The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I finally have a new barn!

A real one! This is the first real barn structure I've had for my horses, that is designed like *I* wanted! In the past I've had to make due, or I was young and my parents built what worked (not complaining, but keeping tack in the basement because the barn was too small sucked! )

So, now I have a 24x36' barn, with a 4' knee wall in the loft to provide ample hay storage. We are planning to fill half with 1st cut for me, and the other half with 2nd cut to sell. We put 800 bales up there this fall once it was finished, and the upstairs still looked empty! We are figuring we have room for 2000 square bales, at least.

Still some tweaking to finish the electrical, but its usable and dry! Very exciting! Pics are from start to finished (well, almost finished!)

http://photobucket.com/HorseBarn
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Looks great! Congrats and enjoy!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Is that not THE BEST feeling in the world?

Your pics made me remember standing underneath the framework for my barn and imagining how great it was gonna be.
    8years later, still better than I imagined
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

It is a wonderful feeling! (Not so wonderful when I make the loan payment, but hey, nothing in this world is free!) Not only that, but it was much cheaper than "hiring" someone...my boyfriend did all of it "for free"

It's so nice to be able to bring the horses in and put them in a nice stall if needed. Nothing is worse than when you need to contain a horse, stall rest, the weather is really bad, etc. I like 24/7 turnout, but the option is there when I need it!

Very Nice. I remember getting our barn built when I was a teenager. Until then, we had the horses in the garage, and the tack in the horse trailer.

While the barn was still under construction, my mother put three horses in one box stall, and they jimmied the dutch door and escaped. I asked her "MOM, why did you put three horses in one stall?" She said ... "I forgot we had more"

Mom is special that way
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Smile

It looks wonderful…great idea to document its construction from the ground up with photos! Enjoy. Love the name plates.
    friend of bar*ka

Awesome!!!

I was in the same position for a while too - no barn, we moved in, house still needed lots of work, horse stuff was in a portion of the unfinished basement, tack in the trailer, so I was traipsing feed out to the field twice a day. Then we got most of the for-the-house stuff out of the shed, so at least my feed stuff moved to the shed.

I remember even just having the barn finished to the point it had all its walls and a roof - I put up 2x6 bars across part of the aisle to give them free choice access to the 2 end stalls and the aisle between them - that was pretty awesome LOL

You're right, it's so nice to have the stall(s) when you need them - doctoring horses without shelter is a PITA!

Congratulations, and enjoy!

My friend made the name plates for me for my birthday, which was shortly after the stalls were "finished."

I opened the box and said "An airplane???" and she says "no, a Jet! For Jet's stall! Get it?!" She said she forgot that jets don't have propellors on the front, so technically its an airplane, but Jet won't know the difference. LOL! She also made a lady bug for my horse Lady's stall.

Congrats! I REALLY like the way you set everything up. It's functional, AND looks warm and cozy. I wouldn't mind spending a night in that barn....it looks very inviting

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl598 View Post
    Congrats! I REALLY like the way you set everything up. It's functional, AND looks warm and cozy. I wouldn't mind spending a night in that barn....it looks very inviting
    I probably didnt' need a 12' wide aisle, but a 22x36 would've just looked too narrow and tall for me

Plus, if we have to drive a vehicle from one end to the other, we can, because the ceilings are 9' and the aisle is 12' wide. We only have 1 door opening right now, an 8' wide door (well 2 four foot doors) but spring time we're installing the door on the other end of the aisle.

As for spending the night in there...while I wouldn't mind, I'd rather not have a reason to! The last time I spent the night in a barn, it was not this inviting, and it was to make sure I could keep an eye on my colicky mare and walk her every 30 minutes! LOL!

That looks great! Congrats! How very exciting for you.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I probably didnt' need a 12' wide aisle, but a 22x36 would've just looked too narrow and tall for me
    The time will quickly come where you will be glad you have a 12' aisle, and maybe even make you wish you'd gone 14' LOL

I can't recall anyone saying "dang, I just made that aisle too big"

Plus, if we have to drive a vehicle from one end to the other, we can, because the ceilings are 9' and the aisle is 12' wide. We only have 1 door opening right now, an 8' wide door (well 2 four foot doors) but spring time we're installing the door on the other end of the aisle.
    Exactly I know if I HAD to, I could park my truck with a load of hay on it right inside the barn. And that's exactly what I told the guys doing the aisle concreted so they knew it had to be drivable by a truck, not just a horse or two

Cool VERY COOL INDEED ~~~~ ENJOY !

Very cool new barn ```

ENJOY !!!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"