The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hawk Trailer: what to do!

Hi! I don't have a trailer... only show about 5 times a year, would probably do more fun things if I had one. I used to have a trailer that wasn't anything special (and I already have a full-size towing vehicle) and I miss the freedom.

So I browse used trailers... (because what horse girl doesn't?). But I just found an almost new Hawk trailer, 2H, BP, dressing room, FULL of bells and whistles, for about 3K less than new. Pristine condition. Should I just bite the bullet and get it? They seem to hold their value - what is your experience with that? Anybody have experience (positive and negative) with the Hawk trailers and want to share?

Go for it. "Buy a trailer" is never the wrong answer!

Love my Hawk, too...great trailers and very user-friendly, easy to handle.

Get it! I am saving up to purchase a trailer in the future...not having one really does limit you to all the fun stuff. My aunt is the one with the trailer, so I have to depend on her and her schedule. She has a 2H BP trailer that she bought new and it's nice. I think her's is extra tall which I like for my 16hh TB's- nice and comfortable for them. I have no complaints about the trailer- love how light the ramp is, most everything the horse directly touches is padded. My only complaint is that she didn't get one with a dressing room, which the one you found does! If I were currently looking for a 2H BP, and found one like you described (a Hawk), I would purchase.

Plus I always see people at shows/trail rides with Hawks and if lots of people have them, lots of people must be happy with them!

My hawk is currently being made and i am super excited! get it!!! and show us pics!

Get it! I love my Hawk.

Hawkes really do hold their re-sale value...all of mine I got pretty darn close to what I paid brand new when time to get more Bells n Whistles....

Buy it!! I LOVE my Hawk!! I have a 1999 2H bumper pull with dress and it has held up beautifully. It looks just as good as the newer, more expensive trailers at my barn. It's spacious and light on the inside and every horse I've hauled on it has hopped right on. I love that the ramp is made of super-grippy rubber that doesn't get slick if loading in the rain or snow. I pack a disgusting amount of stuff for horse shows and it all fits in the tack room. I also love that the saddle racks are height-adjustable so a trunk or muck tub can fit below (some trailers I've hauled in have the saddle racks set too low).

Keep in mind that my trailer is older, but I have had to replace the wood in the ramp (it's lightweight because it's not pressure treated, which means it's not as durable- we noticed my ramp had a springy spot and when we pulled up the mat, part of the wood was rotting) as well as one of the windows on the back storm door (it shattered for no apparent reason when I was closing it last summer). Other non-mandatory improvements include replacing the dry-rotting padding, repainting the roof, installing LED lights on the outside, and installing a organizing system for the tack room from http://organizedbarn.com/.

I love my 2005 hawk too! I would make sure all of the lights work and that that there is a floor warranty on yours. This would protect you from whatever the buyer might have done to the floor in the past. The warranty would be transferrable.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

3K is an awesome deal for what you described... so I would be very interested... and very cautious. Accidents? Frame damage? Axle issues? Floor? Because that price sounds just a bit too good to be true. Even mid 90's trail et (precurser to Hawk, made by the same guy) sell for more than that!

ETA - ignore me - my brain is stewpid w/o more caffeine... derrrr, 3K (less than new) is considerably different than 3k!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfhalting View Post
    So I browse used trailers... (because what horse girl doesn't?). But I just found an almost new Hawk trailer, 2H, BP, dressing room, FULL of bells and whistles, for about 3K less than new.
    I think it's more than 3k.. Ah yay, you caught it!!

Hawk's are great. Buy it. I have a 2 h bp, am in the process of upgrading to GN and love being able to go anywhere on a whim.

And you'll be surprised at the peace of mind you get with the thought that you can take your horse to a vet if bad things happen.

~Emily
    Last edited by Xctrygirl; Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: DMK saw her mistake!!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Do it! I just did the almost exact same thing and am thrilled with my "new" Hawk! It is a 2010, used about 5 or 6 times - and I got it for $10,500.00. Two horse step up slant with rear tack and front dressing room - all the bells and whistles.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Well, I haven't even seen the trailer, but the owner called in yesterday to a VERY reputable dealer while I was on the other phone line with them!!!! Based off the phone information, they originally priced it at 9K. BUT, they called me back when it arrived on their lot and said it would be priced at $9500 because it has extras they didn't originally know about (drop down windows, bench, etc). Is $9500 a good deal for a 2009 model, or is it just average? It's hard for me to compare because I don't see very many.

I would say it is a good deal. If I was still looking for a trailer I would buy it at that price.

I paid $7500 for my 1999 model in 2008. I don't know what would be considered "bells and whistles," but it does have drop down horse windows (that only open with a screwdriver lol- the handles are broken or something), the carpeted divider wall, sliding window between the horse/tack sections, windows in the upper storm doors (rear of trailer), and the full running board (it kills me that my trainer's Equi-Spirit doesn't have the running board step into the tack room). There's no bench in the tack room. I don't know if that helps you make your decision, but under $10k for a trailer that doesn't look like it's been to hell and back is usually a good deal.

If you are anywhere near SC, you can get a brand new, full loaded Sterling for around that amount: http://happytrailstrailers.com/product.php?pid=110

I bought mine from Risa (after contacting her about Hawks) and I get compliments on it everywhere I go. the model shown is their standard - you can get custom colors for the graphics on it (mine are blue and silver). I have the LE model, tricked out (with fans, bulkhead carpeting, grey interior, extra LED lights, etc) for that price - I added an awning for a little more. Risa has been selling Hawks for years and she took everything she liked and started building her own, which is why she can get the price down to where it is. Good luck!

Btw, I do like Hawks. If I didn't have my Sterling, then I would have bought a Hawk (but it would have cost me around $14k for all the extras I ended up adding).
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I have a 2001 Hawk with a dressing room/ramp (not a step-up) and I like it very much...I bought it used for $6600 in 2009 and it has extras such as diamond plate on the front and the upgrade on the rear doors (windows and latches) as well as windows between the dressing room and the stalls, which I love. I can see what my rascally horses are up to!

I use the weight distribution bars and tow with a 2011 Tundra.

I do wish it was the wider width as my horses are large, but they still ship very well in it.

I hope to save my pennies and trade it in next year for a newer, wider version.

So my suggestion to the OP is, buy it! You won't be sorry...

I hope you realize that this is kind of like asking this crowd about buying a cute pony. Of course we are going to be enablers.

I bought my 2010 hawk from Risa. It has bells and whistles and I paid around 14k for it. So, yes, it sounds like a good deal. I love my Hawk! I have only used it for local places, no long distance as of yet. I say go for it!

I have heard great things about Hawk's bumper pulls but not such nice things about their goose necks. My trainer had a 2h bumper pull that she and I both loved. Just make sure you do your research and if all reports come back good, I would GO FOR IT! (My personal opinion)..