The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Angry Selfish neighbor vent...

So. We have this neighbor, who has a boarding/training etc. facility.

They have lots of stuff. And love to put it out there that they are generous, etc.

However. When it comes to the barn cats, not so much.

Their cats wander over to my property. Fine, I'm sure mine do over there - but they had this one who was not fixed. One of them mentioned to my SO, oh, we have this cat that's been around, etc. , etc - and described this cat.

The cat starts wandering over to our place, picking fights, etc., so I bring the cat over to their place.

Me: here's your cat
    Them: "oh, no thanks, I don't want another cat
    Me: but it's your cat, not mine, it's starting fights, etc.
    Them: no, no don't want another cat - "dont have the money to spend on the spay/neuter, etc.
    Me: But it's your cat
    them: no, but thanks!

Cat continues to wander over to my place. Driving my cats away. Shelter won't take. I break down. Spay, etc. $100!!!!

Now I see the neightbor is doing a big thing for charity, and donating.

Nice. Really nice. Some people are so... common.

Yet everyone thinks neighbor is big hero. I am so angry.

Thanks for letting me rant....

maybe that wandering Tom just wandered onto their place like he wandered onto yours?

AKA how do you KNOW he's their cat vs. some Tom that rolled up on their place and copped a squat?

Cats wander. Your assuming it IS their cat. If you didn't want to pay to fix it should have dropped it off at the ASPCA. Don't assume that because they "have more" that they SHOULD have to neuter a stray cat.

Uhmmm, because they said it was thier cat at first. Maybe that's why I thought that.

I don't assume it's because they "have more" I think that because they always make a big show of how much they have, but in reality, it's because they do this kind of crap.

And not to sound snarky, but why would you assume they have more than we do? And why is it that if one has more or less that excuses them from doing the decent thing and having the cat fixed?

they told us it was thier cat that showed up and started hanging around THEIR HOUSE, sleeping in THIER barn. Only when it came time to do something, it was magically a stray.

AND, the SPCA said they would not take the cat. Period.
    Last edited by redalter; Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: restating from first post

Well, you left out the part that they had told you before that it was their cat, so how are we supposed to know?
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

we have this cat that's been around, etc. , etc - and described this cat.

They didn't say it was their cat really......I have this bear that's been around my place....he ain't MY bear ;-)
    Kerri

1 members found this post helpful.

Your rant reads wrong, red.

We have this cat. Hmm. But, hey no problem I guess that means it's not their cat.

Wow. Never mind, well gee, good on you for population control, or gee, sorry it's was fighting with your cts. Nope. let's just attack the person with the problem, not the irresponsible neighbor.

gotcha. thanks so much.

Wow.

I understand your frustration, we always have cats showing up. But, unless you know it was theirs and did not just show up at their farm first, you just have to deal. The lady down the road takes in extra cats all the time. She does not feed them, but she will take any cat, from anyone, anytime. Then my cats meet them and must tell them there is always a big bowl of food out in my feed room and then....I have another cat.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Quality Hunter Ponies

Dudette you aren't being attacked. You are being questioned.

Don't want responses, don't post.

Just feel good knowing that you did a good thing. And count your lucky stars that this incident is an example of your neighbor and his/her worst. Just because they don't meet YOUR expectations of how to handle stray animals doesn't mean that they are bad or irresponsible people. Read through some of the other very serious neighbor issues that people post on this board and you'll understand why you aren't getting a ton of sympathy. I'm sure dealing with this cat was no fun, but no one gets along with their neighbors perfectly. Just be proud of the way you handled the situation and let it go.

Default I think this was it

Quote Originally Posted by Somermist View Post
    I understand your frustration, we always have cats showing up. But, unless you know it was theirs and did not just show up at their farm first, you just have to deal. The lady down the road takes in extra cats all the time. She does not feed them, but she will take any cat, from anyone, anytime. Then my cats meet them and must tell them there is always a big bowl of food out in my feed room and then....I have another cat.
    Sigh. I guess that was it. They told us originally they had a new cat hanging around. Sleeping in thier barn. They described this cat. Then it became a stray when it had to be spayed.

One of them even suggested I take it far away and dump it.

Nice.

I guess I am just tired of it. They try to take advantage and are obnoxious in other ways, this was just the last straw, and now they are parading around with the charity thing and it is making me sick.

The funny thing is, LOTS of people warned me about them, and the stuff they've done to other people, I guess it's just my turn. Lucky me.

Default Thanks but not a dudette.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Dudette you aren't being attacked. You are being questioned.

Don't want responses, don't post.
    Response doesn't necessarily mean attack, though, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by redalter View Post
    We have
    One of them mentioned to my SO, oh, we have this cat that's been around, etc. , etc - and described this cat.
    Doesn't sound like they're claiming it to me. Just that it had 'been around' their farm as well as yours.

Congrats on your new neutered tom.

Hating on people who don't give you a second thought is like taking poison and expecting someone else to die.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Sigh. I guess that was it. They told us originally they had a new cat hanging around. Sleeping in thier barn. They described this cat. Then it became a stray when it had to be spayed.
    If someone told me they had a new cat hanging around I would take that to mean a stray appeared at their place. Not that they got a new cat. People do not use the term hanging around to describe an animal they chose to have.

I hope the new boy is doing a good job taking care of any rodents.

Response doesn't necessarily mean attack, though, does it?
    Dude, I so thought you were a girl. The hyperventilating hystrionics just reeked of angry bird.

Toms are neutered. Females are spayed.

Default It had never been on our farm prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Doesn't sound like they're claiming it to me. Just that it had 'been around' their farm as well as yours.

Congrats on your new neutered tom.

Hating on people who don't give you a second thought is like taking poison and expecting someone else to die.

A. Dont hate them - where did that come from?
    B. Let me be super clear here. They said they had a new cat. They . Had. A . New. Cat.

They admitted they did not want to spend money on spaying.

It stopped being their cat when it came to being responsible for said cat.

Are these neighbors dangerous? No. Do I have sympathy for those with truly crazy neighbors? Yes.

I just wanted to vent about a neighbor who puts themselves out there as this big, generous, professional, when in reality, they were petty and nasty to someone who had never done anything to them, and in fact they had the nerve to call and ask us (again) for some help with something shortly after that.

And, the cat is a girl.

People suck. Barn cats disappear all the time. SSS.
    ::I do not understand your specific kind of crazy, but I do admire your total commitment to it::

Default Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Dude, I so thought you were a girl. The hyperventilating hystrionics just reeked of angry bird.

Toms are neutered. Females are spayed.

Wow. Uhmm, thanks so much for the education, and the - just wow.

Sorry, I forget sometimes that I post sometime when others are posting during school hours.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the "selfish" part. Cat is a stray that evidently wanders between two farms, neighbor doesn't want it, OP is upset that neighbor won't take cat and have it spayed. How on earth is that a selfish neighbor?