The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Balanced Ride Trailers?

We're finally about to take the plunge into trailer ownership. I've had my eye on the Balanced Ride trailers for years.

I know there are a few cother's that have them. I would love to know who has one, if you're still happy with it and what led to your decision to get a Balanced Ride.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

You can't find much online about them- I finally called Risa and talked to her and got in touch with someone else that had one. Seem good to me- I am in the process of ordering one.

I like the idea of the horse facing backwards. I think Risa's trailer is the only one designed to allow rear facing horses, is that correct??
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

It's the only one I could find. There is at least one in England that I have been looking at.

I know someone in MS who has a 2+1 BR GN if you are interested.

I just ordered an 2H hawk from risa and am SO excited!!!

If you work with Risa you'll be happy with whatever you end up with. She's FABULOUS!! The Balanced Ride is unique because it can be a rear facing straight load. Reverse slants are more common than reverse straights and other brands make those (I looked at a Turnbow that was a reverse slant). In a 4H head to head the front stalls are rear facing so it's not uncommon for a horse to ride like that. Risa has just configured it so a 2H trailer can be reverse.

Thanks everyone. I agree, Risa is great! She answered a rather mundane question for me the other day regarding wiring and I was grateful she was so gracious with her time.

Reay, sending you a pm.

You'll be thrilled with your Balanced Ride. The one I have from Risa is a Hawk (built before she came up with the Balanced Ride) and it's awesome!

Horses like it -- even ones that normally don't like trailers, and we use it often for sick/lame/injured horses because the side-in, rear-out configuration is easier for the animals.

Loan approved! Just have to place the order...

Default revising old thread with same question

I am thinking about getting one of these...any other reviews/comments/experiences? It seems a little tight in the head room for the horses, anybody find that to be true?

Anybody have any opinions?

The few people I spoke with that had them absolutely loved them. We ended up ordering a 2 horse GN straight load Hawk from Risa as I worried that since this was the first trailer I've ever hauled, the Balanced Ride would be too big. I love my trailer, but wish I had gone with the Balanced Ride.

I have one. I actually purchased the first one to come out and I love it.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by harr754 View Post
    I am thinking about getting one of these...any other reviews/comments/experiences? It seems a little tight in the head room for the horses, anybody find that to be true?
    No way is it tight in the head room. I have had a 17.2 hand mare in this trailer. Plenty of head room.

I have a balanced ride from rosa and love the trailer. She was great to work with. I have a bumper pull (vehicle I had when purchased could not pull a GN), 2 horse straight with side load but totally customized it. Went with the larger stall length, horses could be forward or backwards, and made the aisle to the side load 3' bigger so its nearly a 2+1 but can't put a horse up front, only a pony. Also I can set it up to be a large box stall or two medium box stalls. Put in extra windows, fans, extra roof vents, did the full rear doors with ramp behind, dressing room with door to horse area.....LOVE IT.
    Rides great and never had a horse with an issue on it, in any set up. Great for the oldies and the babies.
    You can pm me if you have any questions.
    Kimberly.

Are there any negatives about these trailers? I wish I could actually see one and walk through it, but SC is pretty far from PA.

Thanks for your input everybody.

I haven't had any issues with mine and can't think of anything I'd change. I have the 2+1.

Have it, love it, you can't go wrong with Risa's help

I ordered one of these 9 years ago, and I still love it. I wanted a rear facing trailer for my mare who is a nervous hauler, so I worked back-and-forth with Risa and we came up with a 2 horse straight load, with a side ramp on each side. There are some little things I'd change to make loading easier when you already have one horse loaded, but overall, I'm very happy with it. The only other nit I have with mine is it is not as smooth to tow as other trailers I have used (it is heavy and stiff feeling). I don't know if that is because of the axle placement/weight distribution, or something else.
    I'm glad to see others are happy with theirs, too. I remember her saying that they were going to start making more after I got mine, and I'm glad to see that happened!
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.