The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Restoring smooth/stained suede?

Any suggestions? Is it even possible to restore/fix suede that has been worn smooth?

Also any way to remove stains from suede? How do you clean suede? I've only ever owned synthetic saddles or saddles without suede, I don't know how the heck to deal with suede.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Trying using a wire brush to rough up the suede. It worked well on a rough-out western saddle that I restored a million years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Trying using a wire brush to rough up the suede. It worked well on a rough-out western saddle that I restored a million years ago.
    Like a brass brush? I just want to make sure I use the right stuff, I don't want to make things worse.

What products can I use to clean suede?

Thumbs up jmho !!

Sand paper! I've successfully used various grits of plain old sandpaper on many suede items ex: chaps, suede knee rolls on english saddles. Start with a course grit and finish with a finer grit. Just rub in various directions and the stains/dirt will come off. It will refresh the roughness of the suede so do the smooth areas aggressively and the rest of the areas just give a light once over.

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    Sand paper! I've successfully used various grits of plain old sandpaper on many suede items ex: chaps, suede knee rolls on english saddles. Start with a course grit and finish with a finer grit. Just rub in various directions and the stains/dirt will come off. It will refresh the roughness of the suede so do the smooth areas aggressively and the rest of the areas just give a light once over.
    Wow really? Won't the sandpaper thin the leather or something?

I wish I had before and after photos… I took a saddle with smooth and dirty suede knee rolls and was able to get it looking like new again. I used brass wire brushes (small ones, like a tooth brush) of various stiffness, along with “suede cleaner” I picked up from the local shoe store. It is a clear liquid, a little soapy, and very mild (no chemical smells etc). He told me to wet the suede with the cleaner, and remove dirt with a damp cloth. Then brush the suede (not too hard!) to bring the nap back up. Once the leather dried (overnight) it looked amazing!

http://www.fiebing.com/Dyes_and_Cleaners.aspx

Kelly's suede / nubuck cleaner... that was the stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I wish I had before and after photos… I took a saddle with smooth and dirty suede knee rolls and was able to get it looking like new again. I used brass wire brushes (small ones, like a tooth brush) of various stiffness, along with “suede cleaner” I picked up from the local shoe store. It is a clear liquid, a little soapy, and very mild (no chemical smells etc). He told me to wet the suede with the cleaner, and remove dirt with a damp cloth. Then brush the suede (not too hard!) to bring the nap back up. Once the leather dried (overnight) it looked amazing!

http://www.fiebing.com/Dyes_and_Cleaners.aspx

Kelly's suede / nubuck cleaner... that was the stuff!
    Nice to hear a success story! I'll have to stop into a shoe store and see if they have that, or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    This^
    I've had great luck with sandpaper. It's easier to use than wire brushes, less likely to leave scratch marks. I cleaned up an older saddle that the knee rolls had been worn completely smooth AND I got Neat's foot Oil on the suede . To even out the color, I OILED the suede and then sanded ot.It looked amazing when I was done. I wish I woud have taken pictures of it before I sold it!

What is it stained with?

Oil - Blot with cornstarch and brush off repeat iuntil gone.
    Blood, sweat, tears, anything organic - Use medical grade H2O2.
    Leathe or hair dye - You're SOL dye it black.