The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jingles needed - loss of appetite, increased urination

Want to preface this by saying that I have been in contact with my vet and am currently waiting for blood test results.

For the past 4 or 5 days, my horse has not been interested in her grain - and this is a horse that will normally eat as much as you put in front of her. She will pick at her food for a few minutes, and then lose interest. She has been a little better about hay, but not eating it like normal. She will eat grass, so is eating when she is turned out at night.

I have been taking her temperature - no fever.

She has also been drinking excessively for the past week or so. It is normal for her to drink about half a bucket when in her stall during the day, now I am re-filling it at least once a day. She has been urinating more than normal - at least once an hour, if not more often.

Any jingles would be appreciated, I have been through so much with this mare.

Are they running blood work for Cushings?

Jingles!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I was thinking ulcers until the excessive thirst remark.

Jingling for something minor!
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Yes, she does have a history of ulcers. I would have thought ulcers if not for the increase in thirst and urination. I have BPR, but she won't eat, so it is nearly impossible to get them in her

The vet mentioned specifically that they were going to check her kidneys, and for anemia. She was on antibiotics for a long time (3 months), so he also mentioned that it could have disrupted the bacteria in her stomach

Teeth? Diabetes? (excessive water drinking...I don't even know if horses can get that)

Jingles!

Don't forget that tick-borne illnesses have been rampant due to the warm weather this year. We had a mare diagnosed with ehrlichia just a couple of weeks ago, and I'm in Massachusetts! Everything is supposed to be frozen up like a glacier this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinterz View Post
    Yes, she does have a history of ulcers. I would have thought ulcers if not for the increase in thirst and urination. I have BPR, but she won't eat, so it is nearly impossible to get them in her

I have a friend whose horse started urinating frequently when ulcers came on so it may be a good idea to look into ulcers as a possibility too.

I would also keep taking her temp as you have been, in case of a UTI.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

I wouldn't rule out ulcers. Tummy pain can make horses think they have to pee.

My guess would be kidneys. Has she been given any bute or other NSAID recently? If so, was she possibly dehydrated at the time?

Never seen ulcers cause an increase in drinking (have seen a decrease in water intake with severe ulcers) or heard of Cushings causing sudden anorexia or lack of interest in grain.

Bumping for update.

Hope mare is OK.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Still waiting on blood test results. I sent them in on Wednesday, so I am hoping to hear back tomorrow.

Still no fever. She has not had any NSAID recently - I am pretty careful not to give them unless absolutely necessary, especially given her history of ulcers.

A friend feeds her horse Pennfield Senior - it basically looks and smells like sweet feed. I mixed a handful in with her regular feed (Blue Seal Low Starch), and she showed much more interest in eating than she has in the past couple of days. I don't typically like to feed something with a lot of molasses in it, but I wanted to see if something different would increase her interest in food.

Still drinking and urinating much more than normal, though..

It is possible that one has nothing to do with the other. Its possible that she is having an ulcer flare up (loss of appetite) and is showing symptoms of Cushings (drinking/frequent urination).

My mare who was just treated for ulcers, had loss of appetite and drank less, but when I brought her to the clinic for the rescope they highly suggested testing for Cushings since she is 19, and has loss of muscle along her topline and croup, even though she is eating regularly and drinking regularly, she isn't putting the weight back on after the ulcers were healed. We're testing her for Cushings next week.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Still wondering about your mare -- any diagnosis yet?