The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Okay recently, I have developed two huge pet peeves.

1) People posting pictures of them riding their horse with gadgets. ie. draw reins and such... It just bugs me. It would not be something I would want people to know or brag about. Okay, so your horse look good in draw reins, but what do they look like without them...grr

2) People calling chaps...assless chaps! ALL full chaps are assless or if they were assfull they would be leather pants...grr

Okay, so what are your big pet peeves?!?!?

O and people not editing their posts...I am guilty of making errors, but I try to go back and fix major ones.

Okay recently, I have developed two huge pet peeves.

1) People posting pictures of them riding their horse with gadgets. ie. draw reins and such... It just bugs me. It would not be something I would want people to know or brag about. Okay, so your horse look good in draw reins, but what do they look like without them...grr

2) People calling chaps...assless chaps! ALL full chaps are assless or if they were assfull they would be leather pants...grr

Okay, so what are your big pet peeves?!?!?

O and people not editing their posts...I am guilty of making errors, but I try to go back and fix major ones.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My biggest pet peeve? People assume that because I'm a junior I don't know anything about what I'm doing. I can understand their line of thinking: that because I don't have the age, I don't have the experience, and I appreciate it when they try to help. But it gets old when people completely disregard what I say because I'm "just a kid." I might as well be the assistant barn manager for our farm, and some of the older horsewomen regularly ask me for opinions in the trainer's absence- wound care, blanketing, turnout, what the heck is that on his back?, "does this look all right to you", that kind of stuff. No, I'm not as experienced as a lot of other people, but I'm not completely clueless either. I'm not saying that I think that all juniors should be trusted to know what they're talking about (or to say that they don't know if they don't) but I would appreciate it if people would give us the benefit of the doubt long enough to figure out which of us know what we're doing, and which don't. Just like when they're dealing with adults.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

My biggest, hugest pet peeve is when no one cleans up after their horse and themselves in the grooming area, wash stall and aisle. GRRR http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif Why can't you just clean up when your horse/pony poops. My seven year old runs for the shovel when her pony is in mid pooping. She even complains about how people are rude and leave it.

It drives me batty when people post or say that their horse is 'out of' such and such stallion or 'by' such and such mare. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/dead.gif Doubly so if they are discussing their horse's bloodlines because they want to breed.

BY a stallion. OUT OF a mare. Not hard to understand. The foal comes OUT OF the mare! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

My biggest pet peeves equine related?
    1) Dirty barns and paddocks. Don't leave the barn filthy because it's 'just a barn.' Decobweb, sweep up, etc. And if you don't have massive pastures, pick the poop out. It drives me nucking futs to see paddocks personally or pictures posted online of horses in smaller sized turnouts that have giant old piles of manure everywhere. Wormer is more effective if you're not feeding your horses' turnout hay on top of crap. Blech
    2) Lack of vet care when needed. I can understand not calling the vet for every sneeze or every scrape. But a more serious illness or injury and avoiding calling the vet as long as possible hoping it'll clear up on it's own irks me. Especially if the same owner is also raving about a new show jacket or something. Return the jacket, call the vet if you can't afford the vet.

On Bulletin Boards:
    1) Posting photos of horses or riders or sales photos that aren't yours and critiquing them or making fun of them.
    2) Coming off holier than thou in advice on riding when the extent of that person's "expertise" is in reading and not doing. Don't copy and paste wording from the old masters' books and try to pass it off as your own pearls of wisdom. Many of us have read the books, it just makes the person posting look dumb as a box of hair. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Little things irk me:

Show Bows
    Martingales without stoppers
    Unproper turnout
    Sloppy/messy people!

....and a million more things but those are on the top!
    -Kendra
    *Every horse, at least once in their life, deserves to be loved by a little girl*

#1 Pet Peeve -- Poor sportsmanship at shows. Especially among younger juniors. They really need to learn early on that its ok to loose. And really-- no need to blame it on bad judging. No one wants to hear it.

#2 Pet Peeve--Dirty buckets in stalls. How would you like to drink water out of a slimey gross glass? Yuk!
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

Yucky water troughs http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/dead.gif

Dissing my horses because they have dished heads and flaggy tails.

Trying to take advantage of/disregard me because I *look* like a junior.

Leaving halters on babies way too long (uh, yearlings should be catch-able, yes?). Or just leaving halters on ALL THE TIME, no matter the age.

Breeding. Without. A purpose. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif

People who think helmets are uncool/silly/sissy/prissy/whatever and therefore make fun of people who wear them. Ditto riding English, body clipping, bringing a horse back into shape slowly instead of just throwing a saddle on and going on a four hour trail ride after all winter/summer/three years/whatever off, etc etc.

People who flame horse owners who blanket. Um, if we did everything the way nature intended, we wouldn't be RIDING horses. Or floating their teeth. And you wouldn't be wearing that nice pair of birkenstocks either.

Biggest pet peeve?? People who have a horse get away from them, or can't catch for whatever reason, and then catch the horse and beat it. ARRGH! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

When people touch my things. I can't stand that. Everything has it's own place and way of being kept. Also, well it kind of makes me laugh too, when people think that because I've only been around horses for -2.5 years, I know nothing. Just because I ride better than you, and train better than you and you're jealous...doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. :P

The assumption that just because we are an ammy, we can't ride. Being an ammy doesn't mean we are BAD, it just means we don't make our living riding!

MY biggest horse pet peeve in the whole entire world are the FAT, THICK, 10 FOOT LONG LEAD ROPES. NO ONE NEEDS THEM--EVER!!!! Not to mention that they are extremely dangerous and that horses could get tangled in them and they are difficult to manage. I despise using any lead rope longer than say....4 feet. Deal with it.

Oh and when people tie horses to unstationary objects...just plain stupid.

Horse related:

People who spend major cash for a horse and never take the time to get to know him or her. Just wanted to look good in the ring and win.

Bulletin board related:

People who ask for advice and when they get advice they don't want to hear, they pout. On the other hand, I can't stand people can't take the time to read their post before hitting "post now". Maybe if they did, they'd realize how rude, obnoxious and holier-than-thou they appear.

My pet peeves (some of these were already mentioned):

1. Dirty water buckets AND dirty feed buckets
    2. Allowing stalls to get that HUGE hole in the middle so the horses are standing in a ditch
    3. Tiny little paddocks with 3 feet of manure in them
    4. People who don't pick up after themselves (manure or whatever)
    5. Parents who let their younger kids run crazy through the barn area, or in the arena while you are trying to ride
    6. Boarders who NEVER come see their horse, and then bitch about everything the one time they show up
    7. BNT's who jump a jump, then rip the horse's face off, back it up 90 miles an hour, then do it over and over and over again ...
    8. People who make fun of other people's horses, or call other horses "crap" just because the owner didn't (or couldn't) pay $50K or more
    9. Trainers who let their school horses continue lessons when they are visably lame
    10. Short stirrup kids using draw reins

I'll stop there, I'm pretty anal so I have quite a few.

Oooh, ditto the lame lesson horse thing. It makes me cringe, especially all the old saint schoolies who are like, 300 years old http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

I Have quite a few but Ill be brief.
    1) "Is that a pony?"..."yes"..."So he's a young one then huh" No matter how you explain it the connection just isn't there
    2) I have to agree with the no stoppers on martingales, and reins for that matter. Its just scary.
    3) People that buy nice horses and dont ride then they expect, or their parents expect, to win everything! can you say practice...
    4) When people use my stuff! thats not yours, hands off...it happens a ton. Even more to my poor trainer. Someone used her bridle and the horse chewed through her edgewood reins, and they put an old set of CHEAP reins out of the riding school tack on the bridle.
    5) When people leave their horses alone in the asile when the barn is busy causing a traffic jam worse than morning rush hour.

Ok so I wasnt that breif. oops.

1. People who don't pick up after themselves. I once saw a girl get out a shovel and move the pile of crap out of her way, but not pick it up. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

2. People who use my things w/out asking. Especially when they don't have the sense to put it back where they found it.

3. Kids (little and teenagers) running, screaming, yelling, jumping, and wrestling in the aisles. Sometimes I wish my horse was a spook.

4. People who smoke while on their horse. No one currently at the barn does it, but I've seen it done.

5. People who beat their horse for everything and think it is an effective training method.

6. Trainers who yak on their cell while they're supposed to be teaching you.

7. People calling other peoples' horses pieces of crap.

8. People assuming you can't ride as well if you don't go to "A" shows. I would love to go to "A" shows. Can't afford it. Someday...

9. People who don't clean their horses. They pick their feet once in awhile and maybe brush them off. I think for some, a curry is unheard of.

10. People who ride, jump, and show their visibally very lame horses. They buy lots of new stuff. But they can't afford the vet.

On the BB:
    Posting/writing something like "pictures of [insert horse's name] and I". Not proper English. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

People who have running conversations with their horse in such a way intended to teach the horse what they want. Example: person walking down the aisle and horse tries to drag owner towards grain dished out for dinner. Instead of a good yank and a strong, stern, "NO", they have a 10 minute discussion, all said in the same tone of voice, about why it isn't fair for the horse to do that to the person, all the while the horse is relishing the mouthfulls it picked up here and there.

Also, slimey waterbuckets, tack not put away neatly (especially bridle folding!) and mismatched colors when riding. I mean, whatever if your shirt doesn't match your polos or whatnot, but I mean really. Must you pair your orange and pink polos together and then ride in a green and purple plaid saddle pad?

Oh, and people who leave their tack boxes wide open while riding (they are in the aisle in my barn) while I am cleaning stalls. 9 times out of 10 I finish before you return, and I want to blow the aisle! The leaf blower will not selectively keep dust out of your box, and I don't want to be responsible for blowing stuff out of your box, however when you leave it open and stuff piled everywhere, it makes it difficult to close it over for fear I will accidentally break something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Noodle:
    1. People who don't pick up after themselves. I once saw a girl get out a shovel and move the pile of crap out of her way, but not pick it up. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG, I forgot...had a teenaged boarder pick up her horse's crap from the barn aisle and THROW IT IN A STALL. Not her stall either. My farrier saw her do it.

Forget another big peeve. Drugging to ride, whether tranqs or bute, without knowing why the horse was the way it was. "Oh, Blaze looks off. Where's the bute?" http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl