The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stray Aussie mix in Baltimore City needs foster/adopter

Young, unneutered Aussie mix of some sort -- he was rescued as a stray by a well-meaning, but wholly unprepared couple in my neighborhood when they were living in PA. He was used to being able to run, and now they live in the city and they can't keep him in the yard -- he will jump the privacy fence. They tried tying him in the yard with a clothesline of some sort and he still got loose. When he was allowed in the house, it was only in the basement (I'm not sure why... something about the fact that they have chihuahuas that they "paid a lot of money for"... ) So this guy had no life to speak of and was constantly getting out and nearly getting hit by cars... so I took him in and am trying to find him a REAL home.

He is *gorgeous* and friendly/loving, but very timid and skittish. He is almost impossible to catch if he gets loose! But he likes people and seems to like just about all other dogs. He is a "project dog" who needs a person to teach him how to be good. He is not housebroken, but is OK with being in a crate.

This guy would be a great farm dog. He does best when he has other dogs to play with, so he can follow their lead. He is undersocialized and really seems to know NOTHING, but he wants to be good and wants to learn. He just needs someone to show him how.

I don't know how he is with cats or kids. He shows no aggression toward humans at all (even when he's terrified), but does show a bit of food aggression toward other dogs.

I have a rescued stray pit bull who is not great with other dogs, so I can't keep this guy long-term. I am happy to get all his vet needs taken care of, though, if someone else is willing to foster him, or adopt him permanently. I've put in a call to an Aussie rescue and am spreading word among my other rescue contacts as well.

He really is a sweetheart and just needs a human to show him what he's supposed to do... anyone have room on their farm for a blonde wonderdog?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	35025  

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Update! A friend (who also has an Aussie mix) has agreed to foster him, and we're going to start the process of getting him vetted and neutered.

He actually is doing REALLY well... he has relaxed a ton and seems to be really happy. (Which seems odd, considering I've had to keep him in a crate constantly because of my other dog, but I guess being in a crate in my kitchen is better than being locked in a basement or backyard. He honestly seems thrilled with his new living arrangement!)

He is a really great dog who just needs some direction. I'm already seeing improvements in his behavior... no one has bothered to correct him before, so he just doesn't know what is right and wrong. But once you show him, he seems to get it and he wants to do what YOU want him to do.

Seriously, he's awesome, and will make a great project for someone who can give him boundaries and direction.

Original Poster

So a local rescue has taken the doggie into their adoption program. His name is now Mambo, he's neutered and vaccinated and I believe tested HW negative. He's no longer a giveaway; since he's in an adoption program, there's now an adoption fee. But if someone is looking for a nice project Aussie, he really is a great dog! Definitely needs some work (my friend who is fostering him took him for his first walk the other day and said he had a bit of a panic attack... I don't think he'd ever been walked before!) but he is a sweetheart and is SO excited to be part of a family and getting some attention. He's going to make someone a great buddy.

Here's his adoption listing:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/p...g-Baltimore-MD

Original Poster

Giving this a bump... Mambo is still looking for a home, and my awesome friend who is fostering him is about to start a very intense portion of her nursing school program and really isn't going to have enough time for him. I will be happy to cover his adoption fee if someone wants him, in order to make him a true "giveaway"!

He is a very playful dog -- they did actually line up an adopter for him, but the adopter's dog didn't appreciate Mambo's energetic play style. He will readily back down from his older female foster "sister" when she tells him to knock it off, so I think he would be good with an alpha female type.

He is housebroken now, still needs some work on leash/house manners, but is 100 times better than he was. He can be a bit of an escape artist and is difficult to catch so either needs to live on a farm where that's not an issue, or in a home that can manage that aspect. (i.e. not a home with young kids who will open doors unbeknownst to their parents!)

He has an album of photos on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8962738&type=3

and you can find his Petfinder link there too.

The pictures do not do him justice, he is GORGEOUS!