The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

I have had Monday for 10 years, since he was 3, and I will have him till the end of his days. He has been such a wonderful horse and has already done so much for me that even if I could never ride him again he has more than earned his keep. I just love him!

Spy is 23, with hip arthritis. I have had him since he was an unbroken 10 year old, though I leased him out for 8 years. He was SUPPOSED to be a sales project but it didn't happen. He has a forever home.

Music is 19 and still going strong. I have had her since she was a long yearling, and she has a forever home.

Belle is 9, and she probably has a forever home. But if the right person offered the right amonut of money, I MIGHT consider...

Chief is a weanling (7 months) and a sales project, so he isn't supposed to be a forever horse.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I retired Logan at 17 years old. I bought him at 9, he was in training for a hunter around 3 - he worked hard for me for all those years - thought he would like living the easy life.

So far he has enjoyed it fairly well...living out 24/7 and he'll be 21 in May! He gets trail ridden on rare occasion. Otherwise he's just a pasture ornament that is arthritic in his hocks but healthy every other way. Sure I'd like to save the expense but he's my first horse and he's family...no matter what I will have him until his last day!!

Trevor is 7 and although I hope to have him forever as well, Logan was first and will always come first...should something happen and I need finances for Logan...Trevor may find himself in a free lease situation. I don't intend to sell him ever but he's young enough that I just don't know what will happen...I'll do my best and the plans are there so hopefully everything will work out that he is with me for the next 20+ years!!

I'm a pack rat...I get rid of nothing!
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

Well, The Old Man for sure has his forever home with me. Because, well, he's Old. He was a "gift with purchase" of our little farmette. He's lame, the other guys push him around, his feet look like they were put on crooked, his lips are saggy and his tongue sticks out. But he's cute and I loff him.

I sincerely hope that Miles and Paddy will be with me forever. As I tell them (and myself) - as long as I am able to keep horses, they will be with me. If something terrible happens and I can't keep them (knock wood that that doesn't happen), I would likely give them away or sell them very very selectively. They deserve only the best!
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I just got back to this thread and had to respond to Susan P. No, having a place to always keep my horses did not mean I ran out and spent a couple of hundred thousand dollars. It meant that 20 years ago, I found a tiny two acre fenced piece of property with an unfinished house and a barn with two 8x10 stalls whose owner was facing foreclosure. I was just able to afford it on a state worker's salary. Later I bought the two acres behind me when the old man who had lived there for years died. Luckily I bought land where no one was buying 20 years ago so it was cheap. That's probably the way most single horseowners have to do it and now that I am disabled and had to retire early, it is all I can ever afford but my boys have a forever home, no matter what, just not some lavish farm that cost a couple hundred thousand. And they could care less about the cost.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have 2. Noel, a 17yr old ISH who was given to me 5 years ago. I used him for lessons and trails until he was diagnosed with arthritis in the fetlock joint. Add that to his funky hocks and it was time for retirement. He came home last month and now has 24/7 turnout, food and shelter. His partner in this equine paradise is Twist, a 12yr old Arabian mare. I got her as a possible school horse, but she doesn't like little kids. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif So she became my trail horse. When my 3rd level TB was diagnosed with EPM, she became his constant companion until his death last month. Her patience and kindness to him earned her a forever home in my barn and in my heart. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

Gosh I don't even own the one that I am considering a "forever" horse. She belongs to someone else and I am free leasing her. I just can't even tell you how much I adore her though. She amuses me whether I can ride her or not. She is one of the few horses that I can just hang out with and enjoy her company. And I will do with her whatever she indicates that she enjoys the most. She will chose her own career http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif I'm thinking she might be one heck of a hunter but...we shall see when she gets more exposure http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif I hope she doesn't want to be a dressage horse....her trot is hell to sit http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

Yep - Denali!

He will be 24 in March, has bad hocks, bad suspensories in both hind legs, is a hard keeper and has horrible feet. He has racked up more then his share of vet bills in the 7 years I have owned him. He is an angel, and after years of abuse before I rescued him, he absolutely deserves every ounce of spoiling he gets. I have had 2 really close calls with him, thought for sure I was going to lose him... I know when he is tired he will let me know, but losing that horse is going to break my heart. Until then I continue to enjoy his friendship and adorable face http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif As my BB name implies, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that horse!!

I just wanted to bump this thread up, because I caught myself wondering this very same question, that I asked back in 2004.

Also, for those who posted here - did anyone's plans change? Mine did. I ended up having to adopt my Happy out, however I am in touch with her owner, and I hope to be in a position to give her a home, when she retires.

My mini -that I got around the time that I started this thread - will be with me forever. My 4 year old Diva, will be with me forever, and most likely my 4 year old pasture puff Ember will be here forever as well.

Anyone else?

We have a 25 year old QH mare, a 10 year old pony gelding, and a 27 year old donkey that are "lifers"...they will never go anywhere. The old girls have earned their retirement and are the best babysitters, and the gelding is such a cranky little turd that I fear no one else would take care of him!
    Juliette Beauchamp, LVT
    http://turtlemountainfarm.com/

*sigh* Raises hand.

At least, so long as I have a farm, they have a farm. (And since it's been in the family for a hundred years, I hope I'm not the one to lose it!)

30 year old who taught me to ride as a nervous adult beginner? Yeah. He ain't goin' nowhere.

Neither is my eponymous naughty paint pony, who went lame three years ago and can never be ridden again. He was my first horse. Not his fault I didn't know what I was doing when I bought him. As a recently gelded green-as-grass 3 yr old. With a bad knee. Who bit people. He's taught me a lot - mostly in the "don't do this again" category, but still. Sadly, one of the more recent things I'm learning is that one bad joint begets others as time goes on, so I don't know how much longer I'll have him. But when he goes, it won't be to another owner.

And Conjure? My one sound sane horse? I love him and I'll always do what I think is best for him. As long as that's staying with me, that's where he'll be.

But I have a farm. So I don't have to pay to board horses I can't ride. If I did? I think that would be a really hard decision to make.

My horse will be with me forever (unless there is some freak emergency where I can't properly care for him). I love him to pieces and he also has a lot of things working against him in terms of selling - he has arthritis and needs injections, he can be a difficult ride, he's 13 and by the time I will be ready to buy a new horse financially he will probably be at least 18. He is the type of horse who can be a push button dream horse one day and the next day he's a spooky bucker, which is why his last owner sold him. He very talented and incredible to learn upper level movements on but he doesn't have the gaits to be truly competitive at that level and I suspect that most people who would want to learn from him would also want to trade up to a fancier horse eventually. In other words, he's the kind of horse who gives people a lot of reasons to unload him.

I wouldn't trust anyone else to give him the kind of life he deserves. He's too smart, he's quirky, he has a wild imagination, he can be a grump, and he's a real character. But I think he's the best.

I have two. First is my daughter's first horse, a QH. He's broken and a bit high maintenance. The second is the very senior, almost ancient boarder who needs some extra attention too. He's here forever as well.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 of my 3 have forever homes with me, and the third is working hard to earn a spot.

Horse one is my heart horse, he's 14 now, I got him when I was barely a teen and put a ton of training into him. He can do anything, we've hacked out on crazy trails, shown hunters locally, gone novice eventing, and done some western gaming. He has some navicular issues we're currently trying to get under control so he is riding sound again. But even if he's not he'll always have a stall in my barn.

Horse two was a freebie companion horse. I got him 3 years ago. I've only put a handful of rides into him because I got him when he was 18 and he has a host of physical and behavioral issues, but he's a good solid TB and I have no doubt I could jump on him and hack him out if I wanted to. He's taught me a lot about horsemanship because he has never been an easy horse. It took me months of work for people to stop calling him crazy and dangerous but it was completely worth it. I never thought my freebie companion horse would end up a horse I couldn't bear to part with but there ya go. Plus he is a graded stakes winner with over half a million in earnings, later used hard at a lesson barn...so I think he's earned a nice retirement.

The third I've only had for 4 months but he's starting to grow on me.

I've never sold a horse. The only one I bought was my first horse and technically he was a gift. I'm young, but I have a feeling I'm never going to be one of those people who can just sell a horse...and that is going to be very bad for business.
    Last edited by SAcres; Oct. 12, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

I've never sold a horse. I never will. I don't have a problem with those who do. In fact, sometimes I think that they're the smart ones. It's just something that I can't do. Right now, I have a 28 year old that I got a couple of years ago, to keep her from the chance that she would not land softly. She's been one of the lucky ones who has never know a bad owner. I intend to keep it that way until she goes to the Bridge. She will be my last horse. But then, I've said that before.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

DD's pony, a 14.1 Appendix, is with us to the end. She has been amazing with DD, and I have a 4yo and a 4month old she needs to teach the ropes to. I had my first pony for 25 years, until he drew his last breath. Mistletoe is 18, so we are definitely her last family.

1 members found this post helpful.

I sent one of mine out on lease for a while and I would have sold him for the right offer. Bluey, I would have never, ever sold, but I was planning to loan him to a very good friend for her daughter...she needed an upgrade for dressage from her pony. This is the same friend who has left her special horse to us in her will and we have left ours to her.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Dain's Irish Tuppence, DD's Connemara Pony, is here for life. They started eventing together when he was 5 and she was 6. They competed at training level for 4 years and were partners for 7 years. He was then leased to others and He has done well over 100 horse trials.

El Primero, DD's first OTTB, is also here for life. She started riding him when he was 3 and she was 13. They competed 5 CCI****s. He is too difficult to be around to trust him with a lease situation, so he is stuck with us. If we all die in a fiery freeway crash, his long time veterinarian has agreed to take him in!

Here's Awesome, survivor extraordinaire, is likely here for life. He is 16 and did a few A horse trials.

Piccolo, is here for life, as is Timar, who DH competed to CCI* then sold. He came back to us at age 16 or 17.

These 3 still sing for their supper as lesson horses for students.

Formal Affair, Who went A with DH, is hanging out here forever also. He runs the gelding pasture and makes sure that everyone goes for a drink when he wants them to.

Sounds like we run a retirement farm????

My family and I currently have 4 that will be with us til the end. We have sold a handful of horses before, but when we buy, we look for forever horses.

At the moment we have a 33 year old Morgan who was given to us by a prior boarder. He is the best companion horse anyone could ask for, and is still fat even at his old age.

17 year old TB that I've had since I was 13 and who taught me the ropes of jumping. We still take lessons and compete occasionally, and he has a permanent stall in our barn.

9 year old Zangersheide show jumper. He can be a handful but is the most fun, snuggly, and kissable horse I have ever met.

Finally, my sister has an 11 year old Fresian/Arab Paint that she rides dressage. She is our only mare, and sure lives up to the role of being feisty and opinionated, but also has a stall in our barn forever.

Can't even imagine ever selling one of these horses.

Mine are here forever. I've never sold a horse but have buried several. I have 4 teenaged horses, a 21 year old, a 33 year old and an 8 year old. I figure I'll be feeding the 8 year old into my 60's since I'm 47 now.