The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

I am riding the last horse I shall ever own - not sure if that is the same thing, probably,
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Me, me, me......

To me taking in an animal is a life time commitment.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

2 members found this post helpful.

If you do this long enough, the list of "Forevers" gets to be ever so long.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

My oldest, Spy, was bought at age 10 as a sales project.
    He never sold, partly because no one wanted a 12 you who "needed mileage", and partly because he turned out to have arthritis. But he was leased out for a total of 8 years, taking 2 young girls up through Novice. Then his hip arthritis got worse, and he came home. He is now 31. Aside from being crooked because of his artritis, and not being ridable because he stumbles, he is still going strong at 31. He will be with me to the end.

Next is Music, bought as a long yearling, and now 27. Still sound, still ridable, but with some vision problems. WHile she never excelled at eventing, she is the one I have the closes "bond" with. We read each other's minds. She will be with me to the end.

Belle is 17 (bought as a 5 yo) who is my most talented competition horse, but a bit of a handful. Under the right circumstances, I might lease her, but never sell her.

Tiara is 2, and was bought as a sales project (I need to have a sales project to keep the land in "Agricultural Use"). The plan is to sell her at 4 or 5, but we will see.

I DO have my own farm, so I am not paying board.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Since having my own farm, all my horses are forever horses - even if "forever" isn't very long.

I've had to put down four in the past 9 years - two I took on as "old horse rescues" and they had a great end-of-life home with me. Two had been riding horses who had to be put down too early.

I am leasing out one of my horses, so he's not on my property, but he'll never be for sale and I will be happy to bring him home when the time is right. He's teaching a young girl how to ride and she loves him. I have Mac, who is 8, and hope to have him fit, sound, and happy well into his late years (knock wood!). I just took in a pasture-sound horse who has a suspensory injury so he can't be ridden. He's 16 and we'll be his last home.

I'm thankful that I'm in a position to offer such an opportunity to horses - and I think they're pretty thankful, too!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I have 8 that are with me forever.
    I have never sold, given away, etc a horse, and never will.

I did re-home some kittens and a dog, and all had very bad placements(unbeknownst to me). So, no, just won't do it.

My oldest, Mickey, I bought 26 years ago. The others...all literally off the truck.
    2 PMU foals, now horses. 3 very sorry throw aways at New Holland. One was prego. One canter horse.

I am a bit overwhelmed with them time wise and financially, but I am ok. I have help, and that is huge. They really are my life.
    I don't ride any of them, mostly due to their mental or physical conditions. I have only 2 that are ridable, but I am happy with them being pasture pets, although they do have stalls at night.

I feel good that they have forever homes, and that they are ending their days peacefully when the time comes.
    I could not live with myself really if they ever ended up in bad places. Not good for my mental healthy I am afraid. I am a sucker, and I guess deep down, don't really trust people to do what they say. Things change, and horses are not a priority or even a consideration sometimes.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

2 members found this post helpful.

Me. I picked her out at two, owned her since she was 2 1/2.
    She is my heart horse and worth her weight in gold. She will never be sold as long as I still breathe, and my husband (non-horsey) has instructions to keep her if I stop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	38851  
    You are what you dare.

As long I can control it, any horse I get will have a forever home. Have had 5 in my horse owning years - put two oldsters down and one colic and still have the other two. I don't think I could ever sell a horse. I'd be a wreck.

Oh, hell, I could sell one in a minute if I thought it was the right situation. I'm under no illusions that I'm the best home in the world and there is none like unto me.

I've known plenty of horses who were in the wrong home to really blossom in the right one. Sure, the first owner could've said "Oh, I'm afraid he'll end up in a bad spot" but I know many horses who are glad their unsuited owner did not do that.

Like my neighbor's horse - bought as a first horse for a non-horsey BF. Proceeded to turn handsprings and launch even experienced riders over his head.

Sold to a teenager who took him for swims in the ocean and over huge jumps. We still get pictures. Teenager is now an adult and pregnant with her second, but still jumping like a maniac on this horse. The two of them are well-suited.

Just sayin'. No crime in selling a horse on if you're not suited.

4 members found this post helpful.

Default 3 lifers in my barn. :)

12 year old Friesian, owned for 12 years and would never dream of selling.

20 year old Miniature mare, owned for 20 years, to sell her would be unthinkable.

30 year old Miniature gelding, owned for 17 years and very much part of the family.

These guys are family members, they are here until they croak!

The one I have now will never leave me. Best horse I'll ever own. Maybe the last one, too. I don't know how ANY horse could fill his shoes!

Me...through sickness and in health... for richer for poorer.....and it seems sickness, and poverty as a result of said sickness, are winning out.

Bess has a forever home. I made that promise to her soon after I got her. She's now 22 and has been with me since she was 5. I can certainly see her living another 8-10 years.

Pal is 20 and I have had him for 3.5 years. Between us, his last owner and I will make sure he is well cared for. My issue is that I adore him. However, I have my horses at home and only have room for 2. I'm not sure what will happen when he needs to retire and I need another horse to ride. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, hopefully in at least 5 more years. His former owner has room for 4 at her place. We'll figure it all out when we need to. We won't let him fall through the cracks.

I've got two. That's the reason I bought horse property seven years ago, so I can give my horses a good and last home. One is retired, at age 11, due to lameness issues, so it's going to be long road ahead, but he's great with my grandkids and makes me laugh every day. The other is a finished show horse, and though he's getting a bit creaky with some maintenance issues at 13 I know I won't part with him.

We have 4 horses of various ages and could never bring ourselves to sell any one of them. They are family.

Yep, my 30 year old who's been with me for almost 26 years and who my farm's named after is a forever horse. I turned down 6 figures for him twice back in the day. .. it's safe to say he has a home for life. He's still sound and dappled and doing a good job keeping the three year olds in line.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

I have two horses with a forever home, without-a-doubt. I've had them for 17 and 18 years and there is no way they are going anywhere.
    The other guy I got to be a temporary home for, and once-upon-a-time (like....12 years ago ) I thought I had found him a good home, but that quickly soured and I begged for him back. If the right situation came up for him (it won't), I might consider re-homing him....but as I'm writing this, I'm thinking the most I could live with is a lease. (Anyone want an older, servicably sound not that well trained fairly hot TB??)
    Hopeless! I would love to have a horse that I could really ride and show and money to do it with, but with this state of affairs, that looks pretty unlikely!
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I have a Chincoteague pony that was my son's 4H project for many years. I'm saving her for his kids. I also have a QH mare that will probably be a forever horse. Unfortunately I only have 4.5 acres, so cannot keep too many forever horses. Well, I guess I can always move!

We have three!

First, a draft/QH my mom bought to trail ride before she realized she had lost all her confidence in the saddle. He isn't a bad boy, just likes to test you. Total character. As soon as you walk into the pasture, he walks up, turns around, and backs up to you for butt scratches.

Second, the old appy my step-dad and I bought for my mom to build her confidence back up. We bought him at 19, he's 21 now. He only shows his "appy-tude" on the ground, which is where my mom can handle it and is a saint under saddle. He's our old man and will be with us forever.

Last is my mare who we actually recently just bought but I cannot imagine saying good-bye to, as I'm already in love. She's 13, and I'm a junior in college. She'll either be coming with me wherever I go or camped out at my mom's house until I can figure it out.

I have one, a 30 y.o. Gelding who taught my dd and me to ride. I board him at my vet's place. I wish I could have kept all the horses I have had the privilege to own. No matter how big a stinker they were. I have loved them all.