The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Way to Pre-Mix Feed?

One of our horses will be going to our trainer for a month. Because he will only be gone a month, we don't want to switch his feed, but the BM says there is not enough room for us to store a trash can of feed for him. This is a very large barn, with over 60 horses and a lot of different workers, so we need to make this as idiot proof as possible.

They feed 3x daily and he gets supps as well, so we're planning on making up his feed in ziplocks for a week at a time, but what is the best way to store those that take up the least amount of real estate? Since space in the feed room is limited, I would think that we may need to buy a 3 drawer system and label one AM, one Lunch, and one PM so the feeders can just pull out the bag and feed?

Or should I just suck it up and let them change over his feed? They're not giving us a price break for providing our own feed.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Depending on what supplements he's getting, a month on the trainer's feed most likely won't hurt him and will be a lot easier on everyone concerned. I think it would be better to let them switch him over rather than risk things getting screwed up. With lots of different workers, it's going to be hard to make sure that everyone knows, understands and/or remembers that he gets something different. Relax. He'll be fine.

ETA: You might think about switching him over yourself before he leaves. That way you don't have to worry that they will do it too quickly. Also, you could do baggies of supps. I can't believe that with 60+ horses there, someone else doesn't do supplements. I have one here who brings me a little plastic container every weekend with the horse's supplements measured out in little baggies, enough for a week with usually a few days extra just in case something happens and she can't get here on time. All i do is open one and dump it into his morning rations. Easy-peasy and takes up practically no space.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

I think I'll check with the trainer tomorrow morning to see what she'd recommend feeding him. If I can get the same feed, it may be easier to start switching him, but we only have one week before he leaves. He only gets 4#/day, but now we have to figure out a way to fit in the 3rd (lunch) grain feeding as well as the reduced hay. Even though we're providing our own hay, they will still not give him more than 2 flakes/feeding, and none at all for lunch. It kind of burns me that they won't throw him extra hay even though we're providing it!

He is a bit chunky, but I'm from the "all the hay they can eat" school, so I'm panicked about him only getting 2 flakes of hay between 7-AM - 7-PM, especially since he's a hoover. DD plans to go daily to throw him extra hay, but that will still only be later in the day, and I'm providing hay pellets for the lunch feeding.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Do you know how big their flakes are? I hate when people tell me he only gets "two flakes". Some of the bales I have seen have a flake that weighs 2 pounds, others 5 pounds, still others even more. Honestly though, I know it's tough, but if she's got 60 horses there, she must be doing something right. I know how hard it is to leave the care of a beloved horse in someone else's hands, but try and tell yourself "it's only a month" and think about the benefits you are getting by having him in training for that month. If I were looking for a permanent boarding situation, I'd be more concerned, but being that it is only a month, I would try not to worry.

A week should be plenty of time to switch his grain.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Damrock Farm View Post
    Do you know how big their flakes are? I hate when people tell me he only gets "two flakes". Some of the bales I have seen have a flake that weighs 2 pounds, others 5 pounds, still others even more. Honestly though, I know it's tough, but if she's got 60 horses there, she must be doing something right. I know how hard it is to leave the care of a beloved horse in someone else's hands, but try and tell yourself "it's only a month" and think about the benefits you are getting by having him in training for that month. If I were looking for a permanent boarding situation, I'd be more concerned, but being that it is only a month, I would try not to worry.

A week should be plenty of time to switch his grain.
    Of course they know how big the flakes are-it's THEIR hay that is going with the horse.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.