The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clip again or wait til horse sheds out?

My horse did well this winter with an apron clip. Now I'm finding that as the weather begins to get warmer in NJ it's becomming harder to cool my horse off with all the fur she has on her belly and legs. Most of the horses are beginning to shed quite a bit.

Should I wait for my horse to shed out? Or should I do some more extensive clipping to deal with the cooling off problem?

I'm in the same situation! I'm not dealing with a woolly mammoth but waiting around for the saddle area to dry is getting old!

You can clip any time you want so if you want to full body clip now that's fine.

Will clipping again this late in the season have implications on how my horse's coat will look in the late spring? I'm hoping to avoid lines that will make it obvious where her winter coat was In case I don't do the best job

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    Will clipping again this late in the season have implications on how my horse's coat will look in the late spring? I'm hoping to avoid lines that will make it obvious where her winter coat was In case I don't do the best job
    nope - I always clip my horses at the end of february - I just clipped my guy on saturday and there was as much hair as when I clipped him in the fall.

However, riding him after he was clipped was amazing and so much better for him - he likes it so much better without all that sweaty hair.

It won't mess up his coat at all.

I always clipped my last horse at least twice, last winter it was 3 times! Once in the fall, once in the middle of winter because he grew so much back, and then again in the spring as soon as he started shedding dramatically. I hate dealing with shedding so as soon as he'd start to shed I'd clip everything off body, head legs, everything. The only thing that stayed last year was the shark on his butt. haha =]

happy clipping! haha

Once your horse starts shedding she has also started growing in her summer coat. "Theory" claims that if you clip a horse once they have started to shed, you will clip off the tips of her growing summer coat. Her summer coat will then be partially clipped, and won't be as shiny as it would otherwise be.

But in practice, I've seen lots of horses clipped in the spring and still grow in a beautiful, shiny, summer coat. I do think there is a possibility for the "theory" to hold up. If you are concerned about the possibility then maybe just clip your horses tummy. Just clipping the tummy should aid enough with heat build up to get you through the next couple months. Then watch how her coat grows in this summer. If her tummy hair are full length, complete hairs, then in the future you won't even need hesitate at late season clipping. Or, if they grow in looking obviously cut/clipped, you will know to avoid late season clipping. To avoid potential obvious lines, only clip what you don't see when standing, looking at her from the side.
    Last edited by RunHikeGolden; Feb. 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Great advice. Thanks. I'll try the tummy area and see how that goes.

One gelding I owned would get drenched in sweat when I worked him. He was a very impatient fellow. So even though he tolerated clippers, he didn't tolerate standing for extended periods of clipping. So I figured, I'll start with his tummy and a little strip up his neck and go from there. Similar to this, but I did just a little further back on the belly. (Scroll down to "Strip Clip")
    http://www.freewebs.com/tlcequineser...ippinginfo.htm

I was shocked at the difference in heat. He would barely even sweat after the clip. And I was pleased I didn't have to clip any more than just that Although a part of me was looking forward to a full body-clipped horse. They are so much easier to groom and easier to shed in spring.

Good luck with your girl!

It will not affect the summer coat at all. I have clipped my older guy in May two separate years, and he always had a gorgeous summer coat.