The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What rate/type of tire do you use on your big goosneck trailers?

What type of trailer tire do you use for a big, heavy goosneck horse trailer that runs 235/85/16 ?
    Do you use an LT (light truck) tire or an ST (trailer) tire? I can't find an ST with speed range over 65mph. The LT can of course be pulled at faster speeds without as much heat build up but is said to not be stiff enough in the sidewalls.
    How about load range? G-rated?
    Brand? I've read on the net that some Goodyear tires have been having problems.
    Last edited by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians; Feb. 19, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I don't fool with ST tires in the 16" size, LT tires are superior in every way. For that matter, I don't mess with 15" ST tires if I can find an LT that will fit.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

That's what I was told today. Some web sites say to never use an LT, always an ST due to the stiffer sidewalls on the tires. I never knew until today that the ST has a speed range of no greater than 65mph. Come one, we all creep up over that I know. No wonder I hear about so many blowouts.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Stay away from st/trailer tires, they're JUNK........Stick with LT tires with an E rating or better.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

ST rating really only matters for tires in the lighter weight ranges than Load range E. No major manufacturer even makes an ST in E and above anymore.

LT, means "light truck", but that really is the category of commercial trucks smaller than semi's. Not as in light pickup trucks.

I like Michelin XPS ribbed for trailers, in whatever load range you need.

Looks like Goodyear still makes a G rated ST tire.

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tru...rodline=160007

At $300+ per tire, they are not cheap.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

If you notice, those say LT on the sidewall.

The information about ST tires being recommended above everything else on trailers is only found on sites that sell lighter weight trailer parts for boat trailers. It's been on the internet as long as there has been an internet.

Champion Trailer Parts was the first place I saw it years ago. I've done a bit of business with them over the years for boat trailer parts. If you look at their online catalog, I don't think they even sell a Load Range E tire.

In short, it does not apply anymore. A load range E, LT tire has as stiff or stiffer sidewalls than lighter range ST tires.

Load range G tires have a max psi of 110. Load range E's max at 80. If your trailer is heavy enough to need G's, the only place you will be able to fill them to that pressure, unless you have your own compressor-and the little 12volt ones will take all day if they don't burn up, is at a truck stop.

edited to add: I looked on ChampionTrailerParts site just now, and they no longer have the recommendation of only using ST tires. I had recommended to them that they remove it some years ago, because it was confusing people on the forums here to those that thought it also applied to horse trailers. It's probably still floating around somewhere on the net.

I did another Google search, and couldn't find it. Looks like it's been updated everywhere now to proper advice:
    http://www.taskmasterproducts.com/ac...ailertires.pdf