The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by tuppysmom View Post
    She will purchase all small items like brushes, cleaning supplies, stud kit, etc in country. She will ship saddles, bridles, boots, and anything that is less to ship than to purchase. She has some very nice dress sheets, Back on Track blankets, Fleecworks pads, that she really wants to take. Scrunch!

She will also need to take all of her riding clothes, coats, boots, civilian clothes, favorite people treats, LOL.

The dog is staying home although he has been invited too.
    Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS!! That's really exciting .

For the blankets I would purchase one or 2 of these: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63917?feat=506681-GN2. The bags themselves weigh practically nothing, and I have come to the conclusion (as someone who travels across the atlantic twice a year minimum, usually more) that though they may not look as "classy" they are MUCH better value than the square roll on things as they weigh practically nothing and have a lot more volume. They are also surprisingly hardy - my Dad has one for skiing he has used for nearly 10 years and it still looks like new. I even got my saddle in one, well padded, and it travelled in checked luggage no problem.

Consider that it may be cheaper than shipping costs, especially if you go in the middle of the week outside of school holiday time, for you to fly over there if you can for a few days and take a carry on bag yourself & your daughters extra checked luggage. I'm sure she'd also appreciate your help to settle in etc!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Congrats to your DD!!!

I would check UPS's price. Might be a little better. Plus UPS will really go to bat for you with customs. Depending on the customs agent you get you could pay thru the nose (again) for just bringing the stuff into the country. Seriously the fee they assign per item can be affected by their mood. While working for a UPS store a few years back a England customs agent assigned over $300 in duties to used (extremely used) smelly hockey gear. We eventually got the guy to see what they were really valued at, almost nothing except to the college kid they belonged to. Who ever you decide to use to ship her gear make sure you adequately insure it all.
    Proud owner of a member of the Formerly Limping And Still Majestic Equine Society

Congratulations!!
    I would double check w/airline your daughter is flying on.

I see international travelers all the time at Orlando airport with trunks. Of course I have no idea of the cost, but it is common to see families with each person having their own trunk.

I set you a PM, 2LeftHooves is spot on about customs, duties and taxes. However since I work for FedEx I can tell you we do a great job too . Best thing to do is get advice on the front end about filling out documents etc. You don't want to be charged D & T as if these are new items for resale in Germany, FedEx has a hotline to assist. I sent you a pm on some ways to get discounts, numbers to call, etc. I am sure UPS does a good job too, so check out both.

[QUOTE=tuppysmom;6152151]@ Retread. The shipper says that we can send no more than a sheet and shipping boots with the horse. Anything else is charged at a very high rate, hence my problem. I have never heard of this before. We have shipped to the UK twice and were able to send all the gear with the horse. One rider even shipped golf clubs with their horse on one trip!

@Gnep. Thanks! We do feel a little bit special to have landed such a golden opportunity. I still don't know exactly how it all came together, but it did! I guess that Dibo liked her resume and references.

So sunny and nice here this winter in the banana belt of ID. We have only missed 2 or 3 days of riding outside this winter. The mountains all around us have plenty of snow and the skiing is great.

Keep the ideas coming. I will go thru and try each and every one of them.

Thanks all!

She must have been very impresive when she was over there. I can only think of 2 other adresses od equal class, Klimke and Jung. A little bit special, hihihihihi, nice understatement from the Banana Belt of Idaho.

Time to bookmark Dibo's page, I guess.
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

My brother works for Expediters--a freight forwarding company. I can hook you two up and see if he can do you a better deal--they ship everything imaginable from all of Fred Meyer's stuff from Asia to personal possessions of people moving from US to wherever. Shipping by sea is slower, but much, much less expensive. Let me know via PM (his wife is "Lurker" on here and events in the PNW).

And--congrats to DD! How exciting!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

This is what I was going to suggest. Send as much in advance by sea as you can, and just carry short term essentials.

Congratulations on her new job. Since she is one of the probably fewer than 500 active and youngish riders who have finished multiple 4*s, she's already in very elite company; Dibo is getting a very special rider in her. Hope he's paying what she's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    My brother works for Expediters--a freight forwarding company. I can hook you two up and see if he can do you a better deal--they ship everything imaginable from all of Fred Meyer's stuff from Asia to personal possessions of people moving from US to wherever. Shipping by sea is slower, but much, much less expensive. Let me know via PM (his wife is "Lurker" on here and events in the PNW).

And--congrats to DD! How exciting!
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Congratulations to your daughter!

Thanks Viney. No real pay actually as this is more of a working student position. She gets a stall and a room and she doesn't eat much. It's the "starving artist" thing. We have just enough $$ to get them there, so we are in fundraising mode here again!

We look at this as an investment in their education. And I hope she has a really good experience.

Fortunately, entry fees and transportation costs are a bit less there than here. We hope to keep them busy running and jumping. If they can get all of their FEI qualifications done it will sorta kinda pencil out.............. not really, but that is what we keep telling ourselves.

Thanks Flyracing! We have a date to ship from LAX of March 9. The plan today is for Sara to fly with Harry. They have to be at Jet Pets by the 8th, so we will leave on the 6th to tote them down. She could still get a few rides in on your youngster before she leaves!

Please PM me your contact info so I can call you about shipping the gear.

This may work out afterall !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS!! That's really exciting .

For the blankets I would purchase one or 2 of these: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63917?feat=506681-GN2. The bags themselves weigh practically nothing, and I have come to the conclusion (as someone who travels across the atlantic twice a year minimum, usually more) that though they may not look as "classy" they are MUCH better value than the square roll on things as they weigh practically nothing and have a lot more volume. They are also surprisingly hardy - my Dad has one for skiing he has used for nearly 10 years and it still looks like new. I even got my saddle in one, well padded, and it travelled in checked luggage no problem.

Consider that it may be cheaper than shipping costs, especially if you go in the middle of the week outside of school holiday time, for you to fly over there if you can for a few days and take a carry on bag yourself & your daughters extra checked luggage. I'm sure she'd also appreciate your help to settle in etc!
    Ditto on the LL Bean duffles! I got one in high school and it lasted me through college and grad school. It's even been to China and back!

Checking on the llbean duffle bags ASAP! Lots of great ideas! Thanks

Thank you to flyracing! I think we have our equipment shipping issue resolved. Now we just have to cross all the tttt and dot all the iiiii to get Harry and Sara to the plane on time. That's just a short 2 day drive.....

Huge thanks to everyone!

There will be blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by tuppysmom View Post
    Thank you to flyracing! I think we have our equipment shipping issue resolved. Now we just have to cross all the tttt and dot all the iiiii to get Harry and Sara to the plane on time. That's just a short 2 day drive.....

Huge thanks to everyone!

There will be blogs.

Glad the equipment shipping issue worked out and that Sara got on the flight w/Harry Hou. Only thing left is to bookmark: www.dibo-online.de and grab some popcorn!

Very proud of both and excited they have this opportunity. Know the folks @ Majenfelderhof are abuzz at the prospect of these two making an appearance at the March 25th stallion show! Would be so cool seeing Taz and Harry jumping the same xc obstacles!
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

Congrats on getting such a great spot! I'm late on the shipping issue and probably not much help as I tend to be on flights the other way round but I've accompanied many horses that had tack trunks go with them. (one flying out of Amsterdam seemed to have double his own weight in tack with him, there were several spacey trunks, buckets all the way to feeding equipment *lol*

Wish your daughter a happy stay! Maybe I will get so see her out in competition

Def check with UPS. My husband works for them. I almost died laughing when he told me that most of the other shipping companies out there use UPS for the majority of flight items. So sometimes you are paying for one company and they are paying for UPS to ship it for them anyways. Sometimes it works out cheaper, but other times it is cheaper to go directly to the company actually doing the flying.

On another note... Congrats to your DD And to yourself for the help in getting her (and the horse and gear) there!

Congratulations for your family! Keep us posted on her progression please.

Pictures - we must have pictures
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Default Update.

Sara and Harry are getting all settled in Andreas' barn and the tack trunk finally arrived, YAY! It spent a while in customs while we faxed extra paperwork back and forth. Her civilian, non riding clothes, have yet to arrive.

Her birthday was just 2 days after her arrival, but they threw a party for her complete with champagne and treats for Harry!

Harry is getting used to his new feed and figured out the nozzle to make the waterer work.

Sara is riding some youngsters as well as the UL horses and they go just 15 minutes by lorry to school at Luhmuhlen!!!

I think this is going to be a great summer for them both.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Don't remember if you already posted, but who will she be working with in dressage?

Sounds like the adventure is starting with a bang.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Glad they made it! I'm confused. Why would she need non-riding clothes?