The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Is Patron Club @ Rolex worth it?

I'll be staying in the campground w/ an RV, so the parking pass is not really factoring in...but the free booze helps, LOL!

Seriously, is the view great? Food great?

Its a bit of a stretch for me, but if its worth it, I'll try it this year.

I like to be out and about and rarely drink, but if I had the disposable income to spare I would buy patron tickets just to support the event.
    Click here before you buy.

We always used to spring for patron - until they did away with the patron seating (you now have to pay extra for grandstand seats). Didn't think the food was that great. Since we weren't camping the parking pass was nice though...
    Now we go GA.

FYI Lundy's does all the catering for the KHP and they're usually pretty crummy. I've been lucky enough to be in the Man O War Foundation tent a few times and it varies from year to year, with some years being better than others, but none of it beats my mother's brought-from-home XC day tailgate. If you already have a close parking spot and indeed have to pay for grandstand seating anyways, I wouldn't bother.

I heard (can't confirm) that KHP, not Lundy's, is catering the Rolex this year. I donate to the KHP Foundation so I can sit in their tent and eat non-Lundy's food. I think Lundy's is the worst caterer I've ever experienced.

So you can't really see the action in the arena from the tent? It does look like its ground level and pretty small - which isn't promising.

Dang - I was sort of hoping to 'live it up' this year, but I don't have that much disposable income. My vacations have to stand up to a cost/benefit analysis!

I have not done patron, but I have done Member tickets and it looks like the new version of Patron is what Member used to be in the beginning (the benefits of member were winnowed down over the years and now it does not appear to exist)
    The free booze are not worth it- between the lines and the quality, meh
    Having the food buffet right there in the tent with tables and without having to fight the crowd in the trade fair was actually a really nice perk. Food was nothing to write home about but it was decent.
    The parking pass is great but you don't need that
    It used to be that having a tent to retreat to for crummy weather or to have tables where we could sit for our meals or during breaks was a big bonus. I would think that is still a bonus but not sure how convenient they would be
    I do not know where the tents go now that there is the big grandstand from WEG. They used to be right behind where the member/patron seats were and while you could not see the ring from the tent (at least the member tent, think patron was the same and patron plus you could see from the tent) there were TVs with live action and they were right behind the stands so you could do a quick dodge into the tent- not sure how they could be that close given the new set-up but could be wrong
    If the view is a big deal to you, you should call the office and ask where the tent is
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

I've grudgingly ponied up for Patron's for the last several years. The food is pitiful and if there is anything good they tend to run out of it. They also recycle food from one day to the next which is not usually very successful--partly because it was something crummy no one wanted to eat the first day which is why it was left over to begin with. The only thing worse is eating the midway food in the trade fair. Actually the midway food is better I just can not eat those types of calories for 4 days and not feel sick (and gain weight!)

Years ago there was a different caterer for the food at Rolex and it was fabulous. I've been told that that the park went to a bid system where the deal was for the concessions contract for the whole park for a whole year leaving the Rolex event organizers stuck with whoever won the bid. This eleminated much of the catering competiton as most companies can't do/don't want a job that massive. So out went the smallish wonderful caterer and in came Lundy's. The first year of Lundy's was a shock and it has progressively gotten worse.

The view is ok not great--and to get a chair at the front you have to do the whole "save a chair" thing which makes people obnoxious. We get grandstand seats as well. (We are very serious about Rolex!)

Every year we say we aren't going to do it again then every year at ticket buying time we relent. If the food was good it would be a no brainer.

So why do I do it you ask? The close circuit TV in a dry place and/or shaded place. If the weather is perfect the ticket is a bit of a waste. If there is rain it is worth every penny and more. Can it go 4 days in Lexington in April without raining? One year of watching the close circuit under the tent while drinking at an open bar with like minded friends makes up for several years expense!

There's also some pretty decent parking for those of us who get there for the first rides. So the proximity of the tent to my parked car means I'm not schlepping around my purchases all day--and I spend a year preparing to shop at Rolex. I'm also able to change out clothes as the weather changes. Being in the right clothes at the right time is also very conducive to a good Rolex experience!

The people. The Rolex event staff that works the tent are wonderful, and many of my pals that I look forward seeing every year will also be in the Patrons tent.

So yes, we're doing it again this year...

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    weight!)
    years expense!
    So the proximity of the tent to my parked car means I'm not schlepping around my purchases all day--and I spend a year preparing to shop at Rolex. I'm also able to change out clothes as the weather changes.
    unless they have the same policy they had at WEG of no re-entry. Granted I did it once at WEG by groveling with the gate folks but the policy was if you leave, no re-entry on that icket
    No idea if that will be the policy for Rolex too
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

They typically let you re-enter at Rolex.