he was administered and why?
    Does it need a vet signature?
    When do you submit the form? I was thinking I wouldn't give him any unless he is having trouble breathing during my warmup.

Ventipulmin is Clenbuterol, and as such is a forbidden substance.
    If a forbidden substance is given for therapeutic reasons, you have to get the drug form from the show office and submit it immediately after giving the med.
    A vet doesn't have to give it, but you must give the diagnosis, and the name and phone number of the veterinarian who prescribed the medication.

Then you have to withdraw the horse from showing for 24 hours.

Well, I guess I completely misunderstood.
    So what is the point of the form, if I have to withdraw him anyway?

And I guess I am just supposed to stop showing, because he might start coughing from the conditions at the show, and not treating the acute symptoms could lead to a permanent condition.
    This is disheartening.

And, because I am mad, my hypothetical friend can mask her horse's lameness or sore back with Bute, but I can't give my horse the equivalent of an asthma inhaler?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddys Mom View Post
    Well, I guess I completely misunderstood.
    So what is the point of the form, if I have to withdraw him anyway?

And I guess I am just supposed to stop showing, because he might start coughing from the conditions at the show, and not treating the acute symptoms could lead to a permanent condition.
    This is disheartening.

And, because I am mad, my hypothetical friend can mask her horse's lameness or sore back with Bute, but I can't give my horse the equivalent of an asthma inhaler?
    The point of the form is to save you from a drug violation if the horse returns to competition and is subsequently drug tested. without the form you could be subject to fines and or suspensions.
    And your 'friend' can not mask anything with bute because the allowable dose is so low that it may make a horse more comfortable but it will not mask lameness.

Your vet may be able to suggest an alternative medication that is legal.

If the horse is that compromised perhaps the best thing would be to not show till it's condition improves. Your vet is your best advisor.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    The point of the form is to save you from a drug violation if the horse returns to competition and is subsequently drug tested. without the form you could be subject to fines and or suspensions.
    And your 'friend' can not mask anything with bute because the allowable dose is so low that it may make a horse more comfortable but it will not mask lameness.

Your vet may be able to suggest an alternative medication that is legal.

If the horse is that compromised perhaps the best thing would be to not show till it's condition improves. Your vet is your best advisor.
    My horse is fine when kept mostly outside and fed his hay on clean concrete or mats without bedding. I cannot replicate this in a show situation so he may or may not start coughing.

Yes you are right that the low dose of Bute will not make a lame horse sound but I would argue that my horse is more sound than the horse that needs Bute to move evenly behind.

And the vet's other suggestion is prednisolone, starting at least a week before I might need it and then tapering it down. The side effects and risks rule that approach out in my mind.

Default Usef

Call the usef hotline for medication. very friendly and helpful, 800 633-2472.

that way you know the current rules and get it from the source.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurrider View Post
    Call the usef hotline for medication. very friendly and helpful, 800 633-2472.

that way you know the current rules and get it from the source.
    I just did, thank you.
    Just confirmed what I was told above.
    He can take it no closer than 24 hours out from the competition, provided I complete the drug form.
    24 hours out from the competition he will still be at home at not coughing.

I took him to a clinic a couple of months ago at a GORGEOUS facility.
    After a few hours in the fluffy shavings bedded stall with fine hay thrown in the corner, he was coughing and wheezing enough that people were asking me if he was contagious.

I now go back to that same facility every three weeks for lessons and I do not put him in a stall while there and he is completely fine.

I guess COTH has just saved me $264 in entry fees (times the five shows I was planning to do).

Any shows close enough that you can trailer in for the day? Avoid the stall?

Sure - there are schooling shows with judging so erratic that my trainer told me to disregard their comments. Like this verbal gem after my halt, "Go all the way to C and then try to make your turn 90 degrees." And, the ever-popular "You are on the wrong diagonal". And, the 70% given to a horse so on the forehand that he really didn't even need his hind legs. [This is not sour grapes. I scored well in the schooling shows, but I didn't feel like I could count on the judges' comments to be accurate.]

My horse does not do well standing tied to a trailer, as I suspect many of your (general you) horses don't. He isn't my old 4-H QH gelding, that's for sure.

I just got off the phone with my vet. She is going to research other inhaled options. She gave me a heads up that they are expensive and the delivery mask is expensive, and that she is not sure they are legal. Once she calls back, I will call the USEF again for confirmation on the specific meds.

Of course, we won't know if the inhaled stuff will even work for him, so it might end up being a $264 slumber party for him.

Vet just called me back.
    All of the inhaled stuff is illegal too.
    Her suggestion for a legal medication is Dex.
    This makes no sense to me that Dex is allowed (with a 12 hour withdrawl) but Ventipulmin is not.

So instead of:
    Get there Saturday morning instead of Friday night
    Bring mats for the dirt floors (hope I get lucky and get a more level stall)
    Bring pelleted bedding
    Give Ventipulmin Saturday morning if needed and Sunday morning if needed

My vet-recommended USEF-approved plan would be:
    Get there Saturday morning instead of Friday night
    Bring mats for the dirt floors (hope I get lucky and get a more level stall)
    Bring pelleted bedding
    Start Dex Wednesday and give daily through Saturday evening, making sure to time it so he is off it for 12h before my ride time Saturday and Sunday

Got it. Excellent job protecting my horse from me, USEF.