The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Out of my first group of horses, 3 stayed with me until the end: one was 20, another 24, and another 35. The only one I moved on was the donkey. There was simply too much grass for him on the pasture, and he would have had to be dry paddocked, which he would not have liked. He is with a friend of mine, and is now 33 and doing fine.

The horses I have now are looking at staying with me to the end as well. They are both 20.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I do. My Woodrow is 26 now and I've had him 17 years. He has packed my butt all over the mountains for every one of those years and does it willingly. This old guy is still going strong and does not know the word "retired." I adore him and don't know what I'll do without his strong, can-do, I got it Mom, attitude. He and I know each other so well and sometimes I swear he reads my mind. When it's his time, he'll be buried on the property next to my husband's old horse.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

(Raises hand.)

My retired gelding will be with us until the end. My DH won't even let me move him to 24-hour field board farther away, but close enough to visit weekly. DH says he needs to be with us so we can keep an eye on him at all times. I swear DH would throw me out before the horse!!

Now my mare? He hasn't bonded with her as much - yet. That's starting. She's a fancy imported beast and I think my DH would consider selling her if we got a great offer. But I am totally smitten with her!

EDIT: I am convinced my DH would not even accept $100k for the older gelding!!! He even calls his name in his sleep!! :-)
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

2 members found this post helpful.

I've only had my girl for about a year and a half, but at 19 she has a home for life. She has some minor arthritis but we've worked on easing her stiffness and pain and fixed a few other issues she had when I got her. Every day I can ride her is a gift. When she's ready she has a pasture to go to, so she can live peacefully with friends after a life of working for others.

*after her, I'm sponsoring/leasing, since I only want to commit to one forever horse

Not sure why I delayed posting on this thread, but yeah, all of mine have homes for life here with me.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I do. I have an almost 21 yo TB mare that my parents bought me when I was 12 and she was 5. She was my first horse and I will always have her. Her name is VG.

The day we brought VG to the boarding barn, she was stalled next to a QH mare named PeeGee. PeeGee and VG have now been at 4 different barns through the years and are best buds. A few years ago her owner gave her to me, because she was pregnant and wanted to stop paying board on her, and gave me her nice 3 horse Gore slant load aluminum gooseneck trailer as "payment" in exchange for her future expenses. PeeGee is in her mid 20s now and has had navicular since she was like 8. Before that our horses used to show against each other, lol! I will always have both of them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine are with me for life. We've had my retired gelding for almost 13 years and will spend the rest of his life with us (he'll be 25 in February.) My young horse could injure himself and only be pasture sound, but he's staying with me no matter what. He has bounced through enough people and jobs in his life.
    Newbie event rider dreaming of rocking BN with my young OTTB!

Adventures with my Baby TB Blog

1 members found this post helpful.

Me, too. I can't sell any of them. I sold a mare that I had raised from weaning and trained when she was 5. Life circumstances forced the sale. I've wondered about her ever since. I held out for the one person I thought would love her forever, even settling for less than half what I had been offered for her. Hopefully she had a wonderful life.

Now we have my OTTB gelding. I adore him and no one else would want him. After a few years of frequent, unpredictable bucking fits and lots of diagnostic vet work he's been diagnosed with kissing spine. I plan on sending him to Tufts for surgery. If it works, great. If not he'll be my pet for the rest of his life.

Then there's my daughter's 20 year old DWB schoolmaster who is slated for surgery to remove bladder stones next week. He's a very high maintenance guy but we love him to pieces. If any horse has earned a loving retirement, it is him.

Finally there is the old TB mare that my daughter was never able to ride because she is unsound. She's been with us for close to 10 years. Her companion is a blind POA gelding that no one would even take for free on CL. I brought him home. It would be wonderful if I could find a really good home for him but I'm not holding my breath.

Basque (soon to be 24) and Cash (soon to be 20). First horse was also with us until his time came.

My horse Two Snakes will never, ever be for sale. Before he had lameness issues I couldn't go to a show without someone trying to buy him. One show a lady followed my around all day asking for a price. She even stood on the rail while I was warming up and would ask when I rode by. She just couldn't understand when I said no amount of money can make me part with him.

He's for sure a looker. Black and white with lots of flash. He moves great and does it all. So I can see why people want him. I refuse to part with him because he's so good and honest. He truly tries to do what you ask every time. And he's just fun with a ton of personality. He's been in the family for years and will stay with us.

My current horse (he's 10 and I've had him since March) will be with me forever. He's my dream horse. Honest, sweet, a gem...just a heart of gold. And he's gorgeous to boot. We're doing the adult jumpers now, hoping to move up to the Amateurs at some point and then it'll just be as he can do.
    Blogging - cause who doesn't love hearing that someone else is wrestling with the same challenges? If The Saddle Fits

I have 3 for sale, but two that have forever homes with me (and/or other members of their fan clubs)
    Gizmo will be 22 in 2014. I bought him originally as a 7 year old, then bought him back as he was turning 19 after teaching two young riders the ropes of eventing. He's with the woman who was my barn manager when I first bought him and her daughter (all grown up with little ones of her own) keeping them connected to eventing.
    Keebler will be 12 in 2014. He's just moved up to training with his current girl. He has a home for life with me and Deltawave has made him the same offer
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I joke that once a horse comes to my house, they never leave.

Currently I have a 24-year-old who has been here 15 years, a 22-year-old who's been here 20 years, a 20-year-old who's been here 6 years and a 13-year-old who has been here 4 months.

I don't plan on any of them going anywhere anytime soon.

Default Oldies but goodies

I have a retired gentleman of 26 who I have known/ owned since he was a scrappy long two year old. The only place he will be going without me is over the bridge and I am not too happy about that either.

I have a herd! 31yo rescued TWH we've had 11 years. 15yo ISH we've had 8 years (that I should be showing but he's been in field for past 6 years). my ottb homebreds that are 7 & 8, their dam that is 15, a shetland, and 2 mini donks.

Default I do....always have never sell my horses.

I have been so blessed and fortunate to have some amazing show horses that have made my dreams come true in many ways. I have never sold any of the one's I have owned...and wish I could have kept every one I catch rode or leased,but mine have lived out their years with me. Currently I have my 26 year old retired jumper, who took me into the High A/O jumpers and the Mini Prixs...and was a horse of a lifetime for 7 years of showing all over the place...I did my last Washington with him when he was 22...and retired him the following spring. I certainly think people should do what they want but for me, I have kept them all until they have passed away.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Yep. Arabian mare going on 22 years old, has her quirks, but she's the best horse I've ever owned. She will be with me forever. Mostly because nobody would want to see her grumpy face twice a day, give her monthly Pentosan shots just to keep her comfortable, or deal with her recurring ulcer issues that don't need to stay at bay no matter what I do! She's quite a diva! But I love her, and she's mine forever.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I still have my first horse, Luke, and he's not going anywhere. Ever. He's the love of my life, he took care of me in the ring - even when I didn't deserve it, knows all my secrets (main reason why he's not going anywhere ), has been my "therapist" during my divorce, and is just the best horse all around. He's "my guy".
    Last edited by Wallysfolley; Jan. 2, 2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: I can't spell - ha!
    God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses. ~R.B. Cunninghame Graham

My life long dream of having my own horse came true when I bought my boy in 2009. I could never let him go. If I stopped riding tomorrow, I would simply retire him and let him be a pasture ornament.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    My life long dream of having my own horse came true when I bought my boy in 2009. I could never let him go. If I stopped riding tomorrow, I would simply retire him and let him be a pasture ornament.
    That's exactly how I feel about my first horse! I haven't ridden him in nearly a decade, but he's one of my favorite creatures on the planet, and I like having him outside my kitchen window. He's a great listener and advisor on all the world's problems.