The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Critique? - **UPDATE from show today - post 18**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4GV...el_video_title

Can you guys please critique this video? Just a few clips of me and my QH gelding jumping around some 2'6 - 3 ft courses yesterday. I am aware that I chipped in a few times, my upper body pumps a little, and my leg is not completely underneath me over all of the jumps.

I thought I might get a few more tips before we show in the local circuit season opener next weekend

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by olivertwist96; Feb. 25, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Professional hunter princess

My impression of you is that you are a very natural, soft rider with a good eye.

They biggest flaw that stuck out to me was, like you said, your upper body. I like your half seat but would like to see you sit up a bit more. You can do this by thinking about tucking your butt underneath of you and tightening your abs. When you engage your core your position will improve and will be able to balance your horse much more effectively. This is especially important on a QH who is heavy on his front end (as most are). When you rock him back I think you will find yourself chipping less.

First, props for posting a critique. People on here have been kind of vicious lately

I love your horse. He seems like an honest guy. I thought you kept a nice rhythym throughout.

For you, I would work on your core strength (back and abs) and remembering to sit up and back. That super forward position you're in with a slightly roached back is not a good one to be in (ask me how I know!) if your horse stops at a jump.

Also, I wouldn't say your upper body pumps so much as your whole upper body moves from your butt up. What you should focus on is keeping the upper body still and letting the movement come from your pelvis. You did seem a little locked through the hips, which I think might be helped by simply sitting back a bit, thinking about keeping those shoulder blades down/chest up (whichever imagery works best for you. Boobs to the sky! is what I always remember, lol) and core tight.

Love the horse, honest, tidy, he hunts, and he is perfect for you right now.

I am assuming you are a young rider, so now is the time to fix things before they become a bigger, harder to fix problem(s) down the road.

As you stated, you pump... a lot. Part of the cause, I believe is because you are not using your leg until a stride before the fence. Use you leg and your seat to help dictate pace if you feel he is sluggish or falling behind your leg, which he is not. You can maintain contact with your leg without asking for anything.

Let the horse jump, you are not making a huge jump but you are jumping for him, don't, let his jump open and close you over a fence. I would probably never happen on this horse, but on a cheeky horse, you make a great lawn dart getting in front of your horse the way you are currently.

Not sure if you trainer had you grabbing mane lately, but need to stop resting on the horses neck on the landing side, again, this goes back to letting the horses jump open and close you, and again a cheeky horse that decides to make a quick turn after a fence or stop in a combination, or even a misstep, will have you eating turf if you are stuck on the horses neck a stride after the fence.

At one point in the video it looked as if he was drifting outside a little and you made an adjustment with your hand. This is why the leg is so important, with contact you could have moved him subtly to the center of the fence without it being noticeable, and without interrupting pace etc.

All of that being said, I see tons of potential. Once you straighten out the few issues mentioned I could see you being a very refined, subtle, and effective rider. I could definitely see you being an excellent eq. prospect.

Keep working hard, and good luck!

First I love your horse! He seems like such a good guy!

I do similar things when I ride and more so when I get too far forward. I think you're doing a great job though and I don't think I can give and better advice than the people who have posted before me.

You are soft and once you get stronger staying more upright wont be as hard. Maybe try some core work sans horse

Ps- what song did you use for your video? I like it!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

The two main things I saw have already been mentioned: the pumping, and your delayed straightening after the fence. You've gotten some great ideas so far, but I wanted to add one thing in regards to your position after you jump:

EYES UP!!
    It sounds silly in this context: yes, our coaches always say eyes up going into the fence, but it's also very important through the jump and on the landing side. Something as easy as keeping your eye focused up can drastically change your landing position. I think you'll find this will help you a lot.

Best of luck, and kudos for wanting to improve your position.

Quote Originally Posted by hequestrian View Post

Ps- what song did you use for your video? I like it!
    The song is called Waste by Foster the People.

Thank you all so much for all of the suggestions thus far!

I agree with everyone posted above, and have nothing to add, but I just wanted to say that your horse is gorgeous and you ride him well!
    a horseless canuck...

Quote Originally Posted by olivertwist96 View Post
    The song is called Waste by Foster the People.

Thank you all so much for all of the suggestions thus far!
    That explains why I like it so much. I like most of the stuff by FTP that I have heard.

I think if you used the corners a bit more he'd really set up nice too...

Aka ask for straight into the corner then half halt, then outside rein to turn, with inside leg to bend.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

It sort of looks like your saddle is affecting your balance and position- it looks a little too small for you. I'm wondering if that has a lot to do with it.

Any chance of riding in another saddle to see if that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by equidae View Post
    It sort of looks like your saddle is affecting your balance and position- it looks a little too small for you. I'm wondering if that has a lot to do with it.

Any chance of riding in another saddle to see if that helps?
    It is too small for me..

I've been trying to sell it so I can get a new one, but with no luck.

I have occasionally been riding in my trainer's saddle but it has a really deep seat that was not very comfortable for me.

Therefore, getting a new saddle has been pushed to the back burner until this summer when I will have some money from a job and can buy a new one that fits me.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    I think if you used the corners a bit more he'd really set up nice too...

Aka ask for straight into the corner then half halt, then outside rein to turn, with inside leg to bend.
    I usually try to do this, but the ends of the ring were pretty wet. We got 1.5" of rain in only a few hours

Love your horse.. Love QHs !

You seem like you enjoy what you're doing which is the most important thing! Keep it up

Oh my, OP, your horse is a cutie! I love him! What stands out to me as the root of some of the other little imperfections is your leg. You appear to pinch with your knee, which allows/causes your lower leg and upper body to swing back and forth (the pumping thing) with every stride. Then, 1 stride before the jump, you clamp (almost gouge) with your lower leg. Relaxing through your hip and knee and really sinking your weight down into your heels will help, as would work without stirrups, keeping your mind on NOT grabbing with your knee.
    If you can dispense with using your knee as a pivot point your position will be more correct, but more importantly you will give your horse a smoother, softer ride.
    You two are a lovely pair. Keep enjoying each other!
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Nice job overall.

Shorten your stirrup at 1-2 holes [for jumping], your knee angle is too open, you are reaching for your stirrup over the fence.

Your reins look a tad on the short side, your arm gets a tad straight and making it stiff, lengthen 1-2 "laces" and let your elbow "absorb" that and allow your connection to be more fluid, not so forced.

Keep your pace consistent, don't get anxious for the distance, let it ride and as another poster mention, use your ring effectively, gives you more real estate which gives you time to see the "distance".

Love your horse!! Good luck this season!
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Quote Originally Posted by Hauwse View Post
    Love the horse, honest, tidy, he hunts, and he is perfect for you right now.

I am assuming you are a young rider, so now is the time to fix things before they become a bigger, harder to fix problem(s) down the road.

As you stated, you pump... a lot. Part of the cause, I believe is because you are not using your leg until a stride before the fence. Use you leg and your seat to help dictate pace if you feel he is sluggish or falling behind your leg, which he is not. You can maintain contact with your leg without asking for anything.

Let the horse jump, you are not making a huge jump but you are jumping for him, don't, let his jump open and close you over a fence. I would probably never happen on this horse, but on a cheeky horse, you make a great lawn dart getting in front of your horse the way you are currently.

Not sure if you trainer had you grabbing mane lately, but need to stop resting on the horses neck on the landing side, again, this goes back to letting the horses jump open and close you, and again a cheeky horse that decides to make a quick turn after a fence or stop in a combination, or even a misstep, will have you eating turf if you are stuck on the horses neck a stride after the fence.

At one point in the video it looked as if he was drifting outside a little and you made an adjustment with your hand. This is why the leg is so important, with contact you could have moved him subtly to the center of the fence without it being noticeable, and without interrupting pace etc.

All of that being said, I see tons of potential. Once you straighten out the few issues mentioned I could see you being a very refined, subtle, and effective rider. I could definitely see you being an excellent eq. prospect.

Keep working hard, and good luck!
    I second all of this. Nice job, and cute horse!

Default Video from show today!

Here is a video from the show today! I thought some of you guys might enjoy seeing it. We got second place. Critique horse and rider if you wish!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sdn-...el_video_title

Well done! Such a nice round. Keep bringing us such great video clips!

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Great job! Congrats! I seriously love your horse!