The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nunn Finer/Bartville Bridle Sizing - NEW QUESTION: Stretching?

I posted a similar topic in H/J but since this brand seems to be more popular in the eventing world, I thought I would bring the more specific questions over here

I am going to buy a new schooling/jumper bridle for my guy and was thinking about going with Nunn Finer (mostly because I am dying to try a pair of the Sure Grip reins!) I am likely going to buy direct from Bartville but was wondering how accurate the sizing is of the different bridle pieces; for example, is the browband pretty average or does it run large? Does anyone have actual measurements or experience? My guy wears a Full size bridle currently and it fits well (a little on the large side for him, it has lots of room to go bigger and not much room to go any smaller). Any input?
    Last edited by Florida Gator; Mar. 23, 2012 at 05:22 PM.

I thought the cavesson ran a little small, and the cheekstraps a little long.

That said, I've managed to fit my horse size Nunn Finer on everything from cob size horses to oversize and it still looks great.

There are measurements in the Bartville catalog and I suspect Bit of Britain has them, too.

I love my Bartville tack! The horse size is super adjustable and I have the flash bridle, well three of them, and the figure eight bridle and I have another padded figure eight bridle and I have a dressage bridle with a padded crown and crank. All of them run pretty true to size and they are super nice quality for the price at Bartville. They do have the measurements for everything in the Bartville catalogue as well just as sprinkler said so just look and compare.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I love my Nunn Finer bridle!!! The "horse" size fits my TB w/average head size great and I love their rubber reins. Great quality for the price. I did have probs w/Nunn Finer bridle fitting my old lease TB with a small head. The cob size was too small in the throat latch for him. The "horse" size was too big in the brow band, but that horse's head was hard to fit period. Would definitely recommend Nunn Finer. You get a great quality bridle for $100 less than other higher end brands.

Thank you all so much! I ordered my catalog on Saturday, good to know that the measurements are in there already, how convenient! Can't wait to order

Don't forget, too, that Bartville is more than happy to mix and match for you!

So if you get the catalog and discover from the measurements that different sized bridle pieces will work best, they will happily put together the bridle you need from cob/horse/oversized parts.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBrickman View Post
    Don't forget, too, that Bartville is more than happy to mix and match for you!

So if you get the catalog and discover from the measurements that different sized bridle pieces will work best, they will happily put together the bridle you need from cob/horse/oversized parts.
    Agreed, and sometimes they won't even charge you the custom rate. For example, they have sold me a horse-sized bridle but swapped in cob-size cheekpieces, and they charged me the regular bridle rate for that.

That's awesome, they seem like a good company to work with! I'm hoping my guy takes all one size to keep it simple since I'm ordering by mail. I do want to see if they have something with a monocrown AND buckle ends. Nunn Finer doesn't seem to have anything like that. Does anyone know if they also do halters?

Bartville will tell you that their bridles run a tad to the smaller side. You could call them with measurements though if you wanted to be sure about sizing.
    And, yes, they do halters- gorgeous halters. I'm at the store about 2x's month for work and we buy all of our halters there. You can get a really, really nice quality halter for $42.00.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Gator View Post
    I do want to see if they have something with a monocrown AND buckle ends.
    Honey, these are the Amish we're talking about. They don't do fancy *anything* unless you custom order it--but I'm sure if you sent them a picture of a monocrown that you like, they would offer to build it custom for you and put it on their existing padded bridle. And they do very nice custom work.

They do make halters, and I suppose if you were already paying their (admittedly steep) shipping rates, their halters are as lovely as everything else they make. But they're not my pick for absolute best bang for your halter buck UNLESS you are already paying the shipping; for ordering JUST a halter, you would do better elsewhere financially (particularly at kyhorse.com but also Tack Shack Ocala and a few other joints).

JMHO, but the Bartville/Nunn Finer bridles are sized very oddly. The measurements in the Bartville catalog are accurate, so if in doubt, disassemble your existing bridle and measure everything against the Bartville measurements. Practically my entire barn is running around in Bartville bridles (due to my bad influence, of course!) and we did have to order a few Frankenbridles in the bunch.

PS, I have always gotten change back (like, dollars and quarters!) in my mail-order packages from Bartville if the shipping turned out to be cheaper than their standard rate. So for example, if I paid $17 in shipping and it only cost them $15, I get $2 back in a cute little envelope. How adorable is that.

Nunn Finer DOES have a monocrown type bridle in their less expensive line (not the Italian leather line) which is why I'm assuming it was made by Bartville and can be done, I just want to get that with buckle ends, something NunnFiner doesn't carry but can probably be done if I ask.

I live close to Tack Shack and I know their halters are quality but like you said, since I'm already paying Bartvilles shipping, I'd rather just get one from them. Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Florida Gator; Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Halters, not haters

How do I order a catalog? I looked around online but didn't see anything. Do I need to do it over the phone? I bought all my bridles there a few years back and would like to have a way to order from them again if I need to replace anything. Thanks!!

Call their store at 717-529-6992 between 8:00 and 8:30 EST, Monday through Saturday. If you call later than that, you will have to leave a message. It didn't cost me anything to have them send it to me and the girl I spoke with was SO sweet!

Measurements for Nunn Finer products (includes non-Bartville made items)

http://www.nunnfiner.com/category-s/152.htm

Only the flat leather bridles are made by Bartville. Anything raised (Italian leather or not) is made elsewhere.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Bartville is “around” the block from us so we are in there quite a bit. Needless to say we have bought quite a bit of tack from them over the years. We buy “off the shelf” and have never asked if it is made by them or someone else. Never paid “top dollar” for a bridle from them, except their race, but all have been of good quality. We only work with TB. It seems that all of the various bridles including race we have bought tend to be bigger then needed. I really don’t like the look of “long tails” and find it annoying. Our TBs are at least of average head size but I still have to punch extra holes. The brow bands on some, race included are a bit small, tight. Have had problems with some horses getting sore behind an ear. Having to run the bit strap up to the top or add holes doesn’t help.
    I do love the store they have just about everything. Prefer to get my halters from Pinkstons in Lex KY. Yes, they do have a phone number but remember this is an Amish store, I.e. no electricity, gas lights, etc. I don’t know where the phone is and it is pretty much message only. I’ve never seen them on the phone in the store.

Default Bartville

I am pretty much a Bartville addict. As someone mentioned above, I've pretty much converted my entire barn. I go down there about once a month so Eli and Levi pretty much know me by sight !!

Eli told me the cob runs really small, like pony small. They dont have pony sizes so they made the cob fits pony and cob. So, he recommended that i get horse size which is very adjustable and swap out the cheeks for cob. It fits perfectly. He does want to know the measurements of your existing bridle, so you are much better off you measure everything then tell him the sizes and he will piece together everything that you need.

They did modify their standard black dressage bridle to include a crank noseband and also the noseband strap runs over the crown piece. I do like it alot. Their leather is amazing quality. We compared a Jerry's bridle versus a Bartville Bridle and they looked almost identical. The buckles were smaller on the Bartville but they looked alot nicer IMO.

Rocky, I'm so glad you posted about your modified bridle. Did you have to go up a size for the noseband strap (from horse to oversize)? Do you remember if they charged extra for the modification? I'm sending a money order so I would like it to be as close to the actual cost as possible. Thanks!

FG, My horse is actually a cob size in Stubben, but Eli recommended I go with the horse size bridle and swap out the cheeks for cob size. He was really dismayed that I would show up without having measurements But, the new catalog has all their measurements so just measure your current bridle and compare to what their sizes are and they will swap out any pieces you need.

I actually had them make me a double bridle by adding a bradoon hanger, padded crown (with both straps running over the crown), a non-flash crank noseband, 1/2 inch plain reins and 5/8" softgrip reins. It looks really nice. Whole thing was under $170 at the time.

I think their standard dressage bridle now includes the padded crown (with the strap over the crown), and padded flash crank noseband. I think they already modified the noseband strap to fit the proper length over the crown.

Their halters run true to size. I had them make me a black halter 3/4" with silver buckles ... it looks really sharp.

Their shipping is steep, but if you can get your barnmates or friends to go in with you, (or just order a lot !!) its a lot more economical.

Just sent my order in! Got a brown padded bridle w/ buckle ends and requested the noseband piece go over the crown (added a picture and 15% just in case). Also got the Super Grip reins with buckle ends, a halter with rolled throat & snap, and leather lead; I requested that braided ends be added to the ends of the lead (like the one Nunn Finer has, added a picture and 15% again). A barn friend ordered the "Jockey" stirrup leathers that look exactly like my ADT leathers but 1/3 the cost! Split shipping with her so I think it will work out well! Thanks for all of your help, can't wait to get my stuff in the mail

I finally got my bridle and I love it! I tried it on my guy and the noseband only tightens to the second hole. That's fine for now, but if I ride horses with bigger heads in the future, it won't work out so well. Does anyone know if the bridle, and the noseband in particular, will stretch much with oiling and use? The oversize noseband is significantly larger and would be on the smallest hole; if it DID end up stretching I would be up a creek. Thanks!