The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Digging Dachshund

Any suggestions to curb the digging of a dachshund? It was not bad until some trees were removed and apparently the soft dirt is just too inviting.

I would love to know how to stop it as well! Since we have not had a hard freeze, all three of my doxies have been digging small holes in the soft ground whenever my back is turned. The oldest taught the others, and now my garden looks like a war zone. Only one is interested in actually eating dirt, the other two are just destructive. They are really good puppies, but this is making me crazy!

Channel it.

Dachsies are bred to go underground after badgers...digging is part of the job description.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Channel it.

Dachsies are bred to go underground after badgers...digging is part of the job description.
    ^^This asking a dachie to not dig is like asking a bloodhound not to use his nose.

Seriously. I have tunnels.
    Let them have an area where digging isn't a big deal. I have given up hope and instead amuse myself with admiring the amazing passageways and caverns in the dog run, which has a strand of electric at the bottom since (duh) they tunnel out. (dog run is about 4000 square feet, in case you think I am torturing them).
    On the plus side, if you are patient you never have to have someone out to remove a stump. Just pen the dogs around the stump.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    On the plus side, if you are patient you never have to have someone out to remove a stump. Just pen the dogs around the stump.
    Awesome.

Bopper,

Perhaps you have a major league earthdog in the making!

Actually my response was "thats what doxies do" but I also decided to check here to make sure no one had any ideas for solutions.

Thanks!

Short of putting chainlink fence flat on the entire yard, the answer is nope. And you can't get them to dig where you want so you can use the holes for planting things-a friend tried that once, and it didn't work at all.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I bought my diggin dachsie Groovy a sandbox.... Shes since passed, but she LOVED digging I the sand and never dug up the yard.

Lisa

Hmmm, mine seem to spend their time digging indside.
    They think I am throwing them into the arctic wilderness if I insist they go outside for a little while.... with their coats on... and a 6' tall solid fence blocking the western winds...

Quote Originally Posted by Bopper View Post
    Any suggestions to curb the digging of a dachshund? It was not bad until some trees were removed and apparently the soft dirt is just too inviting.
    are your dogs going outside by themselves? Without supervision? If so, that would be the first thing I'd change. I'd go out with them and prevent the digging.

If that is not an option, as one other poster stated, a sand box or legal digging place can be a help.

I have a hard time with the "they're Dachie's, it's what they do" idea. Even if traits are hard wired, they still can be modified and every dog should be trained to have some self control.

Ditto the legal place to dig. My Daschy is not a digger, but I also have a JRT that was bred for work, so I knew he would probably be a digger. What I did was take some landscape timbers and make a small rectangle. Then, I filled it with dirt and took my dog out, set him in it, and said "dig". He went to town and was praised and had a blast. I have also let him dig up my flower beds and a plum tree. He has never dug anywhere that I didn't point to and tell him to digk, so I feel this method worked well for us.

My GSDx is older and a horrible digger. She didn't start until I moved her into the farm, and since her kennel area is out at the barn, I'm not there for immediate correction. She is very well-behaved otherwise and I know that I could stop her if I were able to be consistent in her corrections. I had tried lots of other things to stop her, but finally just bought a battery powered fence charger and ran a hot wire. It's the lazy and easy way out, I am aware, but sometimes you just have do what will work for your situation.

Here are some photos of my JRT helping to dig up part of a flowerbed.
    http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...7-28-09006.jpg

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...7-28-09004.jpg

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...7-28-09003.jpg

With the Daschy watching.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...7-28-09002.jpg

My mom holding him after he was done.
    http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...7-28-09007.jpg
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I'm with those who say Dachshunds dig, just like my terriers. What they were bred for generations to do. I usually ignore the holes where it is mulch or I don't care. Where I do care when they are digging, like when they were digging up a recently placed phone line and pulling it up and tugging on it like it was a possum tail (it was kind of entertaining, but I had to stop it), I replaced the dirt then put an ex-pen flat over it so they couldn't dig until the grass took hold. Left it for a few months and they basically forgot about the buried snake. Sprinkling a little cayenne pepper on holes will also stop them from digging in that one spot. But you have to resprinkle when it rains.

Dachshunds dig..... But having said that and having 10 of them, right now, I put expens on the areas where they are digging (down flat, not standing)... they move to another area, and the whole process continues. BUT I am looking to designate a "legal digging area". I am also thinking of using chicken wire and letting the grass grow over it (although husband says it will screw up his lawn mower)..... I wish I had a good idea for you, designating an area makes the most sense to me.... (except when the darned moles are too temtping to resist)...
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!