The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Does it strike anyone else as unseemly that suspended trainers are allowed to continue to bring their entire barn to major shows, such as WEF, let another trainer pinch hit for them while even their tackroom is set up right in the middle of the showgrounds, and continue on in the same old, same old manner? Sure, they're not physically located on the grounds training, but clearly they're continuing to reap enormous profits by having their people out showing, collecting training fees, day care, money, etc. And what sort of signal does it send to young kids when they see a suspended trainer's barn and banner at WEF?

Not sure what the answer is, or if there even is one. Thoughts?

Does it strike anyone else as unseemly that suspended trainers are allowed to continue to bring their entire barn to major shows, such as WEF, let another trainer pinch hit for them while even their tackroom is set up right in the middle of the showgrounds, and continue on in the same old, same old manner? Sure, they're not physically located on the grounds training, but clearly they're continuing to reap enormous profits by having their people out showing, collecting training fees, day care, money, etc. And what sort of signal does it send to young kids when they see a suspended trainer's barn and banner at WEF?

Not sure what the answer is, or if there even is one. Thoughts?

The customers will not been suspended - in most cases... There's no reason they can't move to a new trainer.
    The trainer's name cannot be "displayed" on the showgrounds. Some of us remember when GHM was set down - all the trunks had duct tape over the name "Hunterdon" and other folks trained the horses.
    There is a rule about the replacement trainer making money to benefit the supended person - but I haven't had enough caffeine, so maybe someone else will chime in ... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    As for the banner - I'm sure when the "real" WEF starts in 7 days, someone will duct tape over the name http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

I guess that is a moral decision clients and parents need to make on their own. We don't know what was said by the trainer to his/her clients.

"Unseemly" is an admirable way of putting it, hjchik. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Yes, this infuriates me, too. These so-called suspensions are utterly meaningless, pointless, and a big fat waste of the Hearing Committee's time (not to mention your money and mine).

A suspension should be a SUSPENSION.

"Those who use horses just for the business are crass, classless horsemen."
    --George Morris
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

As long as the suspended trainers are obeying the rules, you (we) have nothing to judge or comment on.

If you don't like the rule or the effect of the rule, then you need to campaign to change the rule.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) the USEF doesn't have any juristiction over what happens OFF the show grounds.

Janet
    chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle, and Brain
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Since those shows are not rated, they do not fall under the USEF rules.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Why was GHM suspended and when was this?

**>>It's not bragging if you can back it up!<<**
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

I know the topic is WEF

But there are also some suspended trainers set up at Ocala. They too are also in the unrated shots right now.

Just FYI

"Just ANOTHER Unpaid Groom, A Mom"

I understand that the WEF shows aren't rated as of yet, but the Littlewood ones are, correct?

To answer the original poster's question: they are still in business because winning means that much to people. A couple of threads ago, everyone was raving about what a wonderful, hardworking student a particular junior was after she was profiled in a teen magazine. Her trainer is one who is suspended for drugging horses. I am not passing judgement -- I do not know what I would do in that situation. Trainers mean a lot to people. However, did this teenager really go this far because of her talent, or because her horse had "additional" substances to help it be so great?

I dont know the answer-- just posing a question.

**>>It's not bragging if you can back it up!<<**
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

hjchik, Littlewood is not on the WEF grounds. They have a separate show grounds.

Midge-
    I understand that...Just saying that they are still operating their businesses...still doesn't look good in my opinion.

To answer the original poster's question: they are still in business because winning means that much to people. A couple of threads ago, everyone was raving about what a wonderful, hardworking student a particular junior was after she was profiled in a teen magazine. Her trainer is one who is suspended for drugging horses. I am not passing judgement -- I do not know what I would do in that situation. Trainers mean a lot to people. However, did this teenager really go this far because of her talent, or because her horse had "additional" substances to help it be so great?
    ------------------------------------------------

Do you seriously think that the drugs these trainers are giving to the horses are going to make them find the jumps, ride the ring, keep control and shape everywhere every step, get the leads, get the strides, make the rider maintain good feel and softness yet firm all at the same time!! All that these medications do is make a lame horse sound, make a crazy horse sain, or make a high horse quiet without crippling it on the lunge line! I am not saying that I agree with the use of illegal substances, but these substances DO NOT enhance the riding ability of the rider.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Silk:
    Why was GHM suspended and when was this?

QUOTE]

Yes more on this?

hjchik, I don't think anyone feels they should be out of business. Their punishment involves fines and they are not allowed to be on the horse show grounds.

If anyone should be embarassed, it's the customers going in and out of those barns.

whalo, I have to disagree. It is much easier to give a good ride to a horse that is feeling no pain, sane, and quiet than it is to a horse that is tense or fussy for whatever reason. You have a lot fewer unexpected "whoopsies."

Believe it or not, not all suspended trainers are dirty cheaters drugging every horse for better performance and ribbons. Some made truly honest mistakes.

For example, one particular suspended BNT allowed a Vet at a horse show to administer meds to a horse in his care due to illness. The vet advised waiting 45 days before showing this horse because the meds would test positive. This BNT waited 50+ days to show the horse who then tested positive at that show.

The Vet even testified to this scenario at the BNT's USEF trial to no avail. The USEF is on a witch hunt and some innocent people are getting burned. Yes, some are multiple offenders who need punishment but others just had bad luck.
    If their clients want to stick by them, that's their perogative. Don't judge people's decisions without knowing all the info.

Please do not judge me for what I am about to say. I believe 100%++++ that all persons suspended need to follow the rules and set a good example for the rest of the equine community.

1 1/2 years ago, I traveled across the country to meet with a person that will probably never be removed from the suspension list. I had personal business from my childhood to attend to with this person. Nothing horse related.

I was told by this person that they were late meeting with me, as the GP that they had just come back from, ran late. This person went to the GP, schooled the client and sat in the bleachers in a disquise and was never recognized. This is the same way that this person had schooled the same client a few months earlier in Florida. The clients mother was there at the house with us and the two of them just giggled about the entire situation.

Do you recall the trainer that would sit on a hill off of show grounds with binoculars and a radio devise and watch his clients school & show & then relay back to both the assistant trainer and the client?

What messages are we sending our children? The morals & values that are learnt while being involved with horses from an early age become engrained in our personalities and carry through to our adult lives.

What do we have to do to enforce these suspensions? Put a monitor on the suspended individuals, as the police do to those under house arrest?

More specific rules need to be written and enforced. I hate to think what will become of our horse community for our grandchildren.
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston