The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Search for the perfect flysheet

I'm looking for a fly sheet that covers body & neck.

Sheets that aren't "wug" style tend to rub my horse's withers & mane. So I don't want a traditional sheet + a hood.

She's turned out alone, so I'm not worried about horses biting at her sheets. But she does roll - a lot.

Does anyone have experience with the Rambo Dustbuster Plus? Does it stay put, or would it get all twisted up when a horse has a good roll?

Or give me other suggestions!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rambo%C...6/#ProductTabs
    Last edited by retrofit; Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I had one in the past but did not use it for turnout - mostly just for keeping clean at shows or as a lightweight cooler, like a bathrobe. It didn't seem that durable to me, like the cottony weave of the fabric would be prone to catching on things. It also was too heavy for use as a fly sheet for my horse as he tended to get too warm in most anything and that made him itchy, which resulted in rolling, scratching, biting, which destroyed clothing quickly. I sold mine a long time ago as I no longer needed it (big horse retired).

Thanks, horsepoor. Looks like I'll need to find something else then.

Any suggestions for a fly sheet that doesn't rub withers?

Any experience with this one from Schneiders?

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...mbo-fly-sheet/

I think you edited your post while in was replying but my post is referring to the dustbuster. I should also post the caveat that I haven't purchased a new one in 4 years ( I have 4) so there is always the chance the quality not as good, but with Rambo they usually only do that with a name change (rhinos not included).

All of my horses have one and wear them on turn out (ranging from 6 hrs to 24/7. I have had one rip in six years (horses always turned out together). Hole is about 4" and caused by the horse getting out galloping onto asphalt and falling! In the same time I had 3 winter blankets demolished by my rippers.... Grrr. I also had one zipper blow after 3 years (they no longer sell the zipper version). They have the shiniest dark coats from the sheets it's actually my trick for making a shaved horse look super slick in about a week (I have one I shave year round in OK). Then I use them through the end of show season which means putting it on under blankets.

The bad thing I would say about them is they matt down the mane so if you don't make sure you have them mane on one side of the neck then the next day will result in a very bad hair day they also seem to get dandruffy and need a mane wash once a month. I really hate seeing drandruff so others might not be so bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    Any experience with this one from Schneiders?

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...mbo-fly-sheet/
    Yes, I had that exact on and my boy went through it in three months. He's not hard on his blankets either (at least not anymore...).

I know it's not what you want but as an owner of two geldings with severe sweet itch, I always just go with this one and the neck cover.
    Last edited by besttwtbever; Feb. 20, 2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: awkward grammar
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for your insight, flyracing. Do you find that the Dustbuster makes your horses hot in the summer? Does it relieve pressure on the neck & withers? And I'm assuming it doesn't twist around when your horses roll?

I wish I could compare/contrast in person. I mean I guess I could, but there would be a lot of shipping costs involved.

A question for fly sheet users. In turnout, do the horses ever have an issue with a regular fly or a horse fly getting caught up underneath the sheet and become trapped? I've used scrim sheets at shows when the horse was tied to the trailer and the normally saintly horse came unglued with the horse fly trapped in there.

I use the schneider's duramesh on my mare. Unfortunately, it is a sheet w/ neck (which you said you don't like). You could try a turtleneck flysheet. They don't fit like a normal blanket at all- it might work for you. I love the design of them in theory- in actuality, they rubbed out gigantic sections of mane on all of the horses I tried them on (three).

One thing on the DustBuster - when I had mine, that was YEARS ago so if they are still being made (are they?), the design and fabric might be different.

On other sheets, I did have the Turtleneck one mentioned above and like it, but had to order up a lot to fit. The neck opening and shoulder on the size my horse wore in his other Tneck blankets was way too small in the fly sheet. And I still thought it rubbed a bit at the top of the wither.

One of my favorite fly sheets is the Bucas full coverage one (has built in hood and belly cover). Seems to have worked well for my guys, but can get a little warm. I don't know that I have found the perfect one yet!

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    A question for fly sheet users. In turnout, do the horses ever have an issue with a regular fly or a horse fly getting caught up underneath the sheet and become trapped? I've used scrim sheets at shows when the horse was tied to the trailer and the normally saintly horse came unglued with the horse fly trapped in there.
    Sadly yes and that is why I won't use them when the big bugs are out (deer flies, horse flies, etc.). My two TB's only wear fly sheets when the mosquitos and regular flies are out (dusk to dawn). My 31 year old TB almost lost his head years ago when a bug got stuck under his sheet and he is the most stoic TB's you could ever meet (nothing like seeing your horse throw himself on the ground trying to get rid of it). That was enough for me - NO more fly sheets when there is the possibility of something getting stuck/trapped under it.

I hear people say all the time that they've never seen a bug get trapped but if you look closely at the sheets, you most likely will see small bloody spots - remnants of a trapped bug.

My old guy does wear a Rambo dustbuster flysheet at night and I just bought one for my mare for nightime use also - they are out 24/7 and the mosquitos can be downright nasty at dusk/dawn and the dustbuster really does stop them from biting. The thing I like about the dustbuster is that the weave is so small it's hard for mosquitos and regular flies to get through. I wouldn't use them during the day though just because they can get super hot under them.

Last edited by ryansgirl; Feb. 20, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I actually have the Schneider's Dura Mesh sheet, and I use it in the late summer & early fall when the large biting insects are out. It does a great job of protecting against those B-52s. But it's heavy and it rubs the crap out of my mare, so I don't want to use it all season.

I'd like something lighter for late spring & summer use, to help with smaller insects & protect against fading. She's not out 24x7 but they go out around 3 PM in the summer so the workers can get done by 5. (I board - no choice.)

I'll investigate those turtlenecks. I wish there was a Blanket Depot where you could get your hands on all this stuff! It's always such a tough choice.