The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feed Storage ...what is your setup?

I'm looking for ideas on the best way to store my feed. I have been using large trash barrels, with the rest of the bags waitng on a pallet, but am finding it difficult to keep the rodents at bay. I'd love to find an economical larger capacity system, but am drawing blanks beyond old chest freezers. The barn is still undergoing remodeling, so I've got pretty open options for the configuration of the feed area.
    Thoughts?
    -Jessica

I have 2 of these and have been very pleased, no rodents have gotten through and they are shallow enough they don't give me a back spasm getting grain out of the bottom (hate trash cans for that). They are also not hideously ugly like a freezer. I have tan so dust doesn't show.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...6-0c62aa612e63

I really love the dead chest freezers. You keep 'em out of the landfill, someone gets rid of what they don't want. They're moisture, bug, critter proof and its easy to partition off the interior with plastic tubs. Plus they double as work space on top. If it's rough looking, power sand it and then repaint with appliance spray paint.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

This may/may not be an option for you but I kept all my grain in a lounge room in my barn. Can you build a room that is heated/air conditioned? I always found it was nice not to have frozen blocks of feed in the winter The great thing about a separate room to is you can house a cat or two in there, or keep animals out and put traps out if your still worried about mice.

Dead chest freezer gal here.

Another vote for the chest freezer!

I just set the bags down in, open, and use until empty. Remove bag, place new one in its place. I don't dump the grain into the freezer.

I also need to upgrade the size...mine holds only 2 bags (small freezer), and I'm feeding 4 types of "grain" - alfalfa cubes, hay stretcher, MVP, and TC Senior. The freezer's shape takes up less floor space than round cans everywhere.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I 2nd the a/c and heated room for feed storage. I have an actual feed room in the stables with bins, but due to the heat here during the summer, feed can go rancid quickly, so I keep my feed in the climate controlled laundry room. To me, it makes the most sense to store it this way.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

We use the 55 gallon plastic drums (that did not contain hazardous material!) with locking lids. works great.

Also a dead freezer chest gal. We made partitions for it so I can have 3 types of feed which allows me to store my chicken feed in it as well. I used to have trash cans, then food grade bins on casters. I like this much better.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by spinandslide View Post
    We use the 55 gallon plastic drums (that did not contain hazardous material!) with locking lids. works great.
    Same here. We do keep extra bags on hand as well but between the cats and the chickens we haven't had a big rodent problem . . . (where's that piece of wood to knock on?)
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I used a chest freezer until ants went in through the tubes that were used to cool it and got inside to my feed. For now, I keep it in my truck.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    I used a chest freezer until ants went in through the tubes that were used to cool it and got inside to my feed. For now, I keep it in my truck.
    Yeah, good point. When you get a dead one, check to see that the tubes have been either clamped shut or, better yet, filled with spray foam.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

chest freezer here too. Metal cans for the open bags.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

Default MANY LARGE ( NEW) GARBAGE CONTAINERS ```

I USE MANY LARGE ( NEW) RODENT PROOF GARBAGE CONTAINERS ```EACH HOLD ONE 50# SACK ```

THEY ARE STANDING ON PALLETS SO AIR CIRCULATES AROUND THE CONTAINERS ```

ALL TIED TOGETHER ( ROPE THROUGH HANDLES) SO THEY DO NOT TIP OVER .

WORKS FOR ME ```
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Get more cats.

I have my grain rubbermaid containers, but can't fit it all in, so some is left in the bags. Chest freezer wouldn't be a good option as I feed 3-4 different kinds.

Lots of cats at our place. No rodents.

google "gamma vittles vaults" . They come in a variety of sizes, are air tight, water proof, rodent proof , AND Shetland Pony Proof. We have 4 of them-the tall one, 2 medium and a smaller one to keep our horse and chicken feed in. The pony has tried his darndest to get into them but with the lids twisting into the top, they are the most pony proof feed container I've ever had.

Our feed is delivered every other week. The delivery guy puts it in our kids no longer used play house. We carry the bags as we need them to the barn.

I've already got three cats, and three jrts . The rodent problem is largely due to the barn having deeply insulated (and therefore very thick between outside and inside wall), giving the vermin a completely cat and dog proof highway system around the barn. If theycan make it to a wall, they're home free. Short of tearing the barn down and building a new one, I'll always have some rodents around. I'll start looking for chest freezers ... with pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, and horses to feed, the larger the storage containers, the better thanks everyone!!
    -Jessica

Just for feed storage, if you can't find a chest freezer, you could also use a regular freezer on it's side, or even an old refrigerator. Look on Craigslist under freebies or appliances.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

I love to start with Freecycle.org to search for freezers. I've gotten 4 this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Same here. We do keep extra bags on hand as well but between the cats and the chickens we haven't had a big rodent problem . . . (where's that piece of wood to knock on?)
    all my kitties recently dissapeared..

I need to get some more, mice drive me nuts..I saw one in my hay shed the other night, he was snacking on my bag of rye seed!