The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trying to decide on farmette layout...

We are very interested in a 3.5 acre property. The area for horses is a perfect 500 x 200 foot rectangle. The requirements we want for 2-3 horses are making the design hard.
    1) an 100x 200 outdoor arena
    2) a 36x 48 barn with ------(?) ft run outs off stalls
    3) easy feeding layout for non horsey family that might help out
    4) perimeter path to ride
    5) small sacrifice paddock

Please help us and thank you in advance!

assuming all is level enough can you go with a u-shape courtyard?
    it's my favorite layout, and i've been drawing them for years.

in my fave scenario the garage at the top of the u-shape connects the house and barn--i'd use long wide breezeways between each building so you'd never have to get out in weather to do chores.

with 200ft of width you've plenty of room to spread out nicely too, which is handy when it comes to the barnyard. if the house and barn are a hundred plus feet apart you've got room for a 24ft run off of each stall and a nice 24ft patio on the house facing the stalls which leaves over 50ft of barnyard space.

plus the home is just one room deep, so i can see into the stalls and barnyard from every room in the house.

the barn has all the stalls facing the house, and all the stalls on the other side of the aisle are all for hay and shavings storage. the perimeter drive can wrap all the way around the barn so big trucks can unload and pull straight out instead of backing.

the barnyard has a gate (opposite the garage) in the center leading to a long lane straight to the end of the five hundred feet with paddocks on each side off of the center lane, which incidentally leads to the arena at the end of the center lane. perimeter drive all around is fenced so it can be grazed and used as extra horse space as well as a secured drive to your place and a safe galloping lane.
    easy peasy!!
    wish i could draw it for you---i'm so bad at describing it!

suz- I'm intrigued by this idea. Are there any websites with this? I tend to be quite visual...

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I have 5ac but at least 1ac is just meadow (in retrospect, I wish I'd perimeter-fenced the whole thing).

Check zoning requirements for the setback you will need from roads and for how close to the barn you can place the house.

Is there a house on the property already?
    If not, my dream blueprint connects a small (500sf) house directly to a 3-stall barn that in turn connects to the indoor.
    Right now I have a 36X36 barn attached to 60X120 indoor.
    House sits about 250' from this on an uphill slope.

The barn is centered in my sacrifice paddock - an area maybe 100X100 - and that connects to the pastures at each end. Gates can close off one or both fields.
    Horses are out 24/7/365 and can go into stalls if they want at any time.
    Non-horsepeople feed from inside the barn, as horses know when the human appears to go in for feeding.
    In 8 years & 2 sets of geldings I have never had a problem with this setup, YMMV with more/different horses.

I have the area surrounding the barn for riding. I left a 25' wide path from the fenceline all around. A neighbor mows it all for hay so it is never too overgrown.
    Also have my "outdoor" - the lawns North of the house, West of the barn.

If I could rotate my house 180, I could view the horses as suz's plan suggests.
    Right now I can only see them from the back porch or my bedroom window.
    aaaarrrggghhhh
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I have just a little over 3 acres, and mine is setup to give the barn as small a footprint as possible to maximize pasture, so we built 'up'.

Our barn is 36x34, which gives me 3 12x12 stalls, a 10' wide center aisle, a 10' ceiling in the aisle. Opposite the stalls I have a 12x11 Feed/Tack room, 24x12 storage area and a full loft over the aisle and tack/storage area for hay storage. There is a 6' overhang in front of the stalls, and a 10' area in front of that.

On the south side of the barn is a rectangular sacrifice paddock that we also use for light riding. Lights on the barn make it usable at night.

All 3 stalls open to the outside with dutch doors.

If I could do things differently, I would have moved the barn another 20-30 feet to the north to give us a real riding ring. (a surveyer error resulted in the current location

Otherwise, its an easy layout to work with, compact and efficient. Gates on either side of the barn allow me to lock the horses in the sacrifice area with barn access, or the smaller pasture on the north/west side with the same access. I can even restrict them to just the front of the barn, which is a 36x16' area that works great to contain them if I want to let them move around more but don't want them turned out. I have one larger pasture that sits on the n/e corner of the property that I can close off for rotation.

We just completed a 10x36 equpment storage addition on the backside of the barn.

You can see our layout here: http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/w...rrent=farm.jpg

I'd definitely recommend locating your riding ring on one or other side of the barn for both convenient access and to allow you to light it more easily. We have spotlights located at the peak of the barn and at the roof line on the back, and it makes it plenty light for night riding.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

So do most people have run outs from the barn which open to a sacrifice paddock even though this takes up more room on a small property? I've always thought that is the nicest set up.

runs off of stalls are so good to have, even if just one to isolate a horse for whatever reason.
    wish i could draw my plans for you somehow, but i have no idea how on the computer.
    i could snail mail it to you if you like!
    or try this---
    get a shoebox---if the shoebox represents your 200x500 lot it should start to come together.
    draw a perimeter lane around the entire thing.
    then at one end position the house on one long side and the barn facing it, garage in the center at the top.
    place the outside arena at the bottom, and a center land leading to it.

hope that helps!

Suz, we have been doing sketch after sketch and it keeps coming back to your basic U shape. It really does seem to do the trick and still has the perimeter to ride to get rid of arena boredom. Thanks!