The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Crabbypants.
    Heifer.
    Jerk.

Will that do, or do you need more? And I'm not alone, dear: There's a lotta folks on this thread agreeing the OP is just...wow.

No need to be so rude!

It is possible to disagree with someone without calling people names.

You asked a question you intended to be both condescending and critical. I answered it, sweet Otterlover, and in doing so ....I was calling MYSELF names.

I really owe myself an apology.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default And lots of folks who don't agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Crabbypants.
    Heifer.
    Jerk.

Will that do, or do you need more? And I'm not alone, dear: There's a lotta folks on this thread agreeing the OP is just...wow.
    For the life of me can't understand the personal attacks. You don't even know me. Don't you think it's way past time to let it go?

Life is too short

I attacked MYSELF in JEST.

But you see what you want to see, boo.

Quote Originally Posted by redalter View Post
    I guess I am just tired of it. They try to take advantage and are obnoxious in other ways, this was just the last straw, and now they are parading around with the charity thing and it is making me sick.
    I haven't read through all of the posts, but just wanted to comment on what was said above. Life is just too short to spend that much time worrying what other people say and do. You can chose to either stew about it and get yourself worked up, or don't let it concern you so much and have a happier life.

A good quote to remember:
    "Sometimes I’ve spent two hours of my day thinking about one person I resent and going through orations and thinking, ‘If he ever says this, I’ll say that'. I find myself now, when I get caught up in something like that, becoming conscious suddenly and going, ‘Oh, wait, I’m here. I’m not with that person right now. I’m creating things that don’t even exist.’ It’s useless. It’s time badly spent.” Jim Carrey
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

I spay and neuter the cats hanging around. Some stay, some don't. I'm one of the few who does and A/C won't take cats. The first time I called the so-called shelter, I said what am I supposed to do with him, run over him with my car? They said, and I quote "I can't tell you to do that."

So, I fix them all. However, I don't go around thinking everyone should pat me on the back either. I do it because it's the right thing to do. Other people don't care...or worse, they feed them and don't speuter them.

I am a little pissed at the pretty gray tom cat I had neutered. Ungrateful cat was hanging around for months before I caught him. Had him neutered, kept him locked up for a week for time to completely heal and he took off and never looked back when I let him go. I'm down to my Lily and the phantom garage cat (spayed but I only see glimpses of her from time to time).

I do need a good rabbit hunting cat...anyone have a spare?

Saying things to intentionally annoy someone...
    What is that called again?
    Crabbypants.
    Heifer.
    Jerk.

It does indeed seem to be Katarine self-insulting.

I think it's great that the OP had the cat fixed.
    The way I read it/OP posted it does seem to indicate that the cat belongs to nobody really and is a wandering stray. There are plenty of areas that have wandering strays and I'd probably not be thrilled if a neighbor chose one, brought it to me and said I was financially responsible for it because I once described it and said it wandered on my property too. Would I fix it? Quite probably. Would I find it very odd/forward/pissy of a neighbor telling me I HAD to? Yes.
    Adding in that the neighbors have visible signs of a decent income and the OP thinks they flaunt it and that they're rotten for raising for charity and only doing that for selfish reasons according to the OP? Well, that also left a bad taste in my mouth reading that. It does come across as very sour and petty grapes...even if the OP isn't feeling that way we only have their post to go by and it's seemingly coming across that way to more than 1-2 people.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I'll tell you what a selfish neighbor is. One who owns a dog who barks incessantly, 12-14 hours per day, 7 days per week. Non-stop. She puts him out and often leaves for the day. He has been out as early as 6am and out as late as midnight.

I have listened to this for 6 years with small amounts of peace shortly after reporting her to the proper authorities. I fantasize about all the different ways I could kill this dog with my bare hands, even knowing that this is in no way the fault of the dog but is the fault of the selfish owner. I've left her a nice note, then a nasty note, called the dog officer who tried to explain to me that she is a breeder and this type of dog has to bark or it will not hunt properly. Ok, she shows in AKc, no hunting or trials. Putting a bark collar on the dog would stop it from barking when it has the collar on, not when it is at a dog show with no collar. So, AC is an ignorant ass. The dogs is not barking at anything in particular, he .....just....barks. One bark every 3-4 seconds. Like chinese water torture. Next, I will take her before the board of selectman based on the nuicance dog ordinance.

So OP, I would gladly fork over the cash for your spayed stray if you would take on the truly selfish neighbor I am living next to.

*Sigh* If I had a nickle for every neighbors' cat that I've spayed or neutered I'd have at least $1.50. I don't consider every cat that I've trapped and neutered mine. Some are just drive bys. Whatever. They spray, they fight, they get fixed. That's the way the world turns at my house - but I am a crazy cat lady.

This has to be one of the most bizarre posts I've read on this board yet.

How is your neighbor responsible for spaying a stray cat that happens to be hanging around their barn? They declined to do so and you're angry at them for "being selfish?"

While it's great that you took upon yourself to have stray kitty spayed, it was your perogative to do so. It's not your perogative to tell your neighbor what to do with a stray cat that's hanging around their property.
    Last edited by Prime Time Rider; Feb. 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

OP is certainly WOW.

[QUOTE=redalter;6155223]Sigh. I guess that was it. They told us originally they had a new cat hanging around. Sleeping in thier barn. "

A new cat hanging around and sleeping in the barn isn't their cat, well no more than it was your cat since it was hanging around your place as well. Nice of you to have it spayed but some nerve badmouthing your neighbor for not spaying a stray and omg, doing charity *gasp*

The fact that you feel it necessary to reference their nice things (how dare they) definitely smacks of sour grapes.

"Now I see the neightbor is doing a big thing for charity, and donating.

Nice. Really nice. Some people are so... common.."

"I guess I am just tired of it. They try to take advantage and are obnoxious in other ways, this was just the last straw, and now they are parading around with the charity thing and it is making me sick."

You are some piece of work, that other people doing charity makes you sick. I think I'd rather have them as my neighbor than you.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by SaveTheOtters View Post
    Saying things to intentionally annoy someone...
    What is that called again?
    Poking the bear?

OP:
    I have had a stray take up residence in my barn for a year now.
    I would dearly love to trap he/she & have it vetted, but I can just now get as close as 3ft from said cat.
    Feeding is easy - he/she meets me and accompanies me to the assigned bowl. But touching is still not possible.
    This cat has a pronounced limp so possibly human interactions in its past were not favorable.

Maybe your obnoxious neighbors could not get hold of cat in question?
    Kudos to you for neutering, but really not reason to be hating the neighbors.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

I've had a neighbor (I suspect they were hoarders from a lot of evidence) who bragged to the new neighbor that they only got the rabies shots for the dog at the discount clinic because otherwise animal control dropped in (they were very pro-active there), and spent nothing on their cats. The new neighbor spent the next two nights redoing the screened porch and sealing it with two layers of metal screening (one inside the frame and one outside so there was no contact) so his cats wouldn't come in contact with the roaming, wormy looking, scraggly cats the neighbors let roam constantly. The males disappeared one by one (cars? other cats? something in the big woods near us where they hunted?) from accident or illness (they really did look bad). Eventually the only one left was the female that had two litters a year, would be gone for a while, then reappear with two or so kittens, and the kittens usually disappeared shortly for whatever reason. That one cat left parts of what she hunted down and caught all over my yard, and the one year her two boy kittens survived she taught them that the places in my far back yard that were sandy were great litter boxes. I almost puked while mowing when I found out about the cat litter forest in my back yard. Since I only saw their cats wandering, and no one else had wandering cats I knew who the cats belonged to, I gathered the majority of it, and spent a good long time flinging it over the fence to their yard. I doubt they ever even noticed since they never even went out there, but it got it out of my yard. These people said it was their cat, and everyone knew they were their animals, and how neglected they were. Unfortunately, there were no laws about cats and care, so the female had multiple litters until she met her end (don't know what happened, except she disappeared) , and the two male kittens were captured by a neighbor, neutered, and she took them with her when she moved (they're now happy indoor cats that are loved and cared for-and unfortunately leukemia positive). The neighbors never replaced the cat, so at least the neighborhood is spared that now, but some people do have many strays they adopt that are their cats.

Years ago a neighbor (when I was a kid and dinosaurs roamed the earth) a pregnant black and white stray showed up at a neighbor's house, they kept her, and named her Stranger. Unfortunately, she wasn't a stranger to boy cats, and many litters subsequently resulted. Within a few years there were black and white cats for many blocks around, and the hubbub when the people when out to toss the dry cat food around the front yard was amazing (one neighbor said that he counted over 20 one time). The kittens usually found homes, and were neutered/spayed so eventually the hoard reduced, but the neighbors thought all cats should only be outdoors, and live without interference. SOme people just never get the point that responsible pet owners should take proper medical care of their animals.

I think everyone has had a neighbor like this at one time or another, where when you see the new puppy or dog, or cats that eventually they'll end up road kill, or coyote bait. You see a lot of dumped animals at about the six month to older age after the so-called owner doesn't want to shell out for shots, and neutering/spaying about the time the animal isn't so little and cute anymore. When someone tells me it's their animal until the bills come in, I believe what they said when they called it theirs.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

There is a simple solution to this.

(Only watch this video if you aren't fond of kitties, have a questionable moral compass and/or a sense of humor. Otherwise you will be offended and write angry comments to a guy that probably won't even read them.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

isn't there some wise and ancient saying that mentions something about once you have the knowledge of something,it [I]becomes[I] your responsibility...?

OP, you did the RIGHT THING......you had knowledge of a situation, and took responsibility for it....full stop.
    you are the one with jiminy cricket on your shoulder,telling you the right thing..............your moral compass is more "true" than your neighbors'.....................
    but, very often, doing the "right thing" is the booby prize, ya know?........seems some folks get the glory while others are in the background,cleaning up and putting out fires...
    it can get pretty frustrating, annoying, and the shine wears off after a while.......................BUT, isn't that the kind of person you'd rather be, anyway?....seems you already are that sorta person,just happen to be at the point where doing the right thing was one more thing on your plate you didn't really need......we ALL have days like that...and venting helps.....
    hope your new kitty settles in and works hard for you....

I'll tell you what a selfish neighbor is. One who owns a dog who barks incessantly, 12-14 hours per day, 7 days per week. Non-stop. She puts him out and often leaves for the day. He has been out as early as 6am and out as late as midnight.
    OMG are you my neighbor? Ok, MA is a long way from WA so no... Maybe our neighbors are related? Our does the exact same thing with their dog only they leave it tethered at least 16 - 18 hours a day. I wrote a note and they stopped for maybe a week or week and a half and he's back out there barking away. It makes me freakin nuts. On top of it they have now gone out and gotten a goat. One single, lonely, miserable goat... That they leave tethered 24 hours a day rather then, I dunno, being a decent animal owner and putting up a freakin fence! WTH? I am really fortunate to have several wonderful neighbors, but this one just kills me.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerino View Post
    This statement will probably not make me very popular but I've been trapping my neighbors cats for the last month. I live in an area of 1.5acre properties & my neighbor who I share a fence line with has about 20 unsterilized outside cats. I was tired of my house,barn,car smelling like cat piss. I'd wake up in the morning to cat fights on my back deck on a regular basis. It was too much. I've caught 9 so far and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it.
    Why feel guilty? Unless you did something bad after you trapped them.

"Having a new cat hanging around" and/or "had this new cat wander into our barn" =/= "I have a new cat" or "I got a new cat" or "this cat is my cat"

He could have just been describing the cat in case it was YOUR cat. Like "Gee, Ed, I had this new cat show up, he was about a year old, big and fat, orange tabby male with one ear split, he's been eating our food and sleeping in the barn..." no where in that sentence does it mean "Gee, Ed, I own this new cat"
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Talking

SUZ,
    that video made me laugh and laugh

No comment on the OP, but I had to say...this is my new favorite quote. Thank you for making me smile!

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post

Hating on people who don't give you a second thought is like taking poison and expecting someone else to die.