The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Default What is this stuff -- the latest drug? "Carolina Gold"

Haven't heard of this one before -- what is it and how prevalent?

http://sidelinesnews.com/blogs/injec...ive/uh-oh.html
    Last edited by fordtraktor; Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM.

Default Juan Gamboa DVM "Carolina Gold"

http://s292174474.e-shop.info/shop/a...aid%3D21271%26

Looks like it is on sale at Dr. Juan Gamboa's vet site....$62
    I think this is the show vet for Bob Bell's Classic Company's shows in the SE. I believe he is from Aiken, SC

"This is an injectable supplement of a combination of aminoacids. None of the injectables products I use contains magnesium or any medication that iwill cause any harm to the horses. The safety and well being of the horses is a priority in my practice. It make your horse concentrate in his/her job. Rumors about testing are around. The ingredients of Carolina Gold are easily found on the website. Use it at your own risk. Our clients (owner and patient information on file) don't need a prescription. Others, a prescription is required. Please fax the prescription to 803-753-9737, be sure to include the order number from our website and your full name and contact information as listed on the order."

Buyer Beware

Default EASY GOLD - Also Contains GABA Banned by USEF

Another product sold by Juan Gamboa, DVM that has GABA as an ingredient. Any more out there?

Here's what I know:

It's being given minutes before going in the ring, produces a noticeable calming effect, and is a hot item right now. The active ingredient is gama aminobutyric acid (GABA). GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and as such it induces similar effects to a sedative, i.e. decreased reaction time, lethargy, etc... One BNT said to me when I asked about Carolina Gold's effects, "I dunno, but in the schooling ring, their heads are up, tails might be "active", you give the Gold and their heads are down, tails are still and you win."
    From my point of view, you could see the ban coming from a mile away (hell, 10 miles!):

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=14964

The anticonvulsant drug, Neurontin (gabapentin) is a GABA analogue. It's used to treat many different conditions, neurogenic pain being one. That's why I was prescribed gabapentin and I found it sedating as all get out. There's been little research on the safety of repeated injections of GABA and it most definitely affects behavior/performance, so good riddance from the show grounds! Although, I don't believe a test for GABA exists just yet....
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

I'm not sure why I'm always surprised by the "cocktails" that come to light...but I am! ......sigh........
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

His site reads like an ad for some underground chem lab. Scary what people do to their horses in the name of winning.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Thanks. Ugh, liquid longe line indeed.

Hasn't Gamboas name come up before regarding something???? Those polo ponies a couple of years ago maybe????

"Use at your own risk" indeed...

IIRC they can DQ if anything found in the sample has an effect on performance, it does not have to be specifically named on the forbidden substances list????
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I was thinking the same thing findeight. Wasn't it he/his company that mis-compounded the injection that killed all of those polo ponies?
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Don't know about the polo ponies but Dr. Juan shows in the hunter/jumpers in the SE and is the show vet and a sponsor of The Classic Company horse shows owned by Bob Bell.

I just got this email from USEF yesterday, but hadn't heard of it. How timely

February 22, 2012

Important Information Regarding the Use of the Prohibited Substance GABA – Ingredient in Commercial Product “Carolina Gold”

From the USEF Communications Department

Lexington, KY - Tasked with protecting the welfare of equine athletes and ensuring the balance of competition, the USEF Equine Drugs and Medications Program consistently monitors new products and product claims. From time-to-time products appear on the equine supplement market making claims of their effects on the performance of horses in competition.

Recently, reports of the use of a product called "Carolina Gold" have been brought to the USEF Equine Drugs and Medications Program. One of the principal constituents of this product is gama aminobutyric acid (GABA), an inhibitory neurotransmitter.

While initially not considered a forbidden substance, the use of GABA as a "calming supplement" does violate the spirit and intent of the Equine Drugs and Medications Rule. During recent research and administration trials involving "Carolina Gold," many adverse reactions were documented. The nature of these reactions has prompted immediate action from the USEF Equine Drugs and Medications Program.

Effective immediately, "Carolina Gold" or any other product containing GABA is considered a forbidden substance under USEF rules. Further, because there are no recognized medical uses for this substance, the use of a Medication Report Form to report its administration is not applicable.

The detection of GABA is being actively pursued by the USEF Equine Drugs and Medications Program and will be implemented without delay or notice. No further announcements will be forthcoming regarding the use of “Carolina Gold” or GABA. All positive findings will be forwarded to the USEF Hearing Committee. Trainers and veterinarians involved in the sale or use of this substance may be subject to fines and/or suspensions.
    Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground. - Author Unknown

Default What will the USEF do?

“The detection of GABA is being actively pursued by the USEF Equine Drugs and Medications Program and will be implemented without delay or notice. No further announcements will be forthcoming regarding the use of ‘Carolina Gold’ or GABA. All positive findings will be forwarded to the USEF Hearing Committee. Trainers and veterinarians involved in the sale or use of this substance may be subject to fines and/or suspensions.”

This GABA is still for sale on the vets website although there is a posting that it has been banned by the USEF. Do you think he gets a slap on the wrist for cooking this stuff up in his lab? How about the trainers? I guess they get a free past on anything in the past.
    I think Juan should buy some new underwear!

The Polo Pony thing was 23 dead in April of 2009 from a compound developed by an "unlicensed Argentinian vet" and prepared by a Florida company, Francks, that did get fined.

There is a 20 page thread from April of 2009 regarding this. Gamboas name does not come up in a COTH search but it may be in one of the many newpaper articles linked to in that thread.

I have to move to a computer that is blocked so don't have the time.

I know I have heard that name before and it's not positive.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Juan Gamboa had NOTHING to do with the polo pony incident. I'm sure he has enough of a dilemma right now and certainly doesn't need you all starting that one. For the record, I do not know the man.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

How prevalent do you think Carolina's Gold use is? Do you think its used by all the really big BNT's (i.e North Run, Heritage) or is more of something done by the lesser named trainers?

Maybe I'm naive but I do like to think some of the big names play fair (or at least reasonably fair...)

Default Pharmacy Made an Error

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    I was thinking the same thing findeight. Wasn't it he/his company that mis-compounded the injection that killed all of those polo ponies?
    It was an error on the part of a pharmacy in compounding the stuff for the polo ponies... I never did see who the vet was that ordered the stuff.
    from Scientific American Magazine 4/30/ 2009

"The source of the toxic overdose appears to be supplement injections the horses received a few hours before they began falling to the ground. Franck's Pharmacy in Ocala, which filled the prescription for the supplement—a cocktail of selenium, vitamin B-12, potassium, and magnesium -- has owned up to the mistake: "The strength of an ingredient in a medication Franck’s Pharmacy prepared for the 21 horses on the Lechuza Polo team was incorrect," Jennifer Beckett, the pharmacy's chief operations officer, said in a statement. "We can confirm that the ingredient was selenium."

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway View Post
    How prevalent do you think Carolina's Gold use is? Do you think its used by all the really big BNT's (i.e North Run, Heritage) or is more of something done by the lesser named trainers?

Maybe I'm naive but I do like to think some of the big names play fair (or at least reasonably fair...)

Gamboa (I refuse to call him a vet and think his license should be revoked) would not make it if there were not a market for this junk. Makes me sick to even know he lives in my town.

I hope that this is a sign the USEF is going to finally get serious on the drugging issue.

He gave an extensive interview to the Chronicle re magnesium sulfate. The article does not place him in a bad light:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ngerous?page=3

But here is a thread that does, and talks about his "Easy Hunter": http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...=311728&page=2

I believe Dr. Gamboa was quoted in a COTH article regarding magnesium injections a few months ago and his name was then brought up in this forum regarding his quote, website, and practices in regards to magnesium supplementation and injection. The polo ponies were a different thing entirely.

And I think for the polo ponies, at the time it occurred it was unknown whether the prescription was written incorrectly and filled as it was written or if the compounding pharmacy made a mistake.