The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Presidents and The Horses They Rode

You can scroll over the photos to get thumbnail info.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1030880&type=3
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Cool! Thanks.

Interesting pics - thanks for finding that.

Talk about an overweight rider...that poor horse under William Howard Taft!

That is really a great compilation, but one president is totally left out. President Jefferson Davis of the Confederate States of America. Like many of his fellow West Pointers, Davis served in the Mexican War and had a favorite horse named Thunder. Jefferson Davis, after leaving Congress at the start of the Mexican War, was elected colonel of the 1st Mississippi Regiment and served in the US Army.

He fought under his former father-in-law, Zachary Taylor, who did become president of the USA just after the Mexican war. Zachary Taylor owned several plantations in Louisiana, and his daughter Sarah Knox Davis, who married Jefferson Davis against his wishes is buried near St. Francisville, LA in West Feliciana Parish. Zachary Taylor also lived for a time in Baton Rouge, LA. and established Fort Jessup in that state.

Jefferson Davis's childhood plantation home Rosemont is located just a few miles south of Woodville, Mississippi, just north of West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana. In his later years, Davis lived at Beauvoir near Biloxi, MS and he died in New Olreans, LA.

A plantation home owned by Zachary Taylor is located near Batchelor, LA in Pointe Coupee Parish just across the Mississippi River from West Feliciana Parish.

During an age when horsemanship was prized, especially in the army, many men were accomplished horsemen. At the beginning of the War between the States some people were very worried about the outcome despite the advantages of the USA in factories, population, railroads and ships because Southerons, as some called Southerners back then were famed for the quality of their horses and their horsmen. Many southern generals including my great, great grand uncle Paul O. Hebert were graduates of West Point.

Here are two links to Jefferson Davis astride a horse. Hapy Presidents' Day.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1xHGa7f9_p...00/Thunder.jpg

http://www.mtgriffith.com/web_images/jeffersondavis.jpg

My barn owner found a reference to one of President Ulysees S. Grant's Arabian stallions being at stud on her farm in NoVA. Their barn is about 200 years old (and restored beautifully).

JFTR, that compilation was put together by COTH member thedrafthorse, a/k/a Christina, a historian and one of the co-founders of Blue Star Equiculture, to whose page that link takes you

BSE is also the official retirement home for the Horse & Carriage Assoc of NYC
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Pic 38- Cool boots Ronnie is wearing what type would they be polo?

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    I've got a number of photos of Reagan like that. They are my answer to folks who claim, "Real Men don't ride English."

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I think the FB page is for Presidents of the United States only.

My signed photo of President Reagan riding El Alamein, the grey Arab, is a treasured possession! The horse was given to him as a gift from the then-President of Mexico, I believe.

President Reagan is wearing calvary boots, and - I may be wrong about this but it rings a bell with me - IIRC he was a Dehner man through and through.

What a great collection, I love seeing old timey horse photos. Surprising how many early horses seemed to be Saddlebred or Saddlebred types. Love the photo of Teddy jumping that horse, just looks oh so cool and confident
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy Gray VA View Post

My signed photo of President Reagan riding El Alamein, the grey Arab, is a treasured possession! The horse was given to him as a gift from the then-President of Mexico, I believe.

President Reagan is wearing calvary boots, and - I may be wrong about this but it rings a bell with me - IIRC he was a Dehner man through and through.
    I believe you're right about the boots.

Reagan was part of group of actors in the mid-30s who learned to ride with the CA National Guard. That group included Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, and several other actors who became Names. The Guard needed to exercise their horses during the week and these guys needed to learn to ride as Westerns, period pieces, etc. were sources of jobs. It was a very good relationship for both.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Nope, they're Dehner 3-buckle field boots, based on a cavalry/artillery pattern boot from before WWI. They're great boots and very comfortable.

http://www.dehner.com/pics/largephot...hire_large.jpg
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Nice boots....
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy Gray VA View Post
    Well, a president is a president is a president. IS this YOUR page, and did you compile it? If not, how do you know what the "intent" of the compiler was? Maybe she was just a little forgetful in leaving out Jefferson Davis.

He obviously was a soldier, he obviously was a horseman, obviously was a president. I'm sure he depended on his horses just as much as those earlier presidents of the USA depended on theirs.

In that, he and the US presidents had something in common with everyone who needed dependable transportation back before motorized transportation.

As for the presidents after motorized vehicles made their debut and became common, well they mainly had horses for their pleasure as a pastime and a hobby- not that they were not good horsemen, they just did not have the same relationship that existed when horses were a necessity rather than a hobby--FDR and his show horse being a prime examble of this "modern" relationship and the same goes for Reagan.

...and President Kennedy with 'Macaroni 'the pony and John and Caroline.
    Too cute at the White House.

I love these old timey photos, too.

Always loved the trivia bit about U.S. Grant and his speeding ticket for driving too fast in downtown Washington

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/citc/mus...fic/index.html