The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do I stop kitten from peeing all over the house?

Title says it -- 6 month old kitten - litter box trained when she got here - still uses it for fecal but she prefers to pee all over the house - specifically on the couch, MY BED, the bathroom rug - I take up whatever she pees on run it through washer, spray with some stuff that is supposed to break down the smell but she just continues - I thought it might be reaction to the other cats (who hate her) but I think she has learned she can do it with no adverse reaction - so what do I do???? I've tried putting plastic sheets down and that deters her from that location but she'll just find another place to go -- do any of those sprays they sell at Petsmart to prevent this sort of thing work? Or what else can I do???

Take her to the vet. Inappropriate peeing is most often a sign of urinary infection or kidney issues. If she gets cleared medically, anti-anxiety meds can be very useful.

I had one cat that started that a little older than that. I had to set up one pee box next too the poop box. The other three cats would pee in one and poop in the other.
    If I didn't have two together like that he would find other places such as the laundry basket, bathroom throw rug, etc...

I have never tried the sprays etc....
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

vet visit, try different litters, definitely need one litter box per cat at least.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I too would take her to the vet to rule out a uti but if everything checks out you need to crate her. A few weeks should get her straightened out again.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

Get her to the vet. A cat that starts out urinating normally and appropriately, that changes drastically, has a problem.

Says she who's paid more for feline antibiotics than for human ones, for that very reason.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Vet & then management until you've removed all traces of past indiscretions: this usually takes a few months even when using serious cat urine Tx products (eg, Urine Off) - it's very difficult to remove all the residue from mattresses or flooring (carpet underlay, cracks in the sub floor etc).

Cat marking is often behavioral which makes it complicated to treat/solve - products such as Feliway can help but, ultimately, there are some cats that just cannot tolerate living with other cats.
    I have lived with 2 cats that marked, neither had physical issues - 1 was a neurotic marker & nothing really helped; present cat is territorial & just having 1 cat (& no more fosters) has been the solution.