The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default tack quality...Tory brand??

Anyone have experience with this brand? I found a breastcollar on horseloverz that is about half the price of the Courbette I was going to purchase, and my inner cheap-@ss has me wanting to buy it. I've never purchased anything by Tory, so I thought I'd ask!!

Tory is OK. Not top of the line but I don't find it the cheapest, either. I have a Tory figure 8 noseband I've used for a long time, and a pair of Tory rubber reins. I really liked the reins, but under hard use, they did stretch a bit. (As in several years of use). Buckles and stitching are all fine but the keepers died eventually. The leather is died a very nice color and it's not dried out, hard, oily, or stiff as you would find with the cheaper Indian items. As with everything...if you don't like it....send it back and make a stink if it is not what you thought it was or as promised. That is the only way the sellers will know someone is not happy.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I have their breastcollar and I love it. I've used it hard for 3 years and it's great. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Leather and elastic very sturdy, looks nice. The only thing I did was add some rubber keepers on the neck strap because the ones on there were a teeny bit too loose.

I have a halter made by them... I think it's very nice and I have gotten a lot of compliments on it. I have had it for about 5 years and it still looks lovely. I think the leather is quite nice. I would buy that brand again.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

I also think their leather feels very nice. I have a Tory breastplate, but haven't used it much.

Thanks everyone!! wildlifer, may I ask what type of horse you use it on? My guy is only 15.1h Arab/QH, and he doesn't have the big QH chest. I'm wondering if horse size will be too big or if he needs cob, which would force me to get the Courbette (darn!).

A former trainer has a ton of Tory breastplates, halters, etc. All held up super well and softened into quite nice leather with regular cleaning and conditioning.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Fine stuff and made in the USA to boot. I own a girth and a belt which I wear almost every day.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I own a Tory leather hunting breastplate that has seen decades of hard use and still looks fabulous!

Wow, and I thought everyone would jump on the Tory brand and denounce it! I also have several Tory items including breastplate, figure-8, and a few other minor items, I think a martingale...when you take care of them, they are very serviceable! Keep clean and oiled and they do seem to last forever!

I work in a tack shop and see all kinds of products. I really like the Tory line for quality. The leather is supple and strong. The colors (whichever you select) are fine. We have never had a complaint with their items. I have a Tory belt that I have used every day for the last year and it is great.

Okay, I'll be the only nay-sayer, but I have no experience with their breast collars. The only Tory item I own is a pair of reins that I HATE. They are buckle-ends and the stitching is coming undone at the buckles (I've only used them a few times). Also, there is too much "loop" between the end and the buckle such that they easily get hooked over the 3rd ring on my Myler combo bit (I ride off the 2nd ring). The leather quality and rubber are nice, but the buckle-end leaves a lot to be desired
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    Thanks everyone!! wildlifer, may I ask what type of horse you use it on?
    I have used it on my Appendix (who does have a big chest) but also on my OTTB, who is much narrower. I haven't tried it on the little guy in the barn, a 15.2 Arab, if I remember, I can check and see tonight.

I don't have a breast collar but I do have a figure 8 noseband and I think its nice enough leather. Its not edgewood by any means but it has held up really well. I don't use it daily anymore and I rarely oil or clean it but I have had it probably about 6 years and it is still nice and soft and all of the stitching is in tact.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

I have quite a few Tory products and I really like the quality. I have a few bridles that are quite nice, a few pairs of reins, and a few belts. I like the quality for the price. Best at that price.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

My only experience is with their belts, which I find surprisingly nice, very decent leather and they seem to last forever. I also had a padded Tory halter which was beautiful.

I, too, get a lot of mileage out of their belts. I also have had a few western headstalls and reins that are good quality for the price point.
    <<Reste sur le cheval.>>

I inquired with another store about the Tory adjustable hunting breastplate that Horseloverz has advertised in cob becuase the other store had it cheaper. It turns out, after contacting Tory directly, that there isn't actually a cob size. I was told it was very adjustable and would adjust down to cob (someone on this BB sent me a pic of their pony eventing in one).

I emailed Horseloverz to ask for some sort of explanation but never got a response.

I have a Tory Breastplate and it is cobb size and will not fit my horse, a AQHA mare, not overly broad!

So size is an issue despite what you were told....it is stamped cob/b!

Good luck!

Which Tory Breastplate did you get that comes in cob?

This one only comes in Horse size as said so by Tory themselves.
    http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=1032