The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Goats - False Pregnancy?

The doe (?) was with the ram (?) for about a week. (sorry don't know the correct goat terms).

We boarders have assumed she is pregnant - but seemingly now over due.

Her belly is fatter and her udder is now really full.

That can happen with false pregnancy? Doe is a small pygmy cross. TIA.

Doe and buck.

If her udder is full, she should be close. Have you checked her tail ligaments? It's really easy to do. You just run your fingers (thumb on one side, fingers on the other) a half inch away from her spine near her tail. If you can almost fit your fingers around her spine, she should go within 24 hours.

Here's a link with a picture of where the ligaments are: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/prenatalcare.html#ligaments

How do you know that she's overdue? Has it been 150 days since she was bred?

May - thanks.

Well I guess a goat/sheep cross might just have a longer gestation time!!!

I was so tired when I typed last night - realized later the intact male is of course a buck.

We cannot remember when she was exposed to the buck. I thought it was in the summer. Someone else thinks October.

But we are all now thinking she might not be pregnant after all.

But.....her belly is much larger than it usually is. Her udders are full. Can a false pregnancy show both? belly and udders? Tks. Will look at the info you provided.

It happens. I refer to our brood does all the time as 'broodmares'. lol

There's no guarantee that she's pregnant, because if she isn't in with the buck while she's in heat, she won't take. Although I've heard of false pregnancies, I myself haven't seen one.

Are her udders full (Sometimes the teats will almost point sideways instead of straight down and look 'shiny'), or just big? One of my does gets a big udder for a few weeks before she'll actually go--and the doe that just kidded hardly had one until two days before. They can be so different sometimes!

If she's more pygmy/dwarf type, I hope someone can be there when/if she kids. They often times need a little assistance getting the kids out. One of the kids I delivered last Friday was stuck in the cervix, and the next one came out head first. They were easy fixes, but the babies weren't going anywhere if the doe hadn't had help!

A "cloudburst" pregnancy will indeed mimic a normal one, and the doe will pass a great amount of fluid after laboring.

Otherwise, your doe just might be taking your time. Make sure you read fiascofarm's website over and over, good stuff there.

Otherwise, chances are, you'll come outside and find some kids, as long as she doesn't have any trouble.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabs View Post
    May - thanks.

Well I guess a goat/sheep cross might just have a longer gestation time!!!

I was so tired when I typed last night - realized later the intact male is of course a buck.

We cannot remember when she was exposed to the buck. I thought it was in the summer. Someone else thinks October.

But we are all now thinking she might not be pregnant after all.

But.....her belly is much larger than it usually is. Her udders are full. Can a false pregnancy show both? belly and udders? Tks. Will look at the info you provided.
    I used to raise pygmy/nigerian goat crosses and also had suffolk sheep. The suffolk ram lamb tried to breed a goat, and she did have a false pregnancy. Bottom line is a sheep and goat do not interbreed, or if they do, very rare.

If it was a goat male "buck" then it takes 5 months or so. If it was a sheep male "ram" breeding a goat, then probably not preggers.

The baby arrived on Friday. I was at barn on Sunday. Baby very healthy.
    Mom was by then having udder troubles. Was taken to the vet on Monday.
    Given meds - I think antibiotics. Udder problems mean mastitis? Usually bacterial? Reason I ask - if bacterial - strep or staph - whatever - contagious to humans? I am immune deficient - in fact just got home from clinic to receive IVIG - ie donated antibodies. Sunday at the barn one gal milked the momma and later I handled the baby and carefully syringed the milk into his mouth.
    Of course got it on my hands. While milking momma I could see white milk and a fluid I assume was colostrum? I was thinking - geez - I could use some of that myself. Anyway, the baby got some and he is strong and healthy. If momma has/had a bacterial infection the milk was/is ok for the baby? I guess the vet could have given her antibiotics just in case was bacterial mastitis? Just please re-assure me none of any possible bad bugs could have been passed on to me. How I would explain that to my immunologist I would not know.

Sadly I don't know for sure - I would REALLY recommend heading over to dairygoatinfo.com and using their forum. I see you're practically a neighbor - there are several big time breeders in our area who frequent that forum (one is the admin) and they have an amazing amount of knowledge and can help you better than I

Good luck!!
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website