The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wow! If I could learn to crochet, maybe I could make these! What pattern did you use?

I made up my own pattern. Thanks.

Wow, great job.

Default These look great!

I really like the knit spacing ("Looseness") of the second one. Good Luck with your future knitting endeavors!

Correction! *** Sorry about using the wrong terminology - I thought Knitting and crocheting were the same thing! Don't worry, I have been appropriately reprimanded and corrected!***
    Last edited by LoveJubal; Feb. 29, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks guys.

Those are gorgeous! Your pictures inspired me so much that I bought a nice-looking pattern with lots of instructions for $5 and am going to give it a go. For those who are interested, I found it on Etsy and it calls for crocheted ears. I think at least to start with I'll be doing those in light cotton fabric.

Question- what type of yarn did you use? I'm going to venture to the local craft store this afternoon, but I have a feeling that natural fiber yarn (cotton, wool, or bamboo) is going to be hard to find in the "plain" colors I'd like to crochet.

I'll probably pick up some cheap acrylic to at least make my first ugly ones (or at least I'm anticipating they won't look too professional since my yarn-work to date is pretty horrendous), but I was wondering what materials you feel safe putting on your horse regularly.

Nice work!

There are several companies out that that make and sell really nice, polished fly bonnets.

You could even try contacting one of them and see if they would employ you!

Check out: https://www.facebook.com/DeLaCoeurEquestrian

Quote Originally Posted by baref00t View Post
    Those are gorgeous! Your pictures inspired me so much that I bought a nice-looking pattern with lots of instructions for $5 and am going to give it a go. For those who are interested, I found it on Etsy and it calls for crocheted ears. I think at least to start with I'll be doing those in light cotton fabric.

Question- what type of yarn did you use? I'm going to venture to the local craft store this afternoon, but I have a feeling that natural fiber yarn (cotton, wool, or bamboo) is going to be hard to find in the "plain" colors I'd like to crochet.

I'll probably pick up some cheap acrylic to at least make my first ugly ones (or at least I'm anticipating they won't look too professional since my yarn-work to date is pretty horrendous), but I was wondering what materials you feel safe putting on your horse regularly.
    Whatever yarn is cheapest (but still thin) is good for practicing.

When you think you're good enough to actually give the "expensive" stuff a go, you will want 100% mercerized cotton yarn. The kind I use is about the weight of three strands of embroidery floss. It's unlikely you'll be able to find it at a one of the big box craft stores, but a small local shop that caters to crochet should have lots of choices.

Keep in mind that crochet is really easy to undo (as long as you don't cut anything!), so if you can't find anything that suits you, buying something expensive to practice with is still okay. The yarn gets more "worn" or "broken in" if you crochet and undo it over and over again, but it will still look decent as a finished product.

Fabric ears are generally preferable to crocheted ones. I use stretch spandex because it gives a really tailored look without specific measurements, but cotton is fine as well, and easier to find in a variety of colours.

Default I've got a question...

How are the rhinestones and crystals attached to the veils and bonnets? I think they look super cool and if I ever got up the nerve to pay for one of these, it would have to blingy

Are they actually crocheted into the bonnet?
    Are they glued on?
    Or, are they attached some other way?

Thanks, I am not crafty at all, so I don't know anything about these things!!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJubal View Post
    How are the rhinestones and crystals attached to the veils and bonnets? I think they look super cool and if I ever got up the nerve to pay for one of these, it would have to blingy

Are they actually crocheted into the bonnet?
    Are they glued on?
    Or, are they attached some other way?

Thanks, I am not crafty at all, so I don't know anything about these things!!
    They are hand sewn on after all the crocheting is finished

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../401156130.jpg[/QUOTE]

Wow !!!! I've been willing to crochet one for such a long time... I should get to it! If you were kind enough to write down the pattern for the 2nd bonnet it would be sooooo helpful!