The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My 2nd Attempt at Making Custom Fly Bonnets! *Added New Bonnet*

This is my second attempt at making fly bonnets. I love the color and look of them. I like the shape of them. I still have to work on even tension in my crocheting (never crocheted before trying to make these!) as it can get a bit wave-y at the bottom sometimes. The ears are also tough. Need a sewing machine!! But it's slowly coming along. Here's some pics

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../401137236.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../401137235.jpg

Sorry bout the evil eyes! Dumb flash!

Here is the new one I finished! I originally bought this purple to be used only as trim, but I didn't have any 'base' colors left and wanted to keep practicing so used it anyways. Tried a different stitch on it. I also did grey ears on it, which I really like. This one looked quite elegant (cept poot Elis is a boy so he felt a bit embarrassed! Turned out so much better than I thought!!
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../401155868.jpg
    THe colors don't show up as well on the pic as they are in true life, it's really quite nice!

Another pic of 2nd bonnet
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../401156130.jpg
    Last edited by ElisLove; Feb. 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Lookin good!
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Great job
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Awesome job!

Wow. Nicely done.

I think it looks really good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    This is my second attempt at making fly bonnets. I love the color and look of them. I like the shape of them. I still have to work on even tension in my crocheting (never crocheted before trying to make these!) as it can get a bit wave-y at the bottom sometimes. The ears are also tough. Need a sewing machine!! But it's slowly coming along. Here's some pics
    you've never crocheted before? wow, you'd certainly never know -- looks great!!!
    Atlas: Jag älskar min häst!

"Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning."

I think it looks really good, however, it looks really hot. I probably would not buy it because I would want something less dense with crochet style holes and more air-cooled, and which might bounce around more. But it is neat and tidy and a lovely shape.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

As far as AnotherRound's post, try going up a hook size...or 2. I think it looks lovely, but I can see AR's point, especially for summer.

What are your plans for marketing/sales? I'd love one when you're ready to start selling assuming it doesn't have the tie around the throatlatch. My gelding had the throatlatch of a cribber yet, he doesn't crib.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Love it

Looks great! I'm hoping to try making some later this summer, if I can ever work out the pommel pad I'm making. Crochet is hard!

Thanks guys. Once I get good enough to sell them I might start off by making a bunch and bringing them to horse shows and just having them with me to sell, then if people want custom I can go from there.

I really like the shape and color too. Wow, would never know you've not crocheted before! Great job!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I have also tried my hand at crocheting fly bonnets. Did you use a pattern for yours or did you make it up as you went along.
    I've had so much trouble with working the ears, how do you measure to fit them? I fit one for a large holsteiner that I was riding, but the ears are way too big on any other horse (especially tbs). I'm thinking about trying to crochet some ears on one I'm making now, instead of fabric.
    (I'll edit later with some pictures )
    I would love to swap notes with you, I found two nice patterns that I worked on translating from German.

What a great idea. I would also buy one if they were less dense.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Thanks guys. I made it the 'denseness' I made it as I really like the look of the sanswill bonnets and a number of them look to be of the same denseness. I since made one in a different stitch that is more airy and looks nice but I think I still prefer the more dense stitch but I haven't put ears on it yet and tried it on so I might change my mind once I see it on.
    I just made my own pattern up as I went. I took off the ear piece of a bonnet I already had, saw how it looked to be done, tried it and it worked. It's all one piece with no seams.

I can't see the top-back of it, but most of the custom jumper ones do not have a tie at the throat. They go back far enough that theysit completely under the head stall and are held on that way.

Try to get up close to a really good custom one at a show to see how far back over the poll the ear bonnet goes .
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Mine does not tie around the throat latch, the crown piece of the bridle holds it on.

I would love to buy a few once your ready to sell escpecially if there's no throat latch!

Thanks, Not sure when I will be good enough to sell but will let you know. Ya I chop the throatlatch piece off my store bought bonnets so I certainly wasn't putting them on my custom ones I make!!