The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Wow. Good lesson learned there, but I'm really sorry about your boy . I hope he does regain his hearing! I'm now going to obsessively read side effects of anything I give my dog, and make sure I quiz the vet too. Vet may not like this but my dogs health is more important!

I know every drug has a side effect, but that doesn't mean we should not be vigilant about doing our research.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Aminoglycoside-induced ototoxicity is relatively rare, but typically irreversible.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I shouldn't have to ask the Vet for the literature. I paid for it, so it should have been in the box. How was I to know this medicine causes deafness? If I would have any idea, then I would have looked it up on the web. You sound as though you are a know it all. I guess you know what people say about know it alls. If not, look that up on the INTERNET. It has been 15 days, still deaf. My Vet in Indiana stated that all Vets should tell the pet owners that it causes hearing losses in older dogs. I pay big bucks to my Vet, so at least he should have told me the side effects or gave me a box with instructions enclosed. I have notified the company, guess what no reply. They won't reply for I am sure alot of people have notified them about Malotic. Sounds like there should be a class action lawsuit against this company. You can defend this company if ya want, but what it the table was reversed. You wouldn't like it, Ms. Know it All.

Untreated ear infections can cause deafness too. You're between a rock and a hard place.

I don't see how you can sue the manufacturer...it's listed in the adverse effects. I don't know about the others, but anytime I'm given a medication, either for my animals or for myself, I research the adverse effects before using it. Half the time, I know more about the adverse effects than the doctor does. That doesn't make me sue happy, however.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

rwhite5789, you're not related to rwhite2012 by any chance, are you?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'd rather be a Ms Know-It-All who goes through life as prepared as can be, than one who slouches through hoping everyone will hand-walk her through the mazes of life. I think I'm in for fewer unhappy surprises.

And while I'm still sorry for your dog and hope his hearing returns, I'm afraid I'm a whole lot less sympathetic to you simply because you've been pretty nasty for no real reason.

That old bromide about drawing more flies with honey than with vinegar is a good one. If you want excellent service, be an excellent client.