The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oh hey let's breed our dogs and sell them!

People like this drive me crazy!

My neighbor just brought home a 6 week old CKC Siberian Husky puppy for $1000. I chose to warn the breeder not to sell him a dog because he's not a good owner. He has a dane with a low body condition score and he taught it everything using a shock collar. The problem is the dog didn't know the command before he used the collar so she was confused about why she was getting shocked. I also let the breeder know that he shot his other dog when it got sick.

They still sold him a dog and they told him that I sent them an email. I found out that it's illegal to sell a dog before it's 8 weeks in this state. Also I assume that you need a license to sell them, right? So the question is do I report the breeder?

The puppy kept me up all night because he left it in the Great Dane sized kennel while it barked and whined and howled! It literally never stopped last night. When I said something to him he said that babies cry all night so there's nothing wrong with a puppy barking all night.....*head, desk*

So all knowledgeable COTHers, what do I do?

Could you turn in the neighbor for noise violation? Babies might cry at night but they aren't outside. Neighbor could also be turned in for the condition of the G. Dane.

As for the breeder, it is illegal to sell puppies before 6 weeks. Don't know who you would call to enforce that. Perhaps the local SPCA or Humane society would be able to help.

Oh the kennel is inside. I live in an apartment so we share a wall. I called the humane society but we are playing phone tag today.

This is another reason I need to hurry up and get through grad school so I can buy a house!

Call your local ASPCA/Animal Control to report breeder. Call police for noise complaint. Keep calling them. Call landlord as well, about noise complaint.

Report this breeder and also the new owner if he has one dog that is already skinny. report report report!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

A great dane and now a Husky in an apartment?! Ah! Definitely put in a report with animal control/the humane society and file a noise complaint.

Also complain to the landlord. Every day.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

the only thing you can "get" anyone on is selling the underage pup- Danes should look quite skinny even when properly fed so you might be wrong about it being under-fed; unfortunately there's no law against being a bad dog trainer; and I really wouldn't be surprised if a puppy that young DID scream and cry all night the first few nights even if the owner was the best owner in the world. I assume the guy has a lease that allows two large dogs to be kept in the apartment.

So what is your goal here?
    You sound just generally vindictive.

No, the breeder doesn't need a license to sell the puppies. Honestly, I'm not supporting the fact that the puppy was placed at 6 weeks but if the ASPCA acts on that I'd be surprised, and actually disappointed, considering the number of truly abused and neglected animals that don't get their attention.

There could be legitimate reasons for puppies to be placed before 8 weeks....and while it's not ideal it's not exactly abuse.

If that's your only complaint about this particular situation it's probably not enough for ASPCA intervention.

Now, making a landlord complaint is perfectly reasonable if the dogs continue to be a problem.

I'm not really vindictive I just don't like it when someone abuses their animals. The guy is super redneck and thinks beating his dogs until they listen is the most effective way to train them. I watched him to try get the dane to come in one day and she wasn't listening. When she eventually came back he started beating her. Last time I checked that's not going to encourage the dog to come back to him. I also saw him hit it for getting dirty once. So now she's only allowed to go outside to use the bathroom so it won't get dirty.

We are also only allowed to have 1 pet, according to the lease. Hopefully the landlord will actually enforce that rule. I've seen him not enforce some minor rules but I don't anticipate him turning his head from this. I know if I was a property owner I would't want 2 large dogs in my place.

****HEAD DESK****

why is it that people with an extra 1000 buck lying around want to buy puppies, and a breed they will never be able to handle as well. I feel bad for this poor HUSKY living in an apt. that will most likely get the shock collar treatment the previous dog did.

My question would be to the breeder, why did they sell him a puppy knowing he lives in an apt? thats no place for a husky.

Ehh, I have large dogs, but I wouldn't mind renting to someone with large dogs. I've always found housetraining large dogs much easier than small ones.
    You may have a noise complaint issue going on here, if it continues. I will say that I got a puppy ready to leave mom and littermates almost a year ago, and when I brought him home he cried at night for quite a while - I was pretty exhausted. I don't know how apartment dwellers handle that aspect of puppies.
    You can report the breeder for selling the puppy too soon. I believe in keep puppies with each other and mom for at least 8 weeks, but I also think that in the grand scheme of everything that goes on it is a small issue.
    As for him being a redneck and a poor dog trainer . . . I think you are probably right, based on him punishing the dog for coming . . . but you can only control so much. You will hear people talking about doing all kinds of crazy things to discipline and train their pets. Very few want (or are willing to receive) advice. If not asked, sometimes you just have to ignore it. People probably face this same stuff when watching other people parent their kids.

I think it just drives me even more crazy since I train dogs for search and rescue on a more professional level. We take our dogs seriously and I have plenty of experience training. My dog comes back to me because he knows that when he comes running he's going to get petted and maybe even given a treat! I believe than an e-collar can be used effectively in some situations but the dog has to know the command before you start using it. If the dog doesn't know what the command is they are just going to wonder why they are getting shocked. I'm a good resource of information living right next door to the guy but I don't think he wants to take advice from a girl.

And I don't think the breeder cared where the puppy went as long as they got their $1,000. There is room to run for the dog as this is also a horse boarding facility but it's not fenced and your dog needs to have good recall and manners since people are trying to ride around here. I had the dane run into the arena while I was working a horse once. That was fun because neither me nor my horse was expecting to have a huge dog barreling after us! From what I understand huskies don't typically have great recall.

I think another reason I'm annoyed is because there are 3 apartments here (over the indoor arena) and I pay board for 2 horses and my rent. I think I have been nothing but a good renter and boarder for the past 3 years. This guy has only been here for a year. I think the landlord should respect my concerns because of that fact alone. Oh and you can also hear the dog barking while you ride. I was helping a friend this morning and I was having to yell over the barking. That little thing can get some volume!

Call the landlord every day complaining of the noise. Tape it for proof. There are also noise ordinances that are probably being broken as well.

I feel for you.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I think your complaints are valid. I just don't know that a 6 week old puppy is an ASPCA intervention.

Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid. And apparently it's not illegal either.

Stupid breeder, stupid owner. Hopefully your landlord will step up because he/she has the opportunity to not be one of the stupids in this situation.

The breeder *might* need a license to sell puppies, depending on what state they are in....I certainly did in the previous state I lived in. And it was illegal there to sell puppies under seven weeks as well.
    However, something that took down a lot of breeders and got them out of the business was that they were supposed to be reporting the income for tax purposes, and most didn't. Your state's tax department and the IRS might be more interested than the ASPCA ....

You can also report the breeder to the CKC (or whichever registry they use) - some registries will act, some won't.

Complain in writing to the landlord, record the noise violations as well (if possible).

Poor pup

The breeder sent me a message yesterday saying that they decided to "take a chance on the owner!" They said he "might" make a good dog owner so they sold him a puppy. She also asked me to make sure nothing happened to him. I'm not in the house 24/7 so I can't guarantee that!

I also did some research about these "breeders." They are newly weds born in 1987 so they are basically a couple of kids looking to make money.

Default CKC = Continental Kennel Club?

I'm assuming you mean Continental Kennel Club. Registration body of choice for Commercial dog breeders and puppy mills. I could be wrong but I doubt that breeder cares a rip about the buyer or future fate of puppy as long as the check was cashed. It's all livestock to them

Or is it the Canadian Kennel Club? CKC appears to mean either. If it is Canadian, I would assume they had to litter registration and such so you'd think they would read the breeders code of ethics at least.

No it's Continental kennel club. These people aren't running a puppy mill but I bet the dogs they are breeding came from a puppy mill