The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PONY barns/trainers for leasing, and how's the market?

Have a really awesome small pony, does the division or SS, lots of show miles, super cute, auto everything, and a packing machine for any kid...and I CAN'T seem to find a lease for it! Would sell it too but with the market ho-hum figured a lease would be easier for the time being.

Very frustrated as I don't have a rider for it this year and time is running out as far as getting someone to lease still for this season, probably most people are already set by this time of year.

Have tried bigeq and another for sale site but not much in the way of bites. I know when I was looking for a made small I would have snapped this one up. Price is decent and I'm prepared to be very negotiable.

We are not really big into ponies and I don't have pony connections. Can anyone recommend WHO to contact who moves a lot of ponies? Someone REPUTABLE!! There must be some kid somewhere that needs a nice one for this year! Where the heck are they??!! HELP!

Oh and ballpark on what something like this is leasing for these days?
    Last edited by murph; Feb. 21, 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Pony market is currently strong for smalls & mediums especially. Lease price usually about 1/3 of sale price adjusted for length of lease. There are a lot of pony trainers. Jamie Terhune in Ocala is selling lots. Bill Schaub, Bibby Farmer, etc have reputations of many years. If you can get to a show, watch the pony ring and pick out a trainer that you like to help. There are also FB sites such as Just Ponies for Lease or Sale. You need to be a friend of a member to post but there are lots of ponies getting 'done' in all price ranges, & enough members that you're bound to be friends with one of them. Best of all, it's free! PS if you have video, get it on you tube with caption like...small pony for lease. Lots of folks go looking at videos directly and contact owner off accompanying info. Good luck!

I see you're in Ontario. I would try Longwood stables and Tracey Holmgren, she's always got quite a few ponies showing successfully and Heading to the Royal.