The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default wintec changeable gullet doesn't fit

Saddle fit problems.

I posted about sending my horse to training. I also need to buy a horse trailer this year and figure out a saddle option.

I bought a wintec 500 dressage with the changeable gullets off tack of the day a while back. I bought all the gullets to go with it and it comes with the little measuring tool to figure out the gullet to use.

When I measure my horse it says he needs the x-wide gullet, but that sits on his withers. I didn't think he had very high withers, but apparently he does. I tried the wide and it sits okay at the walk, but when you trot it will hit the withers when you post up. When it hit his withers a few too many times without me realizing, he bucked me off. So since he is very bold about advocating a pain free riding experience for himself, I am worried if I go down another gullet size that he will be pinched even if it doesn't hit his withers and want to buck me off again. Potentially this saddle just isn't designed to work with a horse with any substantial withers? Eventually I will just suck it up and try the smaller gullet size, and hopefully I can tell if it's pinching him before he bucks.

Anyone gone through this where the changeable gullet saddle hasn't worked out? And any saddle suggestions for a wide horse (he's a thoroshire) that needs extra room for his withers?

I had to try 3 seperate gullets in my new wintec pro dressage, try it with no pad to find the right fit. The tool said wide/ xwide, they both sat on her withers, she fits a med wide perfect. Flocking could be a fit issue also, not all wintec saddles are the right fit. Good luck.
    Last edited by cheektwocheek; Feb. 23, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
    "I don't know what your generation's fascination is with documenting your every thought... but I can assure you, they're not all diamonds." Mr. G

I found it was easy to not-use-right that measuring tool- it's easier, and more accurate, to just put the gullets right on the horse's back where you'd expect them to sit inside the saddle. Then pick the one that gives the best fit.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I found it was easy to not-use-right that measuring tool- it's easier, and more accurate, to just put the gullets right on the horse's back where you'd expect them to sit inside the saddle. Then pick the one that gives the best fit.
    This is what my saddle fitter told me to do when he adjusted the flocking on my adjustable gullet Collegiate. This saddle fitter deals the adjustable gullet saddles and he said he found using the gullet themselves is more accurate than the measuring tool.

I would agree, the measuring tool is not very helpful. I ended up going 2 sizes narrower than I the tool told me.

ditto skipping the measuring tool. Basically just take the gullet and sit it right on the horses back where it would be if it were in the saddle. put it all the way down, touching hte wither. it it won't go all the way down it is too tight, try a size up. If it does go all the way down, then try to rock it side to side, if it rocks, and gaps at the bottom of the bar, then it is too wide, try one size narrower.

There is a video on the thorowgood website showing them doing exactly this with their brand of adjustable gullet. it is worth a watch.

Thank you so much this will hopefully help. I was wondering if I would have to ride bareback forever. The last thing I've been wanting to do is put the saddle on again while just guessing about the gullet size.

Yes, that measuring tool does not work. And yes, I've had a problem -- the changey gullets from Wintec and Collegiate are problematic with high withers. I've sold my Wintec but got the Collegiate to work with a half pad. The Thoroughgoods are much better, DO work for high wither horses in both their synthetic and leather versions.

Definitely try the narrower gullet before despairing that your horse's withers are too high. I ride Thoroughbreds exclusively, and it has been years since I had one whose withers were too high for my Wintec or Bates saddles. It's possible that's the case with your horse, of course, but it is certainly worth more experimentation before giving up on the saddle.

I can never get that measuring thing to work . I just measure with the gullets themselves.

I do have a horse that a Wintec/Collegiate/Bates will not fit. He needs a curvier tree than they offer, and he has big shoulders and a very long wither. I think I tried at least 3 of the gullets before I gave up. However, nearly all of the lesson horses at my barn go in Wintecs or Collegiates and it's pretty hard to find a horse that they won't work for.

I ended up with a Stubben. One of the non-Wintec lesson horses came with a Hopfner dressage saddle that fits her quite well (big shoulder, high wither-ed older TB mare).

Be careful once you start putting narrower gullets in -- the tree points are VERY short on those saddle and can create pressure points on the ends. This is constant wrestling for me on my horses and I have to use a half pad with serious foam (Ecogold) to protect from this until I can figure out a way to replace the saddle.